What's new

Friday the 13th Boxed Set-should I buy? (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I initially didn't want to buy this because Part 3 isn't in 3-D, but I met Ari Lehman (Jason in Part 1) this weekend at the HorrorHound convention in Indy. I read on Amazon that Part 7 has been censored (the sleeping bag death) from its theatrical version. I'm not sure these will be released again...should I buy or not? Thanks.

mike kaminski

Second Unit
Real Name
mike kaminski
Yeah Paramount has been very careless with this franchise, especially considering its potential market in the wake of the Freddy Versus Jason re-popularisation.

With regards to Part 7, I remember the director of the film saying that he had a workprint version with all the uncut gore that could have been used but that Paramount just wasn't interested. I think Part I is the uncut version as per the previous single-disk version (this appeared in the Laserdisks as well AFAIK) but none of the other films have been expanded with their original unrated material as far as I know. I thought there was a featurette on the disks that showed some of the uncut footage from the other installments, so I believe you can see SOME of it, just not integrated into the films. Thats my understanding--I don't actually have the set. The sleeping bag death was always censored--I don't think I've heard of it being cut down further, but i could be wrong.

From what I can tell, the set is a mixed blessing--nice to have the films in better versions that the previous crap-tacular single-disk versions, but this is not yet any kind of definitive collection of the films. And they are also split so that two films are on a single disk I believe. I was interested in getting this, knowing that its more or less as good as the franchise will be treated given Paramounts flagrant disregard for it, but the price drove me away; if you can get it cheaper than it was when it came out then it might be a decent investment. I would be very surprised if Paramount did anything more elaborate than this set since they've had a history of not being too kind with the series, so if holding out for a better version is whats keeping you away then i say stop holding your breath and get this one.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Mike. I guess I have been spoiled regarding Part 3, because I saw it on the big screen a few years back with a packed audience and the 3-D effects were very effective.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter

It also makes a great drinking game. You must say the name of the object being thrust from the screen or you must drink!

I'm happy with the singles. I'll pony up the $$$ for proper treatments.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
That's correct about the versions of Part 1. The uncut print (full Annie's death, and full Mrs. Voorhees death) is available on R2 DVD from Warner Bros (with commentary from Cunningham and 'Return to Crystal Lake' documentary). If only Warner Bros had the US rights, the box set might have been a different story......

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I remember that right after the set was announded, and fans were going "No uncensored! That sucks!", there was a chat with one of the Paramount PR guys. He said, when the subject came up, that they were considering a better boxed set sometime in the future.

I assume that nothing has ever come of this? I held off, wanting to avoid the double dip, but I might give in someday here.

mike kaminski

Second Unit
Real Name
mike kaminski
The previous single-disk release was a double-feature deal so i will say yes. This would probably more accurately count as a repackaging.

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator

Well, this is kind of a tough one, actually. I, personally, bought it recently, but not until the price had come down pretty considerably (I'm pretty sure that I picked it up for around $40 or so). The movies themselves are must owns in the canon of slasher flicks. I mean, it's Friday the 13th!!!

But, of course, the fact that they are not uncut is always going to be a sore point. However, my guess would be that we probably won't ever get any better. The catch-22 is that people will want to hold off buying this in hopes of a better release coming out. But, the powers-that-be will probably see the lack of sales as a lack of interest and will therefore not rush to get out any more product to improve it.

On the plus side, the documentary that comes exclusively with the set is pretty cool and spends time on each of the eight flicks individually. That, for me, pushed me over the edge on the set. Plus, there were a few other, not-too bad featurettes, and commentaries on 4 of the films.

I initially agreed on being kinda upset that part 3 is not in 3-D, as I caught it in the theaters originally like that, and loved it of course. However, since then, I've only ever seen it in non-3D, and all of the items flying towards the camera in a very obviously filmed for 3D style kinda adds to the cheese factor of the whole thing, which to me - cheese is what many of the 80's slashers are all about...

I guess, in the long run, I'd say that if you can find it for a decent price (which you probably should be able to), then I'd recommend that you pick it up. The movies are classics, the special features are pretty good, and we're probably not going to get any better any time soon. Plus, the box is pretty cool and you've got eight flicks packaged in a small amount of space...

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Jason! Maybe if someday in the future of dvd dreams, they release Part 3 in 3-D, I can just supplement it with this set. It is a bummer they aren't uncut, but as long as they are the original theatrical versions, I'll live (no pun intended.) I've just been psyched about these since meeting Ari last week...he was so very cool and nice...and he posed for a pic with me, brandishing what looked like a real machete! Very cool.

IanD

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if the version of The Final Chapter contained in the box set corrected the apparent sound flaws present on the single disc?

From IMDB:

"Sound cues are missing from the DVD release. They occur in the following scenes:
When the 'Final Chapter' title card explodes through Jason's mask, the 'sweeping sound' is missing.
When Jimmy meets his demise, the stinger sound when Jason plants the corkscrew into Jimmy's hand is missing.
When Sara meets her demise, the stinger sound effect is also missing when a closeup shot of her lying on the floor with the axe planted in her chest is shown."

Also, my single UK DVD of Part 3 has squeezed opening credits ala some of the James Bond UEs. Was this flaw on the original Region 1 or boxset DVDs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoeeee
Recent bookmarks