Freq Response of Adire RAVA

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ganesh, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Ganesh

Ganesh Agent

How low does the AdireRAVA sub go? On their site this info isn't there as straight forward as like how the HSU site says "25 Hz to 100 Hz +/- 2dB freq response". There is a freq response graph on the Adire site but I don't know how to interpret it. Even at 20Hz the dB level is as high 78, does it mean that it can be considered to go as low as 20Hz? Or should only a range of 4-6 dB from the max (87dB) be considered to see how low it can go?

2. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

It's a sealed sub with a Q of 0.67 and a -3db point between 35 and 40 Hz. Room gain will help it give useful performance to 30Hz or so I am guessing. It has a pretty shallow rolloff and should still sound reasonably strong at 20Hz.

Their Dharman model which is slightly larger is a vented box, has more output and extends to 22Hz anechoic I think. But it might not sound as good for music. (Those use the same, really good woofer.)

3. Ganesh

Ganesh Agent

So is the Adire a more musical sub than the HSU or the SVS subs? BTW the term "musical" sub I suppose implies that the sub "intrudes" more into music than a non-musical sub. But isn't this just controlled by the crossover settings?

4. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

I'm generalizing big time, so please don't make me don a flame suit, but the Rava is sealed so bass is "faster," tauter, with less overhang and less boominess. There are fast ported subs too but most of them tend to be pretty expensive (4-5x the cost of the Rava, if not even more). Basically you're paying for that quickness by foregoing more SPL output and, depending on the design, driver(s), amp, etc. some deep bass extension.

A few days ago I put on the cut "I Love You" from Sarah McLachlan's "Surfacing" album, which has a ton of VERY deep bass (a two-note foundation that sounds like it's being played on a keyboard or electric organ). Let me tell you, the windows rattled, the pictures almost shook themselves off the wall, and even the cabinet of my Panasonic 47WX49 RPTV vibrated audibly!

The DTS intro from "Chicken Run," which plays after you select "DTS" from the Audio menu right before the movie opens, also has a lot of deep bass and the Rava simply rocked. As did the opening from Strauss's "Thus Spake Zarathrustra," otherwise known as the "2001: A Space Odyssey" theme. Its 16 Hz organ note definitely rumbled the floor & walls.

I'm guessing I'm getting robust in-room output @ 25 Hz and usable output right down to 20. YMMV, but specs can be misleading!

BTW, this is in a 23x17x8 room, too ...

5. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Actually in theory the Rava would be better sounding (less intrusive, more realistic) for music without low bass, since its transient response is better. This depends on the crossover configuration and room placement too. But it's very debatable how much difference group delay makes. It is possible that large vented subs are deemed "slow" just because they produce more low bass (and are hence more "accurate" than sealed boxes).

6. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Another factor not mentioned on these comparisons is that at what listening levels one is listening at. The efficiency of the ported sub and usually the greater output may allow a well designed ported sub to sound much better than it's sealer counterpart. The HSU is a well designed sub so this sub might still sound much better than most sealed subs (maybe not against a RAVA) and depending on room size and spl of the presentation might be the better offering for some.

7. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

Just saw a post on another thread where Adire Audio's threshhold for group delay is 25 ms @ 20 Hz.