Friday The 13th...the saga for unrated versions continues

Will K

Screenwriter
I believe he plans on posting something this coming week, but don't quote me on that.

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
I have heard about this big announcement and I thought with the recent poll about future paramount DVD releases there might be some hope for us Friday the 13th fans, I know that the big announcment is The Godfather well I think so? But we do have alot of support and I think Mr. Blythe has realised the over whelming response so we can still hope.

The FT13 series in it's entireity should be released uncut, uncensored and up to us as to how to watch it. Well, parts 1 through 4 anyway.
C'mon well all have favorites, right? Too much to read in regard to this, so I just scanned the first few, yet I am in full agreement to the opportunity for this series among other horror titles out there to be released with the fan truly in mind. Besides, we buy it ONLY if we like the way it's presented.

JeromyN

Auditioning
I just read this article at the link below regarding Paramount's stance on the unrated F13s, where Martin Blythe basically lays the ground rules regarding the best way to go about seeing these films uncut. Here are a couple of quotes:
"I’ve probably received five (letters) since this on-line campaign began on the subject. They’ve all come recently, and I’m not aware of e-mails or phone calls. That’s more than I usually get. FANGORIA readers would be surprised at how few letters we get."
"It’s important for them to understand that we do read their letters. If someone goes through the trouble of putting it in a letter, that’s the acid test. E-mails and phone calls are too easy. Website campaigns have minimal value."
So, he asked for it. I've e-mailed Paramount a bunch of times. Guess we'll have to break out the pens and paper instead. Anyway, here's the link if you want to read the interview.
http://www.fangoria.com/Partners/Fan...es/2141001.htm

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Mr. Blythe, please tell me if you are indeed wanting a snail mail influx on this title, and concerning the series as a whole, would it truly matter to decision makers at hand or would it be simply wasting our time and yours.
I hate to continue to harp on this movie, Friday 7, but you know how strongly we feel about this film and are simply looking to you for a ray of light on this issue.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
I have pretty much ignored the series as there has been so much angst over it's handling (which I pretty much am ignorant of as well, as I haven't even read a fraction of the numerous posts on these and other boards). What I would like to know, is there any one of the F13 dvds that is worth buying? Are ANY of them presented uncut and with a good transfer? Are they not anamorphic (yes, I could look that up, I know)? Basically, what I'm asking is it just F13 7 that is to be shunned?
And, as to the edited scenes in question. Could somebody also tell me, with a minimum of emotional hyperbole, of the dvds that are missing scenes, are they at least the theatrical versions? Everybody seems to want the "unrated versions" of these films. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the first so many of these movies come out RATED?? Okay, yeah, I agree it would be cool to have cutting room floor scenes, ot MPAA mandated cut scenes restored, but if the dvds at least represent the original theatrical releases, I may finally, after all this time of putiing it off due to fellow forum board members' disdain rubbing off on me, I may just, don't hate me, actually pick a few of these up.
Thank you in advance for any light that may be shed on this.
------------------
"Who made it?! The Shark!?!"
Please sign this Hammer Films petition, thanks!
http://www.petitiononline.com/Hammer/petition.html

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Ben,
The first one is a mixed bag as far as the edits go. On the first real murder in the movie, it does appear to be a bit longer and comes from a source that has not been seen in the American versions. There are also several edits during the climax of the film that have not been in the other home releases, but it is fractions of action MISSING on this scene. Everything in the middle of the film is the same as it has always been.
Part 2...nothing on it, but the original theater release. This one was to have gotten an "X" rating upon release and then was trimmed to be proper with the MPAA. This footage that was cut has never been seen by the general public on any home release.
Part 3...looks way better than it should. For years, the only version of this film that has been available was the P&S edition. Much information has been removed from this movie, and the DVD is very satisfing in showing the film in it's true OAR of 2.35 (the only one of the series shot in this format).
Parts 4, 5, and 6 are the movies and that is that. Part 4's transfer is a tad soft and muddy, but worth it. Part 5 is worth nothing in my book, but the transfer is above average and makes the film look better than it should. Part 6 is very colorful and features the first film in a stereo mix, even though it is 2.0, the sound is very full and contains the teaser trailer for the film.
Having seen the footage from Part 7 that was cut, I can tell you that it would make for a different film. The footage is at times very graphic in detail and hopefully one day Paramount will give in and let the fans own this version, complete with new transfer and 5.1 sound.
Part 8, not much was cut from this film. Though it is often up to debate as to whether gore was filmed or not, from the sources that I have heard from, the director didn't shot gore knowing that it would be cut anyway. So a unrated version of this film would contain only one scene that I know of and that would be the infamous 'dart in the eyes' kill.
All the films are worth having if you enjoy the series. Even if you don't enjoy the series, I still think that everyone's collection should at least have the first four films.
Hopefully Ben this has answered a few of your questions.

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
Chuck...there are a couple brief addtions to the original Friday the 13th dvd other than the complete uncut Annies death scene & the trimmed even more decapitation at the end. Jacks death has alittle more blood spurting up than in the R rated cut which cut away just as a tiny puddle of blood started coming through the arrow wound.
Also Marcy's death is slightly uncut-you see her slide down the wall briefly when she gets axed in the face. You see the end of this scene,while uncut..the slide is longer. I heard you never see the ax hit her face,it was filmed but looked fake,so they cut it.
I think i'll eventually buy the first Friday,at least it'ssemi-uncut as i call it.
part 3-to finnaly see it in widescreen
part 6-because it is awsome,though sadlly heavily censored

I'd love to see part 7 & the rest of the series uncut. So i won't bother buying them,until then,which sadly will probably be never with the way Paramount is behaving about it + how certain people are just giving up & telling us to stop requesting it. Well i'm not going to give up & i know alot of other smart people aren't as well
!!!!
Keep up the fight!!!!
Down with censorship!!!

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I would love to see all the Friday films get released with extra footage. Not only do I want to see the extra footage they show on TV versions, but I want to see the unrated stuff, especially from Part VII.

I have already purchased 5 of the 6 Fridays (refuse to buy Part IV), but I will gladly re-purchase them in the form of Special Editions or extended cuts.

Steven Philips

Auditioning
I would love to see these films with extra footage, expecially parts 6 and 7. Inclusion of the extra TV footage would be great as well. You have my support. I will not buy Part 7 next year unless it is the uncut version.

Will K

Screenwriter
Wasn't there a version released in Japan that was uncut?
Only the first film was released truly uncut. The rest of the series was released internationally in the same ol' censored R versions we have in the US, with the exception of the Dutch version of Part 3 having a snippet or two of Jack Valenti-unapproved gore. As a matter of fact, British versions are further cut than their US counterparts, if that's possible. We need not remind anyone around here that Part 7 is the most censored in the series and hasn't been released uncut anywhere.

C

Christina_V

Well i was going to cut & paste my thread with various uncut pics form the Friday series....but the links won't work now!! So i think someones trying to keep us(at least on this board) from veiwing them.
So if you want to see them....go to www.diabolical-dominion.com
Go to the cut scenes section and you should know where to go from there.
+ Paramount.....continuing to ignore us is not going to help out at all & only make things worse + may lead to more $$ lost instead of gained.
So far looks like part 7's only gonna be released butchured as always next year.......just think of all the FX that have gone to waste thanks to the MPAA & a ignorant(so far,but that can change!!!) studio.
Another sale lost from me.........my $$$ is going elsewhere(for now) to studios that actually care about there fans & films in general.
Though theres a chance that could change if you'd just wake up!!
So as always.....keep up the fight,down with censorship & no matter what happens,who try's to stop you........keep spreading the word....we won't let this serious issue go away!!!

Chuck L

Screenwriter
About a month ago, I sent a personalized email to Mr. Blythe asking him if it would seriously help our chances of getting the film uncut if there was an organized snail-mail campaign. He has at various times stated that online petitions and email and such are not what the studio desires, but that they want actual letters.

I am more than willing to head a organized letter writing program and submit the letters all at one time to the Paramount heads. Again, letter writing is what he has said in various publications what is the desire of Paramount. The letter just simply asked if Mr. Blythe felt that it would be worth our time and energy to pursue such a time consuming effort and to what regard it would truly matter.

No response from him.

Since, he has posted several replies to various posts, staying clear of any reply in regard to the Friday series. This gravely concerns me in the fact that it seems that many of us that have been rallying for this release have been spending our time in vain. This is not meant in any disrespect toward Mr. Blythe, but Paramount really should show some concern to the fans of this film (not only in the movie that you have benefited from over the past twenty years in theater revenue but as well as home video) and to those folks, that while maybe not a Friday fan, are in full support of ending the reign of terrorism from the MPAA in regard to home theater releases and movies in general.

C

Christina_V

Theres a chance that he & or the studio are just hoping we all go away.....again which is very dis-respectful & why as of today i only have one Paramount dvd in my entire collection....Apocalypse Now Redux.
So thats the tough part.......no matter what,don't give up...even if they continue to ignore us...well it won't be brushed away easily as if this never existed.....hmm maybe call a news program & do a report on all this(censorship ect)......or articles in Fangoria,Entertainment Weeky ect? That will get some exposure!
All in all......we'll just have to see what happens AFTER parts 7 & 8 are released next year........then we'll truly know wether they actually listen or not & we may be stuck with just the current censored versions

Also saw a post at Fridaythe13thfilms.com with a message from the director of Part 7 who said that Bylthe past him on & now he has to talk t othe promotions department(to convince them) & show them every single letter received on the subject which is impossible of course and they know that!
So they're trying to keep our spirits down and just give up.......well DON"T otherwise they win!!!!

C

Christina_V

Heres the email from JCM at the Friday board.
>>>>>>>>
Originally posted by GET SLASHERS ON DVD
I E-mailed Mr. Buechler and got this response
Hi,
Blyth passed me onto the promotons department, and now I'm supposed to
pitch them on the concept. In order to do this I need a copy of all the
letters, and E-mails. --They know that that's imposssible.
I've not given up yet. When the new Jason movie comes out we can make a
big noise. --Maybe even before. Paramount Pictures has expressed
interest in a new horror movie that I've just completed, (CURSE OF THE
49ER). This might be a bargining chip to use. --I'm trying!
The best,
John Buechler
>>>>>>>>>>>
Also other than all the gore being cut out.......the impressive makeup effects(alotof hard work,attention to detail) they did on Jason where censored as well.......the MPAA thought Jason's face looked alittle to "grisly" so they had to constantly keep him in the shadows,darkening all the shots he's in so you don't get a clear look at his rotting head.....aside from the ending i'm sure.
So this movie is pretty much the pinacle of censorship going overboard and destroying a film more than any other in the series.............so do you want them to get away with that?
I'm not giving up & i hope others won't as well!!!!!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania.farrell