What's new

French movies on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
After seeing Amelie, I remembered some other French movies that I saw, some while in college in French class (I went for the easy A, since I already spoke French :D ) and some other movies I have since seen.
Anyway, these films were great and they were all remade. But I think the originals are better. So I am looking for them on DVD but so far no luck. I was hoping you guys could help.
Cousin, cousine (remake - Cousins with Ted Danson)
Un moment d'égarement aka One Wild Moment (remake - Blame it on Rio with Michael Caine)
Mon père ce héros (remake - My Father the Hero with original actor Gerard Depardieu)
These next two I haven't seen, but my brother saw them while in Switzerland and says they are hilarious.
Les Visiteurs aka The Visitors(remake - Just Visiting with original actor Jean Reno)
Taxi don't know anything about this movie other than it was written by Luc Besson.
If anyone can help, I know the HTF movie aficionados can.

ArnaudP

Stunt Coordinator
I have Taxi on DVD but I got it from a canadian etailer. dvd-plus.com
I really like that movie.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
At one point, Cousin Cousine was on Criterion’s list of upcoming releases. But they quietly removed it from their list. Don’t know what happened. They may be working in the background.

There is a reasonable amount of films like Shoot the Piano Player, if you care for that kind of thing.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
One French film I would like to have on DVD is L'eté Meurtruer (One Deadly Summer) with the gorgeous Isabelle Adjani. I don't know who has the rights to the film but it was issued on VHS by MCA so it may be with Universal.

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
I'd buy Danton and La Balance in a second. Ok, split second and add five dollars.
As for the Visitors, I'm not sure if I didn't come across a review of it and/or the remake at Ebert's part of the Chicago Suntimes website. I always check Amazon.com for reviews, too.
Dan
New part:
And if you like Besson, there are some great ones: Subway and La Femme Nikita. Enjoyed them all. And you'll love Diva if you like those.
And if French in general turns you on, try Buffet Froid, Dinner Game, La Cage aux Folles I/II, Wages of Fear. Got em, liked em. Diva is my first choice, and I don't even have the new and apparently much better edition (wanna buy the old one, cheap? :) )

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
La Cage aux Folles is a classic and one of my favorites. I love that film. Same with La Femme Nikita. Funny how many of these French films have been remade, but IMO the original French version is always better.

I checked out Amazon and did find Les Visiteurs. But still no luck with the others, although I did find the American remakes. They probably haven't been released on DVD, at least not region 1.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Taxi said:
La Balance has a really excellent R2 France SE, unfortunately also no English subs except on two of Bob Swaim's early shorts. If you do speak French though, there is a superb interview with Swaim, the anamorphic movie transfer is excellent... Great stuff.
Ted

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
By the way, between R1 & R2 there are tons of French films on DVD including a large number of DVDs from the New Wave directors: Truffaut, Rohmer, Rivette, Chabrol & Godard, as well as older classics from Jean Renoir, Rene Claire, Jean Vigo, etc. etc.

French films are probably the best represented on DVD besides American films.

I may have around 150 French language DVDs in my collection.

Ted

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Ted, thanks for the info on La Balance. Although I'd buy it in a split second, not having an R2 player is a deterrent.

zut alors.

Dan

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Thanks Ted. I'll have to check out those sites you mentioned.
I also want to echo Dan's sentiments about not having a region free player. :frowning:

Michael Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
If you liked Amelie, you may like The City of Lost Children, also directed by Jean-Paul Jeunet. They aren't the same in tone, but visually, TCLC is very impressive.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Michael,

Funny you should mention that. I almost bought The City of Lost Children yesterday. I saw it at Barnes and Noble, and it looked interesting but I didn't want to make a blind purchase. I was going to get feedback from forum members first.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I anticipate Brotherhood of the Wolf. Sorry, don't know French translation.
French Translation? That movie was made in french! Le Pacte Des Loups I think... Haven't seen it but might rent it if it's OAR...
Speaking of french movies, does anyone remember a 80's french movie involving a man who has 2 guns, one is a real gun and the other is a gun-shaped cigarette lighter and he keeps mixing them up! Is it out on DVD? OAR?

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Is Brotherhood of the Wolf already out? That seems like something I would be interested in.
Speaking of french movies, does anyone remember a 80's french movie involving a man who has 2 guns, one is a real gun and the other is a gun-shaped cigarette lighter and he keeps mixing them up!
Seems hilarious. :D
Excuse me, can I have a light? Sure. BAMM!! :D :D

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
Un Pure Formalite is a film starring the great Gerard Depardieu and Roman Polanski that my wife and I rented a few years ago no expecting anything and quite enjoyed. Last time I asked about it on the forum I was told it wasn't a success in France and wasn't out on DVD; given how recent it is I'd hope it would be by now -- anyone know?

Regards,

Sean

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I am currently in Canada and I thought I would revive this thread to get some more suggestions of films I should pick up while I'm here (I'm leaving in 2 days).
I have already picked up Taxi and plan on picking up La Mystérieuse Mademoiselle C , Le Placard and Le Diner de Cons.
Are there any others that you guys can think of?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not too well up on French films in R1, but one which readily springs to mind is Jean Pierre Melville's 1972 heist movie Un Flic which is on Anchor Bay. Among the stars are, surprisingly enough, Michael Conrad (Hill Street Blues) and Richard Crenna (Rambo), plus Catherine Deneuvre and Alain Delon.

Fabulous.

---
So many films, so little time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks