What's new

FRIDAY THE 13TH SERIES: Uncut Footage at last? (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I hope it's okay that I'm borrowing this post from FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE COMMUNITY, which talks about an interview posted on Bloody Disgusting.com:

This is an interview that is posted on B-D with director of HNWJ, Daniel Ferrands. He mentions helping Paramount work on the SE's for 4-6 and 7 and 8 and Paramount letting him dig through their film vaults for material pertaining to 'Friday the 13th' for the upcoming SE's:

BD: And I understand Paramount is going to release special editions of a few more of the films now?

Farrands: Yeah, after we finished His Name Was Jason, I was contacted by a guy who produces the special features for many of the Paramount DVDs, and he had been searching for a guy who really understands the franchise. And I think they had run into some issues on the reissues of Parts 1-3, and Paramount wanted to do new things, new material for 4-6, and consequently we'll be doing 7 and 8. They wanted somebody with a lot of knowledge to bring something new to the table. And after the things we didn't get on our show, it was a great opportunity for me to come in and work with the people who actually own this material and be able to give fans more of what they want. I can't promise that it will have everything that everybody has always wanted to see, but we're getting there. We're making progress. We've found some amazing things that nobody has ever taken the time to look for. My editor Andrew Kasch and I have just been scavenging the lowest dregs of the Paramount vaults to find the things that fans want to see. We've have limited success with some things, but we're working on it and believe me, there's so much passion behind it. We're doing our best to put something out that will hopefully make the fans more satisfied than they were with the previous versions that Paramount put out.

BD: Anything specific you can tell us that we might see?

Farrands: It's still being worked out, I can't say a lot. There will be some scenes, especially in part 4, that fans will be VERY interested in seeing. That's all I can say right now. But there are quite a few clips that have been recently uncovered thanks to our work. And it was a lot of work!

BD: And when will those be in stores?

Farrands: 4-6 will be coming out in June, I've been told. And 7 and 8 will come out after that, and I am hearing there will be a new boxed set before the end of the year, but I don't know if that is official yet.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info, Joe.

It's too late for an uncut Part 2 or 3 (until the next re-release anyway) but I'll keep my fingers crossed for an uncut versions of the others especially The Final Chapter and Jason Lives.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'll believe it when I see it because it's still too early and too many things can go wrong (a studio dickhead saying no, deciding to hold out for yet another release, milking single releases and then a box, footage being in too bad of shape to add back).

EDIT TO ADD: When 3 goes Blu I hope they include the commentary track.

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator

Here's a link to the original piece http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/interview/539

Interesting, so it's official, previously no one has taken the time to do a proper vault search, hmm...

And who was that said if it exists it would have been found by now? Alicia Silverstone's Clueless indeed.

One wonders If Paramount were watching My Bloody Valentine's extended SE sales closely.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
It's too early to know exactly what to make out of this, but of course certain people have regularly gone on record as being "certain" that "this stuff does not exist".

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator

I just place them on my ignore list. I have better things to do with my time than read such pontification.

Still very interesting news, and something I'm inclined to actually believe over a certain person's written as fact speculation.
One wonders whether they'll dig up the MPAA censored 47 seconds from my personal fave Part V A New Beginning...plus a no holds barred Danny Steinmann commentary would be sweet. Although his Savage Streets comm covered some juicy bits on Friday 5.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've held off on getting the current 1-3 SE till they drop in price, but if they collect them all in BLu into a big boxset, I'll gladly double dip on them.

In the mean time, I'll hold my thumbs for an uncut part 4!

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I do think we need to all thank Simon for his hard work in getting these released. If it weren't for his non-stop calls to Paramount and then finally listening to him, it's clear we wouldn't be getting any of these re-releases. :emoji_thumbsup: Simon for your work with this franchise as well as your work to get MBV released. Good job. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Wow! Super-great news! But of course, I´ll ultimately believe it when I actually see it. ;) But sounds good.

Yep.
New footage = 80% chance that I´ll get them, even in DVD.
Unrated footage (gore, blood - and more Jason) = 100%.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Saw this posted at another board. I'm still curious why the commentary to part 3 isn't being carried over for the Blu.

All on June 16th:

Friday the 13th Part 2 (Blu-ray)
* Audio: 5.1 Dolby TrueHD, Mono
* Languages: English, French, Portuguese (Subtitle only), Spanish
* Inside 'Crystal Lake Memories' (HD)
* Friday's Legacy: Horror Conventions (HD)
* Lost Tales from Camp Blood - Part 2 (HD)
* Jason Forever
* Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Friday the 13th Part 3 (Blu-ray)
* Audio: 5.1 Dolby TrueHD, Mono
* Languages: English, French, Portuguese (Subtitle only), Spanish
* Fresh Cuts: 3D Terror (HD)
* Legacy of the Mask (HD)
* Slasher Films: Going for the Jugular (HD)
* Lost Tales From Camp Blood, Part 3 (HD)
* Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (DVD)
* Audio: DD5.1, Mono
* Languages: English, French, Portuguese (subtitle only), Spanish
* Commentary by director Joe Zito, screenwriter Barney Cohen and editor Joel Goodman
* Fan Commentary with Adam Green and Joe Lynch
* Lost Tales from Camp Blood - Part 4
* Slashed Scenes
* Jason's Unlucky Day: 25 Years After Friday the 13th - The Final Chapter
* The Severed Ending
* Crystal Lake Massacre Revisited - Part 1
* Adam Green's Dead Dance Moves (Adam Green's Dead F**k Dance Moves for menus, not pkg)
* Original Theatrical Trailer

Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning (DVD)
* Audio: DD5.1, Mono
* Commentary by director/co-screenwriter Danny Steinmann with cast and crew
* Lost Tales from Camp Blood - Part 5
* Crystal Lake Massacre Revisited - Part 2
* New Beginnings: The Making of Friday the 13th - Part 5
* Original Theatrical Trailer

Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (DVD)
* Audio: DD5.1, Mono, 2.0 Surround
* Commentary with director Tom McLoughlin and Cast & Crew
* Lost Tales From Camp Blood - Part 6
* Crystal Lake Massacre Revisited - Part 3
* Jason Lives: The Making of Friday the 13th - Part 6
* Meeting Mr. Voorhees
* Slashed Scenes
* Original Theatrical Teaser Trailer

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'll pick up the Blu-rays of Part 2 and Part 3 but unless Parts IV, V and VI are uncut (which doesn't look like it's happening), I'll wait for the Blu-rays on those ones.

It's been a while since I listened to it but isn't Tom McLoughlin solo on the Part VI commentary? It's possible that the info listed is wrong or he's recorded another track with more people and his commentary from the box set is being left off of this release too.

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator
Ho Hum, I'll have to buy the Part V disc, as Danny Steinmann's recorded a commentary. The completest within insists ;-)

And yes, shame they still can't be arsed to reinstate cut footage. So the rest can remain on the shop shelf as far as I'm concerned.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Good catch Travis. The director was certainly solo so perhaps they recorded a new one or they might have just edited the commentary and then added in some new stuff from the cast.

It seems these releases are being done right so I won't complain about them but it's a tad bit irritating that the "best format out there" must wait a few extras months.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it is. When they re-released the first three, I bought the original on Blu-ray and the 3-D version sold me on rebuying Part 3 on DVD. Then my completist mentality of "Well, I have parts one and three so I'd be an idiot to not get part 2" set in and I bought the Part 2 DVD as well.

This time around, I really want to hear the commentaries on Part IV (my favorite of the series) and Part V (my least favorite of the Paramount movies but I'm oddly fascinated by it so I want to hear what Danny Steinmann has to say) but I'm sure they'll be out by October on Blu-ray so I'll keep myself under control this time... maybe.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm not sure where the original story came from but I've read a few boards saying that the 3D will not be included on the Blu. "Reports" have it that the studio wasn't happy with some of the "reviews" that were so negative so they're keeping it off. I personally don't buy that since the overseas releases also didn't include it. However, at the same time, I'm worried about a future box set that might contain the 3D as well as the extra commentary tracks.

I'm going to guess the sales were great on the previous releases considering how many times I saw them sold out at local stores so perhaps we have even more releases coming at some point.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad to hear that PART 3 will have the 3-D verison included. Quite frankly, though I love Blu-ray I wouldn't see the point in watching PART 3 in Blu without 3-D, now that we've had it released that way on SD (I would have bought the Blu-ray for extras, but relied on my SD of PART 3 to watch for the 3-D).

I'm not interested in any more standard DVD releases on the F13 films. I deliberately passed up the recent repackaging of PART 2 on regular DVD because I knew we'd get the Blu. I am awaiting 4,5,6,7,8 in Blu-ray also before I'll buy them again. As a fan of the series I am interested in all the commentaries and other extras, but I've got to believe that these will be repeated when the inevitable Blu-rays are released.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Thanks, Travis. That's good to know because a couple sites posted artwork saying 3-D but then reported that it had been taken off the release. I'll probably sell off my SD and get this just to have a complete set. I really don't need to see this one again.

Any updates from the guys who were quoted in the original post?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks