Frequency & Volume Settings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GaryO, Jan 28, 2002.

1. GaryO

GaryO Auditioning

I am new at this. Not sure where to switch the phase switch on my sub to (0 or 180. Also the frequency 80 to 160. Where should the frequency be set at and volume. Whats the difference between volume and frequency. Thanks for your help. PS: I have a pro logic system.

2. MichaelGomez

MichaelGomez Stunt Coordinator

The best thing do do is get a test DVD. I use AVIA but I hear Video Essentials is good too. Any way there is a test track for checking the phase on your sub. Basically the fronts play along with an LFE track. Then you change the phase. If the bass is more distinguishable then it is out of phase. Anotherwords the bass should blend in not detract from the front sound.

As for the Frequency knob. That is usually a low pass crossover. The lower you set it the less higher frequency sounds that it reproduces (your sub that is). This is generally good if you have good tower speakers. That way less power is spent on reproducing sounds in your sub that are also reproduced in your towers. The big problem is if you are using front speakers that don't have drivers capable of reproducing lower frequencies. If you have these and set your sub cuttoff too low, then there will be a gap in the sound info. So you might hear the explosion as everyone is screeming but you might not hear the semi-truck comming around the corner.

To wrap up, get a test DVD if you don't have one and find out the crossover frequencies of your fronts. Then set the sub. I am using 80 in my home but I use 50 in my car.

Hope this helps.

Mike

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Gary has emailed me privately, but I thought it might be better to post the info here, to allow others to reply and to offer the info to anyone else having similar problems.
    [QUOTE=

5. GaryO

GaryO Auditioning

My receiver has the following specs.

Stereo: 80W per channel (40 Hz - 20 Khz)

Home Theater: 80 W (1Khz, 8 ohms, 0.9% THD) per Left/Center/Right/Surrounds.

With that info, should my frequency still be set at 160 on Sub. Remember I have audio out on receiver with RCA Plugs going into L/R sub ports. My receiver is a Technics SA-AX530.

Phase is on 0?

6. MichaelGomez

It doesn't have anything to do with your receiver. It has to do with your speakers. What kind of speakers do you have? If they are towers with atleast an 8" driver, then you should set your speakers to small and then set your sub to 80. This way the sub plays frequencies of 80 and below. Low bass notes. Your tower speakers will then play all the info 80 hz and up. This is mid-bass and higher.

Hope this helps.

Mike

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Careful-- this might only serve to confuse. If this is an older Pro Logic unit- it probably does NOT have speaker settings for SIZE of speakers in the receiver setup menu. This might only serve to confuse the issues more for Gary.
    -Vince

8. GaryO

GaryO Auditioning

I have Setting B:

Pro Logic Receiver. No speaker settings. But have Normal, Wideband, Phantom) No subwoofer control on receiver. RCA cable from Subwoofer out of receiver. Main speakers to receiver. So do I still put frequency on sub at 160? Phase 0? Volume 1/2 way up or more. Sorry for all the confusion guys. Just learning this techno stuff (laugh)! But love it.

9. MichaelGomez

How old is your receiver. I think that receivers have had speaker adjustments for atleast 10 years. Check your remote and play with the menu screen a little. If they really aren't there, spend $100 and buy a new receiver.

Mike

10. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

11. MichaelGomez

I guess that is about right. I was thinking back to 1992 when a friend bought the top line Yamaha. 1st receiver I saw with all the frills.

Mike

12. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

13. MichaelGomez

I wish that I could. After college I went into the Navy and haven't seen my friend Chad since. It was one of there top line model. He worked at Great Sounds car and home audio in Muncie, IN. Therefor he got to buy stuff at cost. I don't know about know but he said that Yahama had a 150% markup in those days. [​IMG]