Friday night I was forced to do something absolutly terrible!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I rented a movie on vhs!! [​IMG][​IMG]
    For months now i've been lobbying, darn near harrassing Universal to release Three O'Clock High on dvd but to no avail. Friday night I went with a freind to our local Blockhustler so that I could buy some used dvd's, and while I was in the checkout line I remembered this little gem of a movie and ventured into the desolate wilderness that is the vhs area just to see if they even carried it anymore. They had it. Decisions decisions right?
    I took a quick deep breath as if I was about to dive into the ocean and grabbed it off the shelf. I then asked my freind to rent it for me on his account since I don't have one, I shredded my card about 3 years ago. [​IMG] After looking at me like I had a third eye growing out of my forehead for a second or two, he agreed.
    I felt dirty, filthy, downright unwashed like I hadn't showered in a week my freinds! I was so desparate just to SEE the film again that I sank that low. As soon as I got home I watched it, I was happy to see the film again, but dear lord the picture quality was an abomination! I still have it, it's not due back until this Saturday.
    In regards to Universal, i'd like to quote Ed Harris from The Rock...
    "Damn you for forcing me into this position." [​IMG]
    Please, PLEASE, PLEASE!!! Universal, release Three O'Clock High on dvd! [​IMG]

2. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Why is VHS really a bad thing?

Has this forum really become that elitist?

I have Steamboat Willy on VHS thanks to an old Seiko tabletop clock deal and I watch it every now and again without feeling guilty or even pained at the video quality. Simply put, untill the Walt Disney Treasures tin arrives, I'll still watch this VHS tape.

Same goes for a dozen other films that I don't have on LD...like Telling You, Me and The Mob(one of Sandra Bullock's first films), and Chino.

And yes, I'll admit to watching VHS via coaxial and with a mono only output VCR.

I love DVD but I also love movies way more than DVD. If a movie I love is only on VHS and I don't see it coming to DVD nor can I find it on LD, then I'll gladly view the VHS tape.

Its better than nothing.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    A good VHS is more than enough of a good presentation if the DVD doesn't exist.

There's plenty of VHS tapes (in OAR) that have great quality...just a lack of digital picture and sound.

4. jacob w k

jacob w k Stunt Coordinator

I tried watching my vhs copy of Phantoms yesterday but only got through about 10 minutes before I turned it off. The picture was all washed out and the sound lacked a certain punch that I have gotten used to. Dvds have ruined vhs for me.

5. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

6. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    What gave away the fact that I was serious? Was it the smilies and wink faces? [​IMG]
    Lighten up guys, I was being dramatic for effect. The experience of renting a tape wasn't THAT bad obviously.
    I have nothing against tape perse', but I havn't rented one in at least 5 years. DVD has ruined me for anything else. Normally, I would NEVER view a film on tape, i'd just assume wait for dvd.
    Bear in mind also that the copy I rented was the original tape release from 1987/88, so it's been watched hundreds of times in hundreds of vcr's. Do the math and it adds up to an atrocious picture.

7. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

VHS isn't THAT bad people. Many of the films that we wait for now on DVD are the same films we were first introduced to on VHS. I grew up on Dawn of the Dead VHS. Now it's still my favorite film.

8. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

If the point of your post is hoping to get Three O'Clock High released on DVD, I must say, I am with you 100%. What a great funny flick.
    Three O'Clock High, Rubin & Ed, and Quick Change are the three comedies that I want released the most on DVD.

9. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

Until MGM releases "To Live & Die In L.A" on DVD, I'm stuck having to rent the VHS version (either that, or hope that TCM cut a deal with MGM Television for an uncut OAR version of TLADILA to air late night on the network).

I still rent VHS...how else will I see titles like "Pass The Ammo" or a lot of exploitation pieces from the 70s and 80s (the kinds with Linda Blair, Michael Pare, naked breasts and lots of bloody violence?)

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I like my sex and violence, what can I say?

10. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

I'd buy Three O Clock High in a second on DVD.
    I still use my VCR - to record TV shows.
    It still has some usage - but not much.
    Maybe we have gotten spoiled.
    So spoil me! [​IMG]
    Calvin

11. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

Being somewhat of a John Carpenter fan, it's hard for many to believe that I have never seen Prince Of Darkness. Needless to say, I have had a strong urge for quite some time to see this movie but finding the DVD for sale or rental is near impossible. Thus, I might be renting this on VHS in the near future provided that I can find it. Of course, that would mean that my first viewing would not be in the film's OAR.

12. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

I have absolutely no problem watching VHS - as long as its in the OAR.

13. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I dislike that most VHS tapes present their movies in a cropped or otherwise modified aspect ratio. There are, however, lots of VHS casettes presented in OAR, and in these cases, I don't understand why everyone is so down on VHS

14. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

The last time I watched a VHS was April 4, 2000. I remember the date because it was when Episode 1 was released. That swore me off of VHS...which brings me to my more recent hobby ... Laserdisc!

15. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

16. TimDoss

TimDoss Second Unit

Hell yes this forum has become that elitest! VHS is the
    devil and has no place in any self respecting home theater
    enthusiast's collection. I never want to relive the hell
    that is rewinding ever again... and to not be able to pause
    and see clear boobies??? I look down on any person who has
    not burned their entire VHS collection in a naked DVD worshipping
    ritual in their front yard. Sure, tape tv shows, share home videos... but to watch
    a movie??? ARE YOU INSANE?????? I would rather have my ass
    dry shaved and doused with lemon juice. [​IMG]

17. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Just last night I rented the VHS version of "The Lord of the Rings" because it is so-o-o-o much better than the widescreen DVD.
    Hey ... HEY!!! Put those pitchforks DOWN!! I'm kidding!!!
    Thankfully, it was ONLY to get the puke-and-scan screen shots for my web site. [​IMG] I walked up to the counter and said flat out, "I want you to know that this rental does not mean that I condone pan-and-scan in any way!"
    (I would have rented the puke-and-scam DVD, but my local BlockBuster had ONLY widescreen DVDs for rent!! {insert applause here})

18. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I still have 50 to 100 VHS tapes that I still watch. I have not rented a tape in more than 10 years! I quit doing it after a really gummed up rental tape royally screwd up the heads on my VCR. I have enough videos in my library of varied types that I could watch a different one each night for 3 to 4 years without repeating.

19. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Deleted duplicate post!

20. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter