1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Frequency waterfall charts of a few familiar favourites

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by MingL, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

[​IMG]

This is from Die Hard 1, Five Star Collection.

John Mclean tosses the office chair strapped with C4 down the elevator shaft. Nothing under 20hz, very little 20-30hz intensity, most of the C4 blast is 40-60hz stuff. I've always been disappointed with the sound design for this scene. Now you can see why it doesn't impress on today's subwoofers.

2. KeithY

KeithY Stunt Coordinator

Die Hard-shoot the glass scene has the lowest bass in the whole film.
    [​IMG]

Robocop-ED109 killing Mr. Kinney
    [​IMG]

Quigley Down Under-three shots into the bucket
    [​IMG]

Mark of Zorro 1940 version-most of the color on the graph is from the score not the action in the scene
    [​IMG]

3. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

If Ming posts his settings.ini file for Speclab will that let us all use the exact same settings?

4. dave/r

dave/r Auditioning

Yeah that would be useful for everyone to have the same point of reference, comparing these graphs would then be more meaningful.

Wonder what causes those spikes down at 0-5hz in die-hard 'shoot the glass' and zorro?

zorro is utterly bass-less! is that a particularly quiet passage, or is that the general nature of the recording, even during explosions/ action?

5. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

Guessing that it has to do with a function of the Spectral analyzer. Like pressing "play" or "stop" causes this?

Ned, nice work on the gallery of THX trailers. That's the first time I've seen several of these, including the one that's used on the Indiana Jones set ("Broadway 2000").

JKS

6. Kaj

Kaj Stunt Coordinator

Having the same settings in SpecLab may help a bit. But it will not create consistency in chart output for everyone.

If you read a few page back there was a fairly large discussion on why this is so. (especially posts from Ilkka R)

Everyone presumably has different sound cards, different ways of getting the audio into SpecLab, different drivers, different software, different volume settings.
    And on top of that, each movie itself will have different 'reference' levels. Or at least, each movie will need to be played back into SpecLab at a certain volume, each movie being different, to make it comparable in some way to another movie.
    So just having the same settings in Speclab as someone else will not help much.

First we need to determine a way to easily, consistently be able to adjust volumes for each movie accordingly (and everyone else must be able to do it as well) so that they will all be roughly equal across the board.

I think it was suggested somewhere in this thread, it would be great if the audio technicians for each movie, added somewhere on the DVD, a special (possibly even hidden) track/chapter where they would include a test tone, at say 100Hz, that would be the same average level that they recorded/mastered the dialog at.

That way all we’d need to do really, before we do analyse anything, is to play that ‘test tone’ through SpecLab, and adjust all our setting accordingly per movie, so that every movie measures in with that test tone at maybe -10dB.

But as I said, Ming, Ilkka R, or even me for that matter, posting our settings will not help that much.

Anyways, hope that made sense.

Oh yeah, and nice work on the recently posted charts [​IMG]

Cheers
    KJ

7. dave/r

dave/r Auditioning

oh well. homogenised or otherwise, keep the charts flowing as they're all great!

8. KeithY

KeithY Stunt Coordinator

Here's the settings that Ilkka R recommended for me to use

-48kHz or 44.1kHz sample rate
    -waterwall scroll interval 120ms
    -range -70-0dB
    -fft input size 16384
    -decimate input by 8
    -freq. range 0Hz-120Hz

9. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

Can someone do some waterfall charts for the Movie Boogey Man, I heard some low stuff in there. I believe it was around 31 minutes in that the SVS pb10 isd rattled everything in the basement. Not sure where else but seems like lots of low stuff in there, I wish I could rewatch it and make notes of the scenes with lots of bass but my neighbor has to return the disc tomorrow morning so she took it.

10. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Here's the first scene of Boogeyman.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. BillyHC

BillyHC Agent

can some masochist plot the movie Birth and look for infrasonics? (the movie is bad, but there were some very convincing bass in there that made both my wife and I feel very nervous and apprehensive)

12. Kevin_F

Kevin_F Stunt Coordinator

bump

13. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Sorry, don't have Birth. Looks terrible on IMDB [​IMG]

14. BillyHC

BillyHC Agent

Horrible movie... but maybe someone will sacrifice their netflix/blockbuster queue? [​IMG]

15. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Hey...

So yeah, it's been a while. Many new movies have come out with killer bass tracks.

Anyone doing waterfalls still? I would still like to see some waterfalls from Saving Private Ryan and Sky Captain.

16. terence

terence Supporting Actor

If so...........can Batman Begin's get some love??![​IMG]

I would love to see this one get plotted, BUT not as much as Star Wars EP:III!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

17. Scott Simonian

There are some waterfall from Batman Begins on the AVS forum. Look in the Subwoofer section. I think the thread is called "Scarecrow waterfall 2hz pink!" or something like that. Check it out. You can't miss it.

18. Scott Simonian

Eh, here's that linky.

*These were charted by AVS member UNICRON WMD*

Here's that 2hz action!
    [​IMG]

Tumbler
    [​IMG]

Temple Doors Open
    [​IMG]

Temple Explosion
    [​IMG]

19. Vaughan Odendaal

Vaughan Odendaal Second Unit

I have an SVS PB-10 ISD, and I don't notice anything spectacular when the Scarecrow is talking.

His voice has a bit of depth to it that I can hear, but I don't feel anything in that scene at all.

Otherwise, what is the lowest bass in the film besides the much vaunted "Scarecrow's voice" scene? Anyway, I've found my new demonstration disk. In one of the Chapters, Batman is in the batmobile and he is pretty much messing up the city.[​IMG]

It still gives me goosebumps whenever I play it. I now use it in my store for demonstration purposes. It's absolutely awesome!

--Sincerely,

20. Scott Simonian