French & Saunders

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yumbo, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

any reviews, opinions on the following?

At the Movies

Gentlemen Prefer French & Saunders

thanks

2. Juan C Toro

Juan C Toro Stunt Coordinator

Chris:
    These are my takes on these two DVDs. Check for full details at:
    www.toldyouso.net
    Both DVDs are highly recommended.
    French & Saunders at the Movies:
    The main feature is just over one and a half hours. Here, Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders take in their hands some big movie titles: “Misery”, “The Silence of the Lambs”, “Thelma and Louise” and “Alien”, as well as some beloved British series like “The House of Elliot”, and music performers, including “Guns and Roses” and “Shakespeare Sisters”. Their humor shines brightly here, with great production values, filmed both on stage and on locations.
    The bonus material on this DVD is more of the same good stuff already contained in the main course: one complete French & Saunders Special. Within it is my favorite sketch. This one on its own was worth the price of admission: A spoof on “Star Wars – The Phantom Menace”. I laughed so hard I thought I was going to pee. Love or hate “Star Wars”, you will enjoy this piece.
    Gentlemen Prefer French & Saunders:
    For Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders, nothing is sacred. They will find humor where you least expect it, or where you thought there was no well to spring from. In this collection, we see them taking after Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell in “Gentlemen Prefer Blondes” before moving on to such cinematic classics as, “Gone with the wind,” “Dangerous Liaisons” and “The Exorcist”. Music parodies include Alanis Morrisette among others. For those fans of the show “Absolutely Fabulous”, this DVD also contains the original sketch that inspired the succeeding series.
    As for the bonus special, it rivals the featured program. With plenty of laughs, it’s a more recent production, and is presented in anamorphic widescreen format as well. If you are looking for a good and intelligent laugh, definitely pick this one up. It has a great replay value, I highly recommend it.
    JC

3. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer

I concur!
    Just watched these last night, and
    I was laughing constantly!
    Not all of French and Saunders
    are on these two DVDs, so I suspect will be
    made based on how well these sell.
    You can get the current versions
    for about $10.00 each at
    www.deepdiscountdvd.com
    Mark

4. Juan C Toro

Juan C Toro Stunt Coordinator

I certainly hope there are more of these French & Saunders DVDs on the way. Great material and great price... You cannot ask for more.
    Keep them coming WB
    [​IMG]

5. Joel Noble

Joel Noble Extra

Anyone know why these discs are currently so cheap? $10-$11, from what I'm seeing.

Is there a box set coming up or something?