What's new

Frequency waterfall charts of a few familiar favourites (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
My Kenwood HTB Sub used to slope off pretty quick starting around 30-35Hz. It's amazing to see how much content there is in the depths that I was missing before I built my Tempest-based sonosub.

Like on Jurassic Lunch, pretty much all of the stomping content is below 30Hz, so I wasn't really hearing anything until the dino roars. :thumbsdown: Imagine my surprise when I listened to that track with the Tempest. :emoji_thumbsup: :)

JKS

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
Just a show of hands, who wold like to see the bass content of Telarc's 1812 Overture hybrid SACD (CD layer) with the real-life cannons blasting off?

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
ok to 1812.:)

Ming, if you have Unbreakable there is this great infrasonic bass content at the beginning before the actual train derail.
It starts when Bruce Willis resting his head against the window.I don't think this scene was ever measured or published,it would be great to see it.

BTW use the DTS track on this one,this particular scene is much more "pronounced" on the DTS track then on the DD track.
Or for fun you can measure both.
Thanks!

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Lewis,

"Unbreakable" is another that SVS has charted on their website. See "Train Ride" here.

MingL,

For what it's worth. SVS also has the Telarc 1812 cannon shots charted here, but again, I prefer your charts to theirs, so go for it!

JKS

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Unbreakable" is another that SVS has charted on their website. See "Train Ride" here.
Yeah but I wonder if it's the DTS track, it is quiet louder,and I'm not talk about overall loudness,it seems that only the bass got pumped,at least on this scene.

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
Okie guys, here's a bass overload of the few "reference" dvds for bass.

Toy Story 2, opening Sequence

Generally a well loved bass test sequence. Bulk of the the loudest bass peaks are in the 30hz region, in the TS2 logo stomping onto screen and the rocket bursts from Buzz's rockets.

Infrasonics stretch really low here. Thou it does stretch almost to oHz, those are almost 20dBs lower than the 30hz peaks. But there are certain instances where the infrasonic bass can be felt without the overwhelming 30hz peak.

IMO, a bass fest for anyone without an EQ subwoofer system. Its practically bass everywhere from 0-100hz.

For those with subwoofer EQ'ed system, this disc will demonstrate what deep bass is all about: Controlled yet aggressive!

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
U-571 CH 15: Depth Charged

This is the initial portion of the U-571 "Depth Charged" chapter.

Here we start off with the german destroyer charging thru the water. That evident with that slight bass shot as indicated above.

Subsequently, depth charge explosions all peak about 30-40hz. It will be tough to pick out the infrasonics because we are constantly overwhelmed by the boomy explosions at those peak frequencies.

Generally, all the depth charge explosions are centred about 35hz, extending down below 15hz. Generally, all subs will do the explosions with aplomb. Not all subs will reach down deep thou. Is that gonna make a big diff whether it goes deep or not?

Frankly, its noticeable ONLY IF you've heard this movie with all its infrasonic glory intact. For someone who has never heard the movies with its infrasonics glory, it difficult for them to understand whats the big deal with the extra bass extension. For example, the infrasonics can only be felt/heard if the depth charges are explosion in the background. Esp in Chapter 15 (01:19:00-01:19:30) partially not captured in the waterfall charts where we have some smaller background explosions during a tense conversation. Those background explosions explode from 30hz to just below 20hz. We can easily point out these have some infrasonics since its not overwhelmd by 40hz bass peaks unlike normal close-quarter explosions. Close quarter explosions will overwhelm all infrasonics with all its low-mid bass content.

On a bass head POV, the depth charges will impress visitors not familiar with deep bass. It goes loud, heavy and scary. Palms sweating, legs shivering and eye lid flapping bass.

Definately a good movie to show off any subwoofer. Not a movie to show off infrasonic ability, but good enough to show off bass quantity.

IMO, this movie will clearly be one of the best movies to show off and demo the benefits of with and without subwoofin' EQ. With room modes typically between 30-50hz, a good EQ standard will remove the blurred and smeared bass details which otherwise un-eq'ed system will suffer from. Try it! It certainly was the case with my BFD on/off comparison!

Just remember we'll need a house curve to show it all off!:D

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
I'll just do a quick one for Telarc's SACD hybrid 1812 Overture later on.

Have been slightly busier lately coz I'm starting to learn the ropes of THD testing for my SVS.

I'll come back more with fight club, and boo crying/laughing scenes from Monster Inc.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Hey Ming,

I know this will sound funny here with the likes of Jurassic Lunch, FOTR, SWII, etc. but do you happen to have "Notting Hill" in your collection?

My wife and I were watching this last night for the first time since I built my Tempest sonosub. During Chapter 3 when Anna kisses William, there's a pretty nice rumble that I had never noticed before. I'm guessing that it's in the 24-26Hz range with decent amplitude. There are also a few other similar effects other times in the film (like when Anna first comes into William's bookstore) but those are more like 50Hz I'd guess.

I did a search here and read a few of the DVD reviews on other sites and didn't see any mention of this. Some of the reviews complain that this is your "typical romantic comedy soundtrack" - front heavy, no surrounds, no LFE . . . and generally this is true. But this one scene is probably deep enough that some miss it entirely. Anybody else (who's willing to admit having it :b or renting it) ever noticed this? Just curious.

JKS

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, Jeremy, you're indeed right. I'm not able to post a waterfall chart for this but here's what I measured.

A deep rumbly at ~22hz along with a second rumble at about 45hz, about 10dBs lower. It lasts as long as the duration of the kiss. I guess its suppose to warm the audience's heart during that kiss.

Most normal subs wouldn't even bring this bass detail loud enough to hear, so I suppose only the priviledged few will be lucky to discover this treat!

Oh, and more movies are using this deep bass to enhance the mood of the film. "Children of the corn" has one such scene where the heartbeat actually pulsates at 20hz.

Kal

Agent
Movie: 8 mile

The last battle scene (approx the last 20 or so minutes of the movie) has a couple of instances where the announcer's mic gets turned off/on or unplugged or something similar... This results in one of the lowest frequency shockwaves I've ever felt through my Paradigm Servo-15.

We've all heard the sound: You've got an amp turned up and you pull a mic out of the plug.

Anyone else notice this? I think it's probably a complete mistake that it was included, but it's frequency is so low it's not at all heard, just felt - most subs wouldn't even play it properly. I rewound the movie and bit I watched the excursion on the Server-15 driver on this - quite scary!

Kal

Joel~Solid

Agent
Any new ones Mingl? I just got a pair of new subs and I'm on the lookout for the super low stuff that ALL of my friends are missing in there HT set up.

Joel

Curt C

Agent
Great work Ming. Hopefully this won't lead to a bunch of blown woofers. Four or five years ago when the Telarc CD first came out I played the "Jurassic Lunch" cut on an 18" Velodyne servo sub and at first heard nothing, then in a few seconds I heard some cracking sounds coming from a bedroom followed by severe rattling in a china closet in the nearby kitchen. It was unreal and I repeated it several times for audio friends. One even insisted on hearing it on his Bag End 18". On the Bag End we saw a lot of cone activity but not much else. I also tried a JBL B-460 (18 in a ported enclosure), but it didn't even respond. The CD has a disclaimer regarding the deep bass and I would advise all to be very careful about the level you try to play it at, especially with small or ported subs. Ported subs do not offer the mechanical protection that a sealed box does so play with care. These tracks add some validity to owning multiple 18's.
Curt

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking forward to the next wave of blockbuster movies. Have got myself a preview copy of the LOTR:TTT DVD that will impress most deep bass freaks. Hint: Blackriders on wings Sorry, this scene is not available on current DVDs as any trailers.

I'll check out 8 mile soon(not today).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks