Fresh Insttall of XP?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin_Graham, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Kevin_Graham

Kevin_Graham Stunt Coordinator

Last night I installed the driver for my memory card reader (camera) and the automated update seemed to go just fine. Later when I closed an open window the computer shut down and went in to auto-reboot mode. Now I can not get it to completely bring up XP again. It either goes into auto-reboot or I get the blue screen of death. I tried booting with the XP CD but I couldn't get any farther than running a completely new install. Is this necessary or is there some way I can delete the driver without XP's help??

2. Don Smith

Don Smith Extra

Hi Kevin,
    Try boot up your computer in Safe Mode by pressing down the F8 key while your computer is booting. This should allow you to access your computer and let you safely remove the driver that you need to take out.[​IMG]

3. Kevin_Graham

Kevin_Graham Stunt Coordinator

Hi Don,

I did try safe mode as well but it chokes also.

4. Thomas_Jones

Thomas_Jones Auditioning

Does it give you the option of doing a repair install instead of a complete install? This should only reinstall all essential windows components without deleting your other programs or settings. You'll have to reinstall all your new drivers, but it shouldn't impact important files.

If you can't get that option, and if safe mode is choking up as well, it doesn't sound good. That might mean an essential part of windows has disappeared. Hmmmm... Try getting into your system's bios at startup and checking those areas. If it's a USB card reader, you may have to enable the USB ports, or something similar. Make sure there aren't any conflicts there.

Good luck.