frequency tuning

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Weyen, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Matt Weyen

Matt Weyen Stunt Coordinator

When I make my sub, I want to do it right the first time. I plan on listening to 50/50 music/ht. I like a tight sounding sub but realize that I don't want to go with a closed sub because it doesn't sound as good for movies (tested my current JBL PB10 with a shirt for a port plug).

I've been playing with winISD pro and have descovered that making a shorter port would effectively make the tuned frequency more like that of a closed sub but still a decent amount different. This actually sounds like a good idea to me. Can somebody explain if this theory of mine really will work to make a tighter sounding sub without going the closed route?

thanx-

MW

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

A short port will raise the tuning frequency, and ported alignments roll off sharply below the tuning frequency, defeating the purpose of using a port (deep extension). If you can live with a large enclosure and can afford a high powered amp, then a large sealed enclosure with a large low f3 driver and deep bass boost in the electronic chain will give the best of all worlds.