What's new

Friday Night Lights - Season 3 (NBC) - No DirecTV Spoilers! (1 Viewer)

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

I know right, it's just like that old sitcom "Cheers." I never understood why every episode had to take place there, enough with the bar already!

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
they should rename this Wednesday Night Lights with Jack Bauer and infused time travel stories like Lost and add in Jack Bauer just to spice things up.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member

That comparison might make sense, if not for the fact that 80% of FNL already takes place off the football field.

And there were episodes of Cheers that showed places other than the bar.

But since the bar was just a way of getting the characters together, you're helping make my point. Just like Cheers was not really about drinking, FNL is not really about playing football.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Another great episode. I am sad that next week is the last episode, but happy that we will have two more seasons of FNL.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Lance really brought out the best in Tyra. That was a moving vignette. Bold choice to have the big game in the penultimate chapter. I don't watch previews, so I don't know what to expect next.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
There you go, Joe, you have your loss for the Panthers. :frowning:

Man that was sad, especially considering the circumstances regarding JD, it was unrealistic for Eric to expect him to play his best in that game.

I'm beginning to get a small lump in my throat, hearing them ask things like "So what are you gonna do next year?" and hearing Matt talking about going to Chicago just sort of hit me..."We're really going to lose these fine kids soon." :frowning:

With the game loss, JD and the realization that they'll be going away (both the kids and the show after next week) it was a sad episode for me but another winner nontheless.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I had to look up the definition penultimate and agree that it was a bold move. It shows that football is not the main focus of this show.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter

It's a page out of the HBO 13 ep season playbook. Build all season to the big event in the second to last episode and then use the last ep to wrap things up and set up the next season. As for the show not being about football, I'm not sure why that's a sticking point. You be the judge after watching next week. ;)

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
That sucks about the DVDs. I was hoping that NBC would offer both cuts of each episode via seamless branching.

When I saw that Dillon left South Texas (could that be more vague?) time to score, I knew they were going to lose.

Riggins putting his cleats on the field reminded me of Rulon Gardner putting his shoes on the mat after winning gold in Athens.

That morning scene at Chez Riggins was both horrifying and hilarious. Billy peeing into the sink was just wrong. Since Lyla was already in the bathroom, he couldn't have just jumped into the shower and done the deed in there. I guess there isn't enough privacy outside for him to go pee on a tree like I had to a few times when I growing up and living at my dads (10 people; 7 women; 1 bathroom; you do the math).

When I read Tyra's essay in last week's TV Guide, I thought it was a April Fool's joke. Bastards.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I just read that and I will purchase this season set despite the music substitutions. Also, I was completely unaware that the version DirectTV aired is different from the NBC version. How many and what kinds of edits are we talking about? Are there edits in every episode? In the past, Universal has done a great job of including deleted scenes for nearly every episode as a bonus feature. Perhaps the DirectTV edits will make their way onto the season three DVD in that way. As far as the songs go, although I do not like music substitutions, I DVR the whole season anyway so I have that to fall back on. I am buying the season three DVD for the improved picture and sound quality, the special features, and to show my support for this very fine television program.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
NBC has been saying "go to nbc.com for bonus footage" all season, so the scenes are probably available there.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
It makes sense if it's part of the deal with DTV. I suspect DTV has exclusive rights to the extended versions - something they can use to attract subscribers who would otherwise wait for the NBC broadcast or the DVDs.

"Underdogs" goes onto the long list of classic FNL eps - the ones where you can say "TV doesn't get any better than this.". The "night before the game" sequence was just brilliant.

Now that the show has been renewed for 2 more years, it's time to go to work on the chowderheads at the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. The lack of recognition of FNL at the Emmys is criminal. The acting categories alone should be stuffed wth FNL cast members.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member

If that's the case, it's not working, since I'm a big fan of the show and did not know until today that the DTV and NBC versions were different... so how exactly was keeping that a secret supposed to lure me into subscribing to DTV?

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
As far as the music subsititutions, I don't even notice the music on FNL. I can't ever recall saying to myself "the music is really good on this show, where can I find that song". I watched Season1&2 on NBC, Season 3 on DirecTV and own Seasons 1&2 on DVD. So the DirecTV, NBC and DVD music differences don't affect me. The longer episodes would be nice on DVD, or at least have them available as deleted scenes.

The Wednesday showings in the fall on DirecTV definitely work better for me than on Friday nights like NBC is doing.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I don't really notice the music in FNL, either. It's probably because none of the songs are familiar to me. So music substitutions in this show is not a deal breaker for me.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Re: FNL Music. The only song I've ever noticed (and would be upset if it was replaced) was "Deviltown" from the 1st season. Luckily the 1st season DVDs are intact.
Point taken. Anyway, I was just speculating.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The S1 DVDs have the disclaimer. If they are, in fact, intact, maybe they just put the disclaimer by default.

I remember Skid Row's "I Remember You" this season, along with the Flaming Lips. But, Landry's band sang that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks