1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Frequency Question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Elmer_Guzman, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Elmer_Guzman

Elmer_Guzman Auditioning

Dear All,

this is a question coming from a guy with limited knowledge in Audio/video/HT field but with lots of interest nonetheless in this arena.

My question is:

If I set my subwoofer crossover to 80Hz and my surround speakers has a frequency range of say, 200Hz to 20KHz, what happens to the frequency in between 81Hz and 199Hz?

I hope you don't find my question somewhat stupid. Thanks

Elmer

2. John S

John S Producer

You don't get it anywhere near as you should be getting it. Not really a big deal as long as your fronts can do it I suppose, but I would not use them myself.

I would get different surround speakers that more truly match your fronts. When I install I use the same speaker in every location as personal preference. makes calibration and accuracy much much easier.

This sort of thing was psuedo OK in the old days of Pro-Logic, but in 5.1/6.1 those surround channels are totally full range.

3. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

Yep, you basically lose it. This is one of the major problems with most sub & satellite systems. This is often "fixed" by raising the crossover to 200 or whatever. The problem with that is those frequencies are directional so you could get male vocals (or other sounds in that range) that moved from your satellites to your sub as they went through their range. Not good. Thats probably more than you wanted but I think I covered your question in the first line.

4. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

While they aren't entirely lost, they will be much quieter than they should.

This frequency range is a heavily used one in both music and movies, so the absence will likely be very noticable.

If by 'surround speakers' you only mean the two/three/four in surround/rear locations (i.e. not the front or center speakers), this won't be as noticable.

5. Elmer_Guzman

Elmer_Guzman Auditioning

Thanks to all for the reply! Really appreciate it..Regards.