What's new

Friday The 13th SEs/Box Set Info Coming on September 19th!? (1 Viewer)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Taken from DVD File....

You've survived 11 movies (and counting)... but do you think you have what it takes to take on Jason yourself? As the ol' hockey-masked fiend gets ready to do battle with Freddy tomorrow, Cinescape has just announced a super-scary Friday the 13th amateur filmmaker contest. You've got 13 minutes or less to try your hand at "paying tribute to, poking fun at, or having your way with" Jason and the mythology established in the first eight Friday flicks. Deadline for submissions is September 8th, and then on Friday the 19th, the winner will be screened at Maniafest -and better yet for DVD fans, there will be a special midnight screening of the original Friday the 13th at midnight complete with a panel discussion beforehand (with very special guests), plus the revealing of official news about the upcoming DVD box set. Check out the Cinescape website (http://www.cinescape.com/0/News_2.asp) for the full scoop.
The actual link to Cinescape mentions nothing of the upcoming DVDs though...

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
Seeing as an SE of the first part is coming out in r2/4 soon, I wouldn't be surprised if newer editions of the whole series aren't underway. Good news for fans, anyway...

Will K

Screenwriter
I'm kinda skeptical of this "official news" of a boxed set. According to prior reports, that release isn't projected until at least Fall 2004. I doubt Paramount would provide details so early, unless it's just a mere confirmation of their intentions.

Chuck West

Stunt Coordinator
From Box Office Guru:
"It was a sold out main event at theaters as Freddy vs. Jason killed the competition and grossed an estimated $36.4M in its opening weekend beating industry expectations. The final big release of the summer season played in 3,014 locations and averaged a bloody $12,085. It was the sixth biggest August opening ever and the largest for the second half of the month. Freddy also represented the fifth R-rated pic to open at number one this summer."

I bet the vaults at Paramount are being raided for F13 footage as I type this. :D

WillG

Senior HTF Member
It says "Boxed Set" I really hope it won't be just the current versions of the movies with a supplementary disc at the end, but each movie get a special edition treatment. Anyone have any ideas?

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I just want to have them all in a set with some kind of features...and Uncut versions would be very nice...I wouldnt mind waiting a year if they were all Uncut...

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Well, obviously the highly reqested uncut versions are the first thing anyone looking at these re-issues would want...

I guess this news has something to do with the price drop thats happening on the original discs this week...

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator
Delurking for the first time in ages, I'd like to chime in here with a note to Paramount,
If they aren't uncut, I'm not buying :thumbsdown: no matter how much extra material they include.

As Will K already mentioned, It's doubtful any jaw dropping information will be spilled on September 19th, but I'll be online just in case!

Sadly I don't hold out much hope, we all know what happend to "My Bloody Valentine" & the requested uncut release by MBV's producer John Denning (Who interestingly, found ALL the gore trims & scene extentions totalling 8-9mins!)

It's a crying shame they won't sub-license these American mainstream horror classics in full bloodied versions & quite frankly it's a slap in the face for Friday fans who have made them an unholy cash cow for Paramount.
This all takes me back to when Part 6 ("A lad Insane" IIRC?)was being filmed, a film journalist friend was on set & while most on the production gave the impression they were proud to work on it, several suits from Paramount came to set putting people down & ripping the F13th series to bits, very sad.

Anyhow, worst case scenario, they'll include rough quality work print versions or worse still the MPAA cut footage, which would amount to what, mere seconds, lumped together in a supplement at the end of each film :frowning:

You'd think the box office takings for "Freddy Vs Jason" & the forthcoming uncut F13th SE on R2 UK dvd would make Paramount dig deep into the vaults for the definative versions....

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
I bet the vaults at Paramount are being raided for F13 footage as I type this.
If Paramount were smart...which I would NEVER accuse them of being...they would do this. But considering their biggest advisors are Ben Franklin and the gang, they just may finally give us Unrated versions.

If Warner Bros. is smart, they'll release Freddy's Nightmares here in the states instead of just to R2.

Will K

Screenwriter
Worst case scenario, they include rough quality work print versions or worse still the MPAA cut footage, which would amount to what, mere seconds, lumped together in a supplement at the end of each film
I think the worst case scenario would be not getting the cut footage at all or even worse, the footage being lost forever. Don't get me wrong; I'd love to see the full original cuts without the MPAA butchering but I'll be happy to see the stuff even as a supplement. Not that I want to encourage Paramount to do a half-assed job. :)

Martin Blythe

Second Unit
Well, I'm "dying" to prove you all wrong but will hold my tongue. Did anyone decide to answer the challenge to shoot a F13 homage for the Maniafest/Cinescape announcement? If you missed it, go back to how this thread opened.

Carl Walker

Stunt Coordinator

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
People, this is what Paramount has been saying all along "we'll possibly re-visit them when the theatrical versions are finished."

There's no doubt in my mind that, along with the rise in success of FVJ, and the lack of theatrical versions left, they'll put out something we can be happy with.

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator
Oh Martin, you tease!

Well, at least this Halloween I can screen F13th uncut on my 43" plasma, I guess the rest of them will have to wait until next Halloween ;) If you read between those lines....

An addition to the cut stuff, while trawling through my F13th files, I found an old Fangoria with Part 2's cut footage mentioned, it lost 48 seconds....

BTW anyone here read the great news over at the Mobius forum regarding "EvilSpeak"?
Anchor Bay US have obtained the rights for the uncut version :)

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Martin, it is nice to see you chime in on this thread to be honest and hopefully you mean what you say when you are 'dying' to prove us all wrong...hopefully that means it will be happening eight times over...:)

(Keep in mind though...you can only improve on part five so much...damn that one needs some help!)

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

OOOOOOOOHHHHHH....the suspense!!!!

I'm glad someone from Paramount is actually sharing some semi-positve feedback concerning these recent developments.

As long as the cut footage is integrated back into the features I will buy this set on street date and treasure it forever.

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm the plot thickens, I've just been told the alternate ending for Part 3 should be finally seeing the light of day...Let's hope Dana Kimmel doesn't have final say!

I hope the long rumoured F13th footage of Bill's death is found, that is if it ever exsisted?
It certainly wasn't in the first Italian, German, Spanish, English, Greek, French nor Polish releases, as I've owned them all.

In fact of all my years collecting F13th memorabilia, I've only ever seen three versions of part 1, the R rated US cut, the unrated UK/Ger/Fr/Pol/Sp/It/Gr prints & the R1 dvd with the additional Annie footage...

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
Martin:
Are you able to confirm to us at least if this thread heading is true or not, that there will be some sort of official announcement on Sep 19th? Thanks in advance.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
(Keep in mind though...you can only improve on part five so much...damn that one needs some help!)
Hey now! Part V is my second favorite film in the series. :p) If you want one that needs some help, look at the horrid Jason Takes Manhattan with its truly godawful ending in the sewer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks