Frequency response difference

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by DerekCV, Feb 25, 2005.

1. DerekCV

DerekCV Stunt Coordinator

I was flipping through my crutchfield magazines the other day and I was comparing the Polk to Infinity speakers. The Polk seem to have a wider range over the infinity. Comparing the towers: 30-40Hz-26,000Hz for Polk and the Infinity's are 38or49Hz-20,000Hz. Does this really make noticeable difference, particularly in the upper end?

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Crutchfield uses manufacturer's specs. These differ highly in the way the specs are measured, the way they are reported and the out and out exaggerations of the manufacturer. Notice most will never list a -3dB rating for a sub. They'll list the frequency range of a sub to be, say 20-120Hz, but not tell you the sub is -15dB at 20Hz. Basically, without independent test results to compare, manufacturer specs are useless, IMHO.

3. DerekCV

OK, but lets just say, in theory, that these numbers are dead nuts, is there a noticeably significant difference in the 2 ranges?

4. Eric Ha

Eric Ha Stunt Coordinator

Not on top. 10hz difference down low is significant though IF these numbers were arrived at in the same fashion.

5. DerekCV

Would this difference be noticable in a complete system that had a subwoofer?

6. Dean Mar

Dean Mar Stunt Coordinator

The difference down low would not be noticeable if you have a good sub.

7. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Between those two companies, or any reputable one's, specs are not what I would be most concerned with. Sound quality, sale price, build quality, materials and workmanship, etc would rate higher too me. I also don't think I know enough about specs to make them a usefull tool (what does 22,000 hz sound like anyway?). As a friend put it, the difference between 20khz and 26khz is like the difference between a million dollars and a million and 95 dollars. There is a difference, if the specs are accurate, but it's not near enough to worry about. They make nice reading though.

8. Greg_Hammond

Greg_Hammond Agent

The maximum frequency you can reproduce on a traditional 16-bit 44.1 KHz audio CD is 22 KHz, which is why some manufacturers claim that number as their high-end frequency limit. Of course with DVD-A and SACD, the ante is upped to 24-bit/96 KHz, which gives you double the frequency space to work with.

There are a few people that can hear frequencies higher than 22 KHz at low volume (in the volume range of a auditory test headset). Many people can hear 22 KHz audio at the loud volumes our amplifiers and speakers can produce.

Greg

But, FWIW, manufacturer's specs are phooey unless you're comparing one speaker against another speaker within the same lineup, from the same company. =)

9. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

But it may allow you to set your crossover to a lower frequency which is preferred by some.