French Ghosts Of Mars Disc

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett C, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Brett C

Brett C Second Unit

Does anyone know if the French subs are removable when playing the english tracks???

2. EmilieB

EmilieB Extra

Hey Brett,

I just bought the DVD and played it right away to answer your question. Unfortunately I wasn't able to remove the French subtitles. I tried both ways, from the menu bar (but the only options you have is either French or English with French subtitles) and then I tried to remove them from the remote, still unsuccesfully. Sorry...

3. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

What is it with French DVDs and irremovable subtitles? Are they that insecure about their language?

4. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...it has nowt to do with the French being "insecure about their language"...
    ...it has everything to do with distribution rights for movies, which as often as not rest with different companies for different (European) countries...
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

5. Chad B.

Chad B. Second Unit

Several German DVDs have forced subs as well.

6. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...as do (many?) DVDs destined specifically for Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark... and probably not a few DVDs meant for the Polish, or Hungarian, or Czech market...
    ...that's just the way it is...
    NOTE: ...if a French (or German, or Italian, or Spanish, etc.) DVD includes SUBTITLES IN MORE THAN JUST THE LOCAL LANGUAGE (i.e. French+..., OR German+..., OR Italian+..., OR Spanish+..., etc.), these subs will - logically - be optional...
    ...the only exceptions to the above 'general rule' that I have ever heard of, are certain DVDs that are intended SPECIFICALLY for the "SCANDINAVIAN" market - while these do include OPTIONAL Norwegian, OR Swedish, OR Danish, OR Finnish subs, they always have one or the other subtitle ON, there is NO way to turn the subs OFF... a clever way to discourage, say, a German, Dutchman, or American from ordering such a disc...
    ...and so it goes...
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

7. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

8. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

1) afaik there are not that "many" French language films released in the UK on UK labels...
    ...but, anyway...
    2) "...Many French language films on DVD in the UK... (you should have added: "and released on UK labels"!!!) ...don't have forced player generated English subtitles..."
    ...erm... that is because no French DVD enthousiast who is also a lover of French movies would have any reason to order a French movie from the UK... so there would be no 'risk' of a French label that released the same movie on a French DVD losing potential sales in France to the UK release...
    3) "player generated English subtitles" - ah!!! my pet peeve!!!
    ...a DVD player doesn't "generate" anything... nobody would ever dream of saying "player generated DTS soundtrack" - and with good reason!!! ...think about it!!!
    4) ...ahh... oh, fuggetit!
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

9. Roland Wandinger

Roland Wandinger Stunt Coordinator

10. Brett C

Brett C Second Unit

Hey EmilieB thanks for the info...[​IMG]