What's new

fresh breath is a priority!!! (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
another useless rant by yours truly....

i dunno about you all, but i think having fresh breath should be more of a consideration for more people.

working at best buy and talking to people, i can't get over how gnarly-funky some of those people's breath is. i literally have to stand back sometimes.

me personally ....

i always brush my teeth in the morning, after lunch (yes, even at work where people in the bathroom look at me strange), and before i go to bed.

i keep altoids at my desk (if i know i have to visit someone else's cube at work, i pop an altoid before i go over), and tic-tac's in my car.

to quote farmer-ted (sixteen candles), "fresh breath is a priority in my life!"

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
I agree with you. Some people breath are so bad that it's impossible not to stop them and walk away.

Most people problem is the need of cleaning of plague.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I use a tongue scraper, it works great. Most cases of bad breath are from plaque buildup on the tongue, and not in the teeth.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Someone explained to me once that 'bad breath' was actually food particles caught in your esophagus that had, well, gone bad. To remedy this, not only should you brush your teeth but eat something in the morning to 'scrub' these particles out of there.

Now, the person who told me this isn't quite stable, so I'm not sure how valid this information is. Anyone heard of this?

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
Most halitosis (bad breath) is caused by gram-negative anaerobic bacteria that metabolize amino acids (proteins) into sulfur gases. These bacteria are found mostly on the tongue. Hydrogen sulfide and methyl mercaptan are the two primary gases responsible for bad breath.

Have you ever noticed that while you floss and you're pulling all that crap from underneath your teeth, the floss smells bad? Well, imagine that in your mouth.

Brush your teeth and tongue, floss, keep bug-levels low.
I'd rather have someone give me funny looks for brushing after lunch than someone giving me funny look cuz my breath reeks. :)

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
I have a problem with bad breath. I brush regularly, although not after lunch usually. Perhpas I shold do that. But within a half hour the dragon returns. I just had a cleaning at the dentist so perhpas that will help for a while, but to be honest, I dont think it will. I've never been able to figure out why I have bad breath all the time.

I keep Altoids at my desk at work, in my backpack, and in my car. I try to never be w/o them. I keep an Altiod between my lip and gum almost all day at work so that I never offend anyone but I find that lately I'm getting tired of them.

I've tried those stips and while powerfull they seem to wear off soon.

-Marshall

always looking for the bad breath silver bullet :D

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Marshall,

Could be something your eating... A poor diet can cause bad breath... Eating tons of meat can cause bad breath...

For example, some people who do the Atkins diet smell horrible like old gas bombs... All they eat is tons of high fat meats, stinky cheeses, and eggs... Their bodies also smell... Those people also dont eat any fruits or vegetables...

I think if you cant get rid of bad breath no matter what you do, it could be something your eating...

Take a look into what you eat, cut something out, and see if thats what is causing it...

Test different things and see if that helps...

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
Marshall:

I'm not a halitosis expert but I am a dentist. I came across an article which talks about zinc ion therapy. It comes in a two-phase solution called Tri-Oral. The guy who wrote the article practices in St. Louis.

The point is....there is help out there. Halitosis is a specialized field and if your "dragon" is affecting your self-esteem and has a negative affect on your daily lifestyle, you deserve better. Ask your dentist to direct you to other professionals in your area.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I had to tell this one dude I used to hang out with that his breath stinked. I don't know if it was because he didn't brush often or because all his teeth were covered in gold, but dude's breath was bad. One day I was like fuck it and told him. He took it well. Sometimes people don't know, you have to inform them.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Marshall, try the tongue scraper (get it at most drugstores in the toothbrush section).

I use it every morning and night, its NASTY the amount of plaque on your tongue... more than you'd EVER expect to get over a single day.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter

Your idea of the Atkins is misguided but I'll save that for another time. Anyway, it has nothing to do with the odor of the foods you eat. People on very low carb diets are in a state of ketosis and symptoms of that include bad breath and body smell. Diet does play a role, obviously, but if you're following a special plan then it could just be a consequence of that (which is nothing harmful in and of itself). If you're eating a wide variety of foods and still have a dragon breath, then it's probably something other than diet.

Many medications induce the same problem. I've been on several medications that make cause the same metallic taste/smell ketosis does, but it was because of a medication I was taking. Nothing I could do, really, except do my best and wait until I didn't need the medication any more.

I guess the question is, does your sweat smell bad too (and I don't mean regular BO)? If it's an oral problem, ie too much bacteria, then the smell is likely to just be localized to your mouth. If your sweat and body have a strange odor too, then it could be something metabolic (like the Atkins induced ketosis).

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Leila,

I know quite a bit about the Atkins diet and every other low carb diet... I cut out all sugar and some carbs and lost 30 pounds... So, some of it I agree with... I followed the Suzanne Somers one for awhile, because IMO is was much healthier and better balanced... She allows fruits, vegatables, a few cheats, ets... What it all comes down to is eat healthy and well balanced... Cut out all sugar (which is deadly to the body)... The basis is all the same... It's mostly just common sense...

I of course dont mean everyone who does the diet... I just mean the small group of people who only eat high fat meats, cheeses, smelly eggs, etc. all the time and drink no water... They do not follow any of the other guidelines... They eat and drink nothing really healthy ever...

If you eat nothing but things that smell and rot, maybe you might smell like a rotten dead rat...

I know this? Why? Because two people I know who started the diet smell horrible... They only eat all the dairy, meats, garlic, onions (Their only vegetable), and drink diet pop... Nothing else... After a month, we need to spray Forest Spray, Cherry Spray, whatever is around...

That doesnt even work... It still smells like an old stankin fart, but with the scent of the forest...

Their skin actually smells like meat after it sits out for a couple weeks... The scent they give off is deadly... They would make good self defense weapons for the army...

It smells like they are rotting... Half the time you might think they are already dead... They smell that bad...

JamieD

Supporting Actor

Of course, this is a wide enough sample to make a broad sweeping judgement, as usual. Disgusting.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
My roommate is on the Atkins diet as well. Nothing but chicken, a gallon of milk every single day, Special K, wheat cereal, low-carb bread, yogurt, and apples. I really hated the smell of chicken by the end of last year, the smell has gotten even worse this year because he's got garlic chicken as well. I can't wait to live in my own room next year.

Scott Thomas

Second Unit
I love the topic on Bad Breath, I've been using the tounge scrapper for years and I can see what my mouth has to offer. Luckliy I am VERY self-conscience about my breath. I always try to take care of it somehow either buy mouthwash, water, green tea, gum and/or mints.
I too have expirence with people with bad breath, sometimes its not worth even talking to them.

Are there any products out there that can test your condition of your breath?

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Ryan, my point is that the smell is not due to the fact they consume smelly foods (save for garlic, but that's a different issue). The smell is a function of their metabolism, which is excreted through their sweat. Because they don't eat many carbs, they are in ketosis. This ketosis is what makes them smell not the specific foods they eat.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy

Ethyl Mercaptan is also the additive used to give propane it's rotten eggs odor. :laugh:

I have sinus problems, and that can give me a real case of stank breath. Unfortunately, no amount of brushing, tongue scraping or whatever can help it. Until my sinus stops draining, I'm hell to live with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks