Frequency response

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sacha_C, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

I jsut saw the frequency response of the SA-VE335 speakers is only 26 - 20 000Hz. My minisystem is 20 - 27 000Hz, does this mean the sound won't be as clear with these speakers and the DE995 receiver?

Thanks

2. DarrylM

DarrylM Stunt Coordinator

A typical listener with near-perfect hearing can discriminate sounds as low as about 20 Hz (very deep bass) and as high as about 20,000 Hz (20 kHz, or very high treble). While CD players and receivers may be able to deliver signals across this entire frequency range, your speaker system may not ncessarily be able to reproduce them all -- particularly in the lower bass end of the range.
    I, personally, doubt that a failure in producing bass below 26 Hz will have a significant impact upon most music, and it almost certainly won't affect the clarity of the sound. However, it could potentially affect how "full" the sound is in tracks with really deep bass. (The kind of "thump" you can feel.) You would probably notice more of a difference in performance while watching movies with sound effects though, which produce low frequency effects (LFE) with deep bass. Though, in reality, few subwoofers deliver tight bass down to 20 Hz -- and, frankly, I'd be very surprised if the subwoofer in your VE335 system even gets down to 26 Hz with decent output.
    In any event, this isn't an indication of an incompatibility between your speaker system and the receiver... It just means that your speakers cannot necessarily realize the full range of digital sound that your CD/receiver can produce, which is quite common. Think of it this way: You might be able to hear bass down to 20 Hz, but you would have a hard time producing it with your vocal cords. Your ears certainly aren't incompatible with your mouth, however. [​IMG]
    Some other HTF members might provide you with their own opinions.

3. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

but does this mean I will have a lower sound quality than on my minisystem??

Thanks

4. DarrylM

DarrylM Stunt Coordinator

Sorry, I thought you were describing the frequency response of your speakers versus the receiver you actually had them connected to...

That said, I am not aware of any "minisystem" that even comes close to true 20 Hz bass output. Chances are, your new system will sound every bit as good as your minisystem, if not better. Of course, this depends upon a lot of factors, including "make and models," speaker sizes, power outputs, et cetera. For example, if you were using the Ferrari of minisystems and have now switched over to the Geo Metro of full-size systems, you may not realize much improvement.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

no, in fact your sound quality will likely be somewhat better than the mini-system however you realize that the SA-VE335 is one of those complete HT speaker systems going for somewhere in the $300 range. Perhaps at some point, you might move to more expensive speakers and will no doubt find a substantial difference in sound quality between those and what you presently own. One thought though, your dog will probably miss the high frequencies.