What's new

Friday Night Lights - Season 2 Thread (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The general rule is that you can talk openly about an aired episode. If you have knowledge about what happens in a future episode, it needs to be spoilerized.

Not only is Landry an intelligent kid in love with a hot chick, but I don't think it's a stretch that he would't be cool and collected after killing a man.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Once an episode is aired, it's fair game. Otherwise you couldn't discuss a series. We all spoilerized all talk before the episode aired. After it's aired, it's open. If you have advance knowledge of anything unaired, it should be spoilered.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Logically I hear what your saying about coach Taylor, Greg, that in real life people move on and they don't come back, but i'll be damned if I don't want him back in charge of the Panthers in spite of that and like you I would totally tell myself that "sometimes in real life people DO come back." if he does return. ;)

It feels so much like he's doing the wrong thing with this job and being away from home for weeks on end. They just had another child for cryin' out loud and Julie needs him there.

Go home, Eric, go home.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Happy to be here, Greg, it's all thanks to you bud. :emoji_thumbsup:

BTW, Wendy is now 2 episodes into disc 2 and it's hooked her as well, she told me today that she cried her eyes out when the team went to visit Jason in rehab. :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

LOL. It's spreading like a virus! She'll show it to two friends, and they'll show it to two friends, and so on, and so on. . . . :P

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Greg!!!!!

I loved your posts on the Fonz danger, Lyla's newfound Christian zealotry and Coach Taylor in Austin vs. Dillon.

And, if I may add, that it was a rather gutsy call, IMHO, for Riggins to say what he said about Lyla being in a cult. :D

It is contents such as that which make this show true MUST SEE TV!!!!!!!!!! :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks. :) It is, for me, the best show on TV by far. I like quite a bit this season, so that's saying something.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Agree that the dead body plot had me rolling my eyes. Can't stand my favorite show to go the way of ordinary tv crap. But ... I keep telling myself that the writers took cliched storylines and threw curveballs last season and made them good, eg. steroids, racism, infidelity. They can save this. Body isn't in the river yet. Wish Landry hadn't made the team, but they'll probably turn that into a good story too.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
He hasn't made the team, has he? I think it's just tryouts and cuts haven't been made yet. I'd expect him to drop out after this, but who knows.

The storyline just kind of resonates with me. A guy expected his night to end with an attempt to get to first base, and he ends up killing a man. I can just feel the crushing weight of that and hope I'm never in a similar situation.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I figured he made the team based on his being in uniform at the ring ceremony, but maybe you're right. After all, they didn't show him doing anything good on the field.

I like where the Jason Street story is going - choose coaching or friendship. Very grounded story.

The dead body thing just seems so outlandish for this show. Not that he did it on impulse, but that they'd cover it up. And how do Landry and Saracen have cell phones, but Tyra doesn't? The damsel in distress thing had me screaming "call 911" at the tv. If they actually dump the body, how are they going to make the two of them likable characters again? I think they will go to the hospital or police and say it was self defense and that'll be the end of it. Maybe with a little FNL plot twist to make it interesting. At least I hope so.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I sometimes miss details like that, so maybe I'm wrong.

Also, I thought it was a lead pipe, but I watched the scene in a commercial, and it's definitely a bottle.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Landry was on the field when Taylor was presenting the rings to last year's championship team. I assumed that was right before the first game. So I assumed he had made the football team, but I also think he will quit very soon.

I too, was a disappointed in this new plotline. As someone else mentioned, the producers thought they had to infuse this type of plotline to get more people to watch the show. I just hope the plotline doesn't go much further, and doesn't end badly for those involved.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
That's the truth. That is basically what I was the couple of years I was on our high school football team. It didn't even help me get a girl either.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was one, as well, in my sophomore year (on the J.V. squad that also practiced a bit with the varsity) , but a few of the varsity players got hurt trying to tackle me in the drills as I had a low center of gravity with decent strength (I felt bad about costing the team some varsity starters), unfortunately I didn't have much speed as a fullback and weakside linebacker, and quit playing after suffering a fractured wrist when someone's helmet tagged my wrist on a goal line play a few games into the season. It was okay, though, I hated that cotton mouth from the August practice sessions.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Like the storyline or not, I don't think it was a ploy to get viewers. Why would they make that leap? "You know how to boost the ratings? Have Landry kill someone!" I just don't think that was the motivation.

Someone mentioned the scene between Street and the new coach. That was a case where I agreed and disagreed with the new guy. True, Street has to put on the coach hat and not the friend hat. But, if he has insight into what will work and not work with a particular player, why not use that? Then again, I've never been involved with a football program. Maybe it isn't a matter of adjusting your style to an individual player, but making the players adjust to your style. If so, the coach is totally in the right.

One thing that bugs me now and bugged me last season is TMU. Everyone knows SMU is in Dallas and UT is in Austin, so the fictional route seems false. Dillon is fine. I've lived in Texas all my life, but if you told me there was a town called Dillon with a top-rated football team, I'd believe it. But, UT and SMU are nationally known. I don't see why they didn't just make the school that hired Coach Taylor be UT, unless there is some kind of legal reason preventing it.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
It's a bottle in the version that was released early on the internet, which was also shown in the promo for the premiere when they repeated the episodes last month. Could have also used that for commercials too. But in the version that was finally aired, it is a pipe.

I guess dying from being hit by a bottle was less plausible. So at least now people can't bitch about that detail :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
The way the coach came off to me in the scene between him and Jason in his office was that of a man who's a hard ass and is used to doing things his own way with everyone and I believe that's accurate to real life.

It's just like if you have a nasty task master for a boss who's always yelling at you, that's how he's used to doing things and more often than not people like that have a hard if not impossible time curtailing their behaviour to suit individuals to get better results.

For example some people respond well to being pushed hard that way and some don't, like me for instance, I respond better to being told to do things in a calm manner, I don't need to be yelled at and when I am screamed at it only serves to both piss me off and make me want to tell he or she to take this job and stick it straight up his or her ass and walk out of there.

In short, the new coach is just mean and hard and he's going to treat everyone the same way regardless of whether or not his methods make them better players...Street was wasting his time with that little meeting.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

I loved that scene. While they are setting up the new coach as a bit of a "villain" I completely agreed with what the coach said there. As soon as Street said "Tim is a really good friend of mine," I winced. He should definitely have approached the coach about that issue on a different tact.

I share everyone else's concerns about the Tyra/Landry plot but I thought the rest of the show was as good as ever so I'm willing to give the writers the benefit of the doubt and see how it plays out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks