What's new

FRENCH POSTCARDS-Paramount (1 Viewer)

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Anyone remember this light, charming coming-of-age comedy from 1979?

I would love to see Paramount release a 16x9 OAR DVD with the original French pop soundtrack intact. The VHS release features a soundtrack "rescored" from what was heard in theatres and on cable--video rights were not secured for many of the French pop songs used throughout the film.

Trailers and retrospective interviews would be gravy, especially to hear cast and filmmaker remembrances of the lovely, late Valerie Quennessen (of SUMMER LOVERS fame) who played Toni in FRENCH POSTCARDS.

Jon

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I'm sure anyone will tell you it's a longshot and a lost cause, but then again I'm a sucker for longshots and lost causes.

Your best bet as far as OMS (Original Music Score -- how's that for a new acronym) would possibly be to track down one of the ultra-rare Fotomat VHS tapes of this movie. Paramount began licensing titles to Fotomat before starting their own label, and often gave them titles before they themselves would release it. In a couple cases -- AMERICAN HOT WAX comes prominently to mind -- Paramount never released some of those licensed titles, no doubt due to 11th hour music contract holdups. So I would bet good money the Fotomat tape of FRENCH POSTCARDS has the original music while the subsequent Paramount tapes do not.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Thanks for the reply Mark. I knew of the AMERICAN HOT WAX Fotomat release. The famous/infamous and very expensive Video Oyster listed it in his catalogs years ago and rated it in the "most rare" category.

I didn't know or think to look into a FRENCH POSTCARDS Fotomat release. I think the best thing to do for now is look for a cable showing. I know that FRENCH POSTCARDS aired sometime last year. It think it was on FLIX, but alas I did not record it.

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks