What's new

Frequency waterfall charts of a few familiar favourites (1 Viewer)

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Any chance for Titan AE- Ice Field & Earth explosion?

I'm looking at getting a SVS subwoofer- from the above charts it looks like a 16hz model (16 PC Plus) is recommended to get the full effect. It looks like the majority of films now have sub 20hz stuff.

My room is around about 4M x 4M (~800 cu ft) so would a 16 be better than a 20, as it'll be loud enough anyway? Ta

DavidES

Stunt Coordinator
What about "The Hunted" first chapter explosions during the village burning? Anything in there worth posting?

BTW that was a good entertaining story.

Later

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Yeah! He teased us with it about a month ago.

Cruel, Ming, Cruel :D

Looking forward to seeing TTT DVD tonight and hearing/feeling this for myself. Always love to see Ming's graphic displays of our sub-killing favorites, though.

JKS

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
LOTR TTT will have to wait. I'm waiting for the 4-disc version coming out later in this year. But in the mean time, do shout out the incredible bass scenes in this and other movies.

The blackrider scene(can't remember exactly, but its somewhere 40++mins mark, during the hobbit's trip thru the marshes)........ its a classic bass freak scene, at least for my pre-view copy in DD.

We see for the first time one of the blackrider on wings in a closeup shot of their clenched fist. As the camera pans out to whole the blackrider on the dragon, the soundtrack fades to predominantly the softer background music. Thats when we hear for the first time the flap of the dragon's huge wings. I'll leave it to everyone to experience this bass. Because the way this scene is made, the deep bass is not obscured unlike explosions.

Off the record, this scene doesn't generate very deep bass, but it certainly impresses me on my 16-46pc+. Becareful not to turn the volume up too loud.

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
What about in the LOTR:Fellowship when the ring accidentally slips onto Frodo's hand at the Prancing Pony and the Ringwraiths 'sense' it and turn towards the Prancing Pony?

That bottoms out my 20-39 everytime at -10db from reference! Actually, I just blew my driver with that exact scene at that same level and had to order a new driver!

Troy

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Any new charts in the making?

The black rider scene in the marshes in TTT is awesome. It may not go low (anyone measured?) but the effect is awesome.

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
I only have the academy screener version to chart out. I'm just waiting for the 4-disc version to be released and at least 3-4 waterfalls can be plotted for quite a few scenes.

1) The first chapter where gandalf hits his staff onto the bridge. This scene is slighty different (sonically) on the TTT than it is on the LOTR. Anyone felt the same?

2) The flappity-flappity scene in the marshes.

3) The explosion scene in Helm's deep. Immediately after the explosion when the rocks are falling, those rocks hit the ground with subsonic glee.

4) The ents seem to go deep too. Just out of curiousty to chart them coz they are indeed fascinating to listen.

Ok, waiting to TTT:EE.

Erik_C

Stunt Coordinator
The black rider scene, I think, goes down to at least 18hz. Why I think so is because I've got my HDTV antenna on my sub (Velo 18"), and the antenna vibrates violently at 18hz. I heard this rattling during the dark rider scene, and thought it sounded out of place for the movie. I checked, and the antenna was dancing! Ergo, 18hz bass.
That's just my guess. I'd love to see a waterfall.
-Erik

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

Ok, this one blew me away... Finding Nemo, when Darla starts knocking on the fish tank with her cute rendition of "Twinkle Little Star"... :)

SVS PB-2+ brought that utter mayhem into the room... :)

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Hi guys, those are some really cool bass freq. charts. Thanks for posting them. :)

I have a question. I've been looking at the colors shown in the graphs and at the color key,
but I'm not quite sure what the numbers mean. For example, the color key shows colors
corresponding to 80db, 50db, etc., but what are these numbers relative to? They can't be
absolute numbers, unless you aren't recording the SPL levels at reference level, because they
would be higher than 80db max. The chart would have to go up to at least 120 db to cover
max SPL at reference on certain movie DVD's that are very hot.

Red seems to mean higher SPL, but it has 10 or 20 db listed next to it in the chart color key.
But 10 db above or below what?

A detailed explanation of exactly what absolute db levels (in other words, what db levels
you would be reading on a Radio Shack meter if you were standing at the viewing seat
while playing these movies at reference) the various colors in the chart mean would
be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
Lee-c,

Graphs are done in the "digital domain", so -10dB would mean 10dB off the absolutely highest possible signal in the audio stream (48KHz/16 bit here, otherwise DD is quasi 24 bit). -0dB bass peak on such a graph with Dolby Digital calibrated levels would most probably mean 115dB on a SPL meter (if we were only monitoring the LFE channel; but in my case, with the front left and half a center channel summed in, about 118dB, I guess)...

(Can someone please correct me if I blew it?)

My plot is done in realtime with Spectrum Lab (free program) using the AC3Filter Dolby Digital decoder (open source!), with both front and LFE channels on the left channel.

It would perhaps be a bit better to monitor only the LFE channel, but I'd say that it would be meaningless... We only look for the highest peaks in desired frequency ranges anyways... :)

As for SPL readings... I have yet to pick a SPL meter... We'll see. :)

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Rudi B: Thanks for the info. :)

Ok, so the scale is relative to the highest level (hopefully set for DD Ref. (115 db) when testing bass),
I wasn't sure because no where was it indicated what those numbers were relative to.

Actually, since some DVD's run over ref. levels, it would nice if 00db on this scale was 120 or 125db,
just to make sure that the scale could take into account even the hottest DVD's at ref. Can this be done
by electronically comparing signals calibrated to some known accurate lower db level on one of the DVD's
bass signals, and then setting 125db max on the chart relative to that known db level?

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
I guess the levels could be calibrated to represent the levels against DD ref.

I'll see if I can find a way to indicate it wrt to DD ref levels. Anyone already knows how we could do this properly?

But typically, these chart will indicate the relative levels. That's enought to know how deep things are going.

Hey rudi, be sure to first calibrate and check for intermodulation distortion and harmonic distortion. Before I do any charting, I'd play pure sine tones at various freqs to check for harmonic distortion first. Sorta like a calibration test for the analyser.

Test for harmonic distortion (single tone test) and for intermod distortion (multi-tone test). Just to make sure the analyser PC does not introduce error.

Jon_Krug

Stunt Coordinator
ming, u had mentioned jurasic park 3 (or is jurasic lunch the same thing?). that was one of the first movies that i tested out my pb2+ on and i feel like that blew away lotr's. (ofcourse i could easily be wrong, but that was my impressions). as u said, lotr seemed very bass heavy and i actually had to turn it down a little bit so it didn't sound too unatural to everything else.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Hi Ming. I was wondering if you could come up with a good 20Hz sceene so I can see just what I can put out? Maybe a 20 Hz sceene where I can add 7.5 to the DGTL RS meeter safley with out any question? If a 25 Hz sceene would be easyer then that would be fine also. I would rather not use my bass disk.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Steve,

Check this scene in the Matrix (about 42:55 acording to SVS's site) which appears to have a decent swell at 20Hz. Honestly, I've never been too impressed by the 20Hz content in this scene. More impressive is the "whoosh" of the machine's arm going by (which I believe is what you're seeing at the very top of that graphic). YMMV.

Also try in Fellowship of the Ring where the wraith is seaching for the hobbits under the tree roots. If Tom V. is correct the second synth. tone is around 22Hz. This one is definitely more impressive on my setup.

One that I don't have, but have heard is impressive is from Unbreakable right before the Train wreck
. Very high amplitude which looks to be right about 20Hz.

Hope these suggestions help!

JKS

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Jeremy i'll give it a try and see what I come up with. My wife is gone for ten days.:) :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks