Friday Night Benefit

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Oliver, Sep 20, 2001.

1. David Oliver

David Oliver Second Unit

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/ap/20010919/100090912900.html
    Besides the networks listed in the article I believe MTV, VH1, BET, and Comedy Central will be joining in. I hope the stars actually donate, I expect that they will. i realize some don't like to make a public thing out of it, since it might look like they are seeking publicity, but I think it would be encouraging.

2. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

I'm watching it at the momont, and have to say that it is the most professional production I have ever seen on television. Nothing crass or insincere about it. I am truly in awe of the performers and the heartfelt feelings they are showing.
    I hope there will be a CD or DVD of the telethon in the future.

3. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

I'm liking it so far, very professional...my only complaint is trying to guess the people singing (I know most of them, but still).
    As to the actors donating, I don't want to see the numbers of what the famous people donate....I wouldn't want something like this ever mistaken for a cheap publicity stunt. I would like it if they posted the overall numbers somewhere on the screen.
    Andrew
    ------------------

4. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I'm driving out to the HTF Meet in LA, and am watching it now in my motel room in Van Horn, TX. I agree, everything I've seen so far is top-notch. An excellent variety of musical styles & performers, all in fine form. The opening number by Bruce Springsteen was stunning - I assume that's something he wrote for this event??
    Also great to hear Stevie Wonder doing one of my favs from "Songs In The Key Of Life" (and so appropriate). Neil Young doing "Imagine" - Wow!!
    I do hope they release a CD/DVD - all proceeds could go to the fund. Would raise them a bunch more money.
    ------------------
    Too many DVDs, too little time...
    AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

5. Bryan Farris

Bryan Farris Agent

Any telethon where Jack Nicolson and Al Pacino are reduced to merely answering phones has got some serious starpower!

6. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

Craig, the song The Boss played "My City Of Ruins" was first performed Dec 17 2000 back in Asbury Park, an inspirational song of a city rising out of the ashes.

7. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    I don't even think they showed credits at the end?
    Who was the young, clean cut singer, that sang while Neil was on the piano? His voice sounded familiar? and of course the young latin male singer was Enrique Inglasis (sp?), correct? I even thought Mariah did a good job although it looked like she was having a hard time with the high notes?
    A nice change.
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Regards,
    Todd

My HT

8. Kristian

Kristian Supporting Actor

9. David Oliver

David Oliver Second Unit

I agree with what everyone says here and also changed my mind about what I originally wrote about the celebrities. Classy and touching all around.

10. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

Seeing Vedder with short hair was rather disorienting. But I think I enjoyed the song he sang the best.
    I was a little annoyed they didn't get an American to sing God Bless America. I don't mind that Celine Dion performed, but it was strange to have a French Canadian doing such a patriotic song. But that's just a minor quibble.
    ------------------
    Brad Grenz
    intelligenTV
    the Widgets

11. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Didn't they keep the location under wraps? I noticed this, along with the absence of Vice President Cheney at President Bush's speech the other night. I certainly can understand such precautions but hope this isn't indicative of a future pattern.
    However, I was really impressed with the professional and somber tone set by the show. There was no pretense, ulterior motives or commercials (!) present. Class act. I do believe that there was mentioned a CD to be made (not sure on the DVD though that would be great) and the benefits going to the victims' families. I will be purchasing this one and would recommend everyone else do the same.
    What I'd like to know is did anyone here call in and if so, did you talk with a celebrity?
    ------------------
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. -Franklin D. Roosevelt.
    My Top 10 of 2000 My Top 10 of 2001
    [Edited last by John Thomas on September 22, 2001 at 05:19 AM]

12. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

13. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

Jim, you have it right.
    It was a symbolic gesture for all of North America.

14. JeffH

JeffH Auditioning

The show was very well done and indeed a first class act. I would like to echo the comments of appreciation for such a great show and them caring to show up. If you noticed, they did not announce stars names on purpose. They wanted it to be a no credit, no glory show and just have the tone set for a united get together. It seems they did achieve just that and the cloths were everyday and not dress. This goes back to entertaining the troops with Bob Hope and others.
    I would also purchase a DVD of it and would also like to suggest that 100% goes to the charity. That would get me to buy and many others too.
    Jim Armstrong:
    Without knowing the context in which you are using the statement "I'll check my maps again, but, I'm pretty sure Canada is in America." I can't know the exact meaning. However, Canada is it's own country. There is North America, South America then there are what people call the "Americas". Some refer to the "Americas" as North America, Canada and Mexico together. Correct coverage geographically in statements includes all the countries which encompasses South America as well.
    We are of course, the "United States of America". [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Jeff
    ------------------
    Visit us on the web at: www.AudioVideoForum.com

15. timH

timH Auditioning

HI
    Great show but I have one question. There was a female singer just before Tom Petty, I thought it was Faith Hill but I could be wrong,does anyone know who she was?
    Thanks

16. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Overall, I liked it, I enjoyed Stings and U2's performance. The one act that I could of done without, I was cringing when I heard it and I had to change the channel was I think Limp Bizkit (only cause I think I know what Fred Durst looks like and he looked like him) HORRIBLE butchering of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here.. I mean he was changing the lyrics and it just didn't go. If he was going to change the lyrics, why couldn't they just write a new song or something. Being a big Floyd fan just didn't help either but I couldn't watch or listen to that so I never finished it...
    Jay

17. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I know what you mean, Jay. When I heard the first notes on the acoustic guitar they seemed familiar. Then I heard the first chord change and I knew it had to be "Wish You Were Here". Then he sang the first verse and I just couldn't believe they had picked one of my favorite songs, I was singing along.
    And then came the all-new non-Floyd lyrics substituting for the second verse, plus a second refrain ending with "So Glad You Came" instead of "Wish You Were Here". They could not have been less profound.

18. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I have to disagree with all the above posts. Yeah I'm sure it raised a ton of money, but how depressing. Even the hero stories were read in a depressing manner. And when the actors tried to put some feeling in it, it just didn't work. The only performances that I really enjoyed were U2, Tom Petty, and Dave Matthews. All the actors and performers were acting like this is the end of the world. That was NOT a good impression to put forth upon the nation that was watching.
    ------------------
    Michael Alletto
    Mike's DVD List
    Alletto.com

19. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    I'm surprised no one mentioned the last fifteen minutes. That was a pretty painful thing too watch. Goldie Hawn looked absolutely horrible. I'd never seen so many people that looked like they didn't want to be somewhere, than in that last fifteen minutes.
    I'm not ragging on the show. Hey, great idea, raised a load of cash. But I honestly didn't like it.
    Doug

20. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

No one's mentioned that the guy singing "Wish You Were Here" with Fred Durst was John Reznick of the Goo Goo Dolls.
    WAS that Faith Hill?