Frequency Range of Audio

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by JeremyErwin, May 16, 2006.

1. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Feb 11, 2001
    Frequently, I see "Digital Audio" being advertised as 20 Hz --- 20 kHz, roughly matching the frequencies audible to a young pair of ears. The sampling frequency imposes a upper limit of 22 kHz. Add in some gradual filters, and there's your 20 kHz. But where does the lower limit 20 Hz come from? I know that most speakers, save some moderately expensive subwoofers aren't capable of reaching this deep, but svs does have a 16 Hz tune available. And apparently some find it useful.

So, what's the story here? If one had a subwoofer capable of playing a 1 Hz tone, could one record that to CD and play it on this thing? And could one feel it, given sufficient decibels?
  2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

May 22, 1999
    Try finding a program called NCHTONE on the internet. It will let you pick a frequency, type of wave (sine, square, sawtooth) and duration. Then it will save the tone to a .WAV file that can be burned into a CD to create your own test-tone CD. I have done this when I tried mapping my room response.

But - the lower the frequency, the closer the wireing appears as a direct-short. This is like shoving a fork into an AC outlet - lots of sparks, smoke and injury. (This is also why minutes of low-frequency sounds like in the Lobby Shootout scene in "The Matrix" throws some receivers into PROTECT mode.)

I believe most subwoofers have a filter protecting the sub from too-low of a frequency.

Could you perceive a 1 hz tone - yes I believe you could.
  3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

Jun 24, 1999
    20Hz is a rough guideline, IMO. I can still hear a 20Hz tone, but at around 22Hz, it really just becomes more vibration than anything and at 16Hz it is really just air movement that you percieve - you don't hear it so much as feel it. It definitely adds to the realism of certain scenes.

I wouldn't say most subs have a subsonic filter, because many inexpensive ones do not, but most decent subs and sub/plate amps do. However, I would say there are very few if any conventional subs that are actually capable of decent output below 10Hz. My sub is tuned to 17Hz and I use a 14Hz subsonic filter. There is something called a rotary woofer by Eminent Technology that has the ability to play down to 1Hz.

Along the lines of what Bob said, you wouldn't need to record anything - you can download an MP3 of almost any frequency you want.