1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Frequency waterfall charts of a few familiar favourites

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by MingL, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

I think it is a few pages back.

2. Warren_Sc

Warren_Sc Second Unit

Do you still have that link somewhere...sometimes google will cache it. We can put in the URL into google and see what is says.

3. Vaughan Odendaal

Vaughan Odendaal Second Unit

Well, I watched ROTS in it's entirety and I'm still flabbergasted, to be honest. I don't understand what happened.

I was looking so forward to purchasing this disk and I am embarrassed to say that I will not be wasting my money on this. Picture-wise, the image is beautiful and incredibly detailed. Reference quality in every respect.

Since I've watched the entire ROTS, I've found that the loudest (but not necessarily the deepest bass, perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this) occured in the opening space battle. You hear the drums and there is a loud bass rumbling of superstar destroyer (?).

Nice.

There is a star destroyer fly-by that had a bit of bass in it, but nothing to shake my pants with. Episode 2 opening ship fly-by had proper bass.

All explosions in this film had virtually zero bass. I have an SVS PB-10 ISD and my subwoofer was begging for a workout and got none. The other part of the film where there is bass is in the final Anakin/Obi-wan fight on Mustafar.

The scenes with the lava erupting had a decent amount of bass in it but there wasn't anything special.

Is this disk even worth getting a waterfall chart? I mean, is there anything, any bass in this film that begs to be charted?

--Sincerely,

4. Scott Simonian

5. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

6. Scott Simonian

I know. I love how I have my levels set. While everyone is complaining about the lack of bass (huh?) I am having lots! This scene stood out. As soon as the flyby is over and we are sitting in the small ship I feel this low drone. This pressurization of the room. AND THE MAGNATUDE WAS LOW! I could feel the pressure and my BFD was only lit up to -40dB. I still have about 30dB of headroom! I bet everyone with their SVSs and other mid-level subs are left wandering what the big deal is.

People at these forums need to learn how to properly setup the levels for the sub. This movie sounds so perfect.

7. Vaughan Odendaal

So how have you setup your subwoofer, Scott? What subwoofer do you have again? [​IMG]

--Sincerely,

8. Scott Simonian

I have mine setup through a BFD. That way I can monitor the level coming out to the sub. The levels are set so they never hit the red "clip" light. Only when watching something with crazy dynamics and when at loud volumes will it hit that. During ROTS I only hit the yellow "-3dB" a couple of times. So this is a great dynamic track.

Oh yeah. My sub. It's an Adire Tempest. Very well respected. Capable of over 113dB, anechoic. To you it will seem low end. I cost me as much to build mine as you paid for yours. The difference is that mine is in a large cab (over 200 liters) tuned below 16hz and it uses a fifteen inch driver. I have a significant surface area advantage over your ten inch SVS. And SPL. Any ten inch driver with 300w going to it will barely hit 100dBs at all. I also have extension down less than 6dB at 13hz! Pretty flat. Performance like this is only obtainable when spending big bucks and lots of power (in a small cab).

EDIT: This is going to start to look like a "who's subwoofer is better" deal. Vaughan, I'm not. I'm just stating that I feel that my setup is close to ideal. ROTS is in no way a underacheiving soundtrack and it sounds very balanced and just overall good in my house.

I do agree with EVERYONE that the bass in this movie is a little inconsistent.

9. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Extra

10. Vaughan Odendaal

So if what you say is true Scott, ROTS must have some really, really deep information encoded in the .1 channel, right?

Because if you are experiencing all kinds of deep bass that I'm not, then it must be that my subwoofer is incapable of reaching the kind of depths that the film demands, correct?

I understand where you are coming from. Your subwoofer seems far more capable than mine. My PB-10 is tuned to approximately 17.5hz which means that my in-room response will be 3-4hz lower than that (according to Tom Vonhanel).

In terms of extension, I don't see how I am at any serious disadvantage, but I in terms of sheer output, I guess I would be.

The strange thing is that if I pop in AOTC, I can feel all kinds of bass. My room shakes. ROTS doesn't give my subwoofer a workout. And I would love to hear from people who say that ROTS bottomed out their subwoofer.

I can almost guarantee you that there will be very little if any people making those complaints. Anyhow, the only way that we are going to know if this film has deep bass in it is to have a waterfall chart posted.

--Sincerely,

11. Scott Simonian

12. Vaughan Odendaal

So out of interest Scott, could you name all the scenes in ROTS that have really deep bass in it? It would be much appreciated.

--Sincerely,

13. Scott Simonian

14. terence

terence Supporting Actor

I know this is old but still a goddie.

I would like to see the portal opening scene in the beginniing of Hellboy plotted please.

15. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Extra

Finished watching the R2 release of Howl's Moving Castle. This is only the LFE track which was converted into a 16-bit WAV file. I imagine the results are as if the audio processor performed no bass management.

[​IMG]

16. Scott Simonian

Very nice plot there, George! I like that you only used the LFE channel. When I get the time I can plot as well.

17. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Scott,

I would like to see the portal opening scene in the beginniing of Hellboy plotted please and thank you.

18. Scott Simonian

Terence - I do not own a copy of Hellboy nor have I seen it, yet. When I have the time to do some charts I'll give Hellboy a rent.

19. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Thx Scott!

20. Scott Simonian

Okay. Don't know how many of you frequent the AVScience forum. There is a waterfall thread that just started. Since not everyone wants to join, I thought I would link em over here for your enjoyment.

Heres a link to the thread.

(I still haven't had the time to do these myself. These were done by AVS member "kweezr")

Here are a few goldies.

Flight of the Phoenix ch 6
    [​IMG]

SVS animation
    [​IMG]

RotS ch 46
    [​IMG]

Hellboy DC ch7
    [​IMG]

T2 dts THX demo (from ultimate ed)
    [​IMG]

Atlantis, leviathan moves
    [​IMG]

Tears of the Sun ch22
    [​IMG]

Spiderman 2 ch 16
    [​IMG]

Terminator 3 ch 5
    [​IMG]

Open Range (headshot)
    [​IMG]

Matrix Revolutions (waterbubble explosion)
    [​IMG]

Lilo & Stitch ch28
    [​IMG]

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy ch 6 (Yikes!)
    [​IMG]

FotP (same scene, LFE ch only)
    [​IMG]

Whew! Im pooped. Just think how tired I'd had been if I did those charts. Thanks again to "kweezr" over at the AVS forum.

Enjoy! [​IMG] [​IMG]