What's new

French films subtitled in french?? (1 Viewer)

I'm looking for a list of french films, available on DVD, which are subtitled in french for the deaf/hard of hearing. Region 2 discs are fine, though I would be interested in region 1 also. I am not interested in the latest american blockbusters which are subtitled in french, but rather films, the predominant language of which is french. Does anyone have any links or other information regarding such DVDs?

Thanks in advance.

Wes

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos
I was looking for something like this as well, but there are very few titles as far as I'm aware. There's no common practice to release french films in France with subtitles in french.

From the top of my head, the MGM R2 releases of LA CAGE OF FOLLES and ADELE H., the french release of Andre Techine's LOIN and I think most french releases of films by Francois Ozon. But you should double check any of these.

A good source to check is http://www.dvdfr.com

Irina

Second Unit
Real Name
Irina
I agree that dvdfr.com is the best source of subtitle information for French DVDs but searching for any movies with French subtitles might become quite a task. I found one title that has both French audio and French subtitles (I have it in my collection and I verified that the French subtitles are really there and not just listed on the jacket). It's Le Pacha with Jean Gabin by Russian Film Prestige (PAL).

http://alldvd.ca/productDisplay.do?itemId=4480

The menues are in Russian. To select what you want, do the following:
1. Select óñòàíîâêè (settings)
2. Under çâóê (sound), select ôðàíöóçñêèé (French)
3. Under ñóáòèòðû (subtitles), select ôðàíöóçñêèå (French)
4. select ìåíþ (menu)

This is a great movie.
I hope this helps.

Irina

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Hint, if you can't see the Cyrillic characters in Irina's message, choose (in Internet Explorer) View -> Encoding -> More -> Cyrillic (Windows). The Auto-Select option did not display the message correctly in my case.

Miguel, Irina, and Marko,

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions. When I was in Paris last summer I found that a number of the most recent french films were in fact subtitled in french for the deaf or hard of hearing. Films older than the last few years are very hit and miss. I'll keep looking.

Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks