1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

French DTS Sleepy Hollow and Tosh 3900

Discussion in 'DVD' started by PrestonB, Sep 15, 2003.

1. PrestonB

PrestonB Auditioning

Do any of you own the DTS Sleepy Hollow and the Toshiba 3900? I believe this DVD is released by Pathe overseas and have been reading that the 3900 has problems with Pathe releases...

2. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

I have this release but not the 3900... I do however have 2 other Toshiba players (an SD1300 and another that the model no. escapes me at the moment) and have no playback issues whatsoever... Fantastic disc too!

3. Jim Blackie

Jim Blackie Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure it's clear that Preston means the non-region 1 disc (although it should be obvious from the forum) - I has the 3900 and was plagued with many problems of non-playability. Don't assume that because one model plays it, another will do the same. It ain't so.

I know. I returned my Tosh for the flawless philips 727.

4. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

Is there anything extra on the disc aside from the DTS track? Sounds good to me!

5. Armand G

Armand G Stunt Coordinator

Let's see. Making of 30 min., Document "avant" Tim Burton, Interviews Tim Burton/Johnny Depp, 8- page booklet, Commentaries by Tim Burton.

Just buy it. Awesome DTS sound!

6. CharlieC

CharlieC Stunt Coordinator

I have Sleepy Hollow (dts) (R2 French edition) and Toshiba 3900. The player does not play the above title. Out of curiosity, I also tried Enemy at the Gates (dts)(R2 Uk editon) which was released by Pathe, and again, the player does not play.

Guess I have to switch back to my older DVD player, or get Philip 727 to play DVDs from Pathe

7. Martin S

Martin S Stunt Coordinator

Can i ask what the picture's like on the French SLEEP HOLLOW?
    I absolutely love this film and first got the R1 version of it. I then got the R2 version, due to the better PAL picture, but found the colour to be slightly more washed out than the R1 version. I know it's meant to have that overall muted look to it but i wondered if the French release was closer to the colour level in the R1 version?
    I do want to get it for the DTS anyway though.

8. PrestonB

PrestonB Auditioning

I picked up the 727 from Target this evening for $89.99. The Tosh 3900 will be going back to Best Buy tomorrow. The 727 picture is on par if not a little bit better than the Toshiba. Ease of use is better than the Tosh as well (the remote hack worked on the first try, while the Tosh needed to be coaxed on a few DVDs). Tried the 727 with Region 2 and 3 DVDs> It worked flawlessly. I will post an update once Sleepy Hollow arrives...

9. PrestonB

PrestonB Auditioning

Received the Sleepy Hollow disc on Friday. Awesome DTS sound. Picture quality appears to be on par with the R1 release to me. Much better cover than the R1. If you have the Tosh 3900, I highly recommend returning it and getting the Philips 727 for international DVD playing...

10. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Preston,
    Where did you get the Sleepy Hollow DTS disc? I have a region free Philips 963 and would love to hear Sleepy Hollow in DTS. I was wondering what some of the good sites to get non-region 1 dvds? Thanks.

Dalton

11. PrestonB

PrestonB Auditioning

Amazon's French site.

12. PrestonB

PrestonB Auditioning

I should have read your entire reply....

I've ordered from HMV Japan for Region 3 Japanese, KoreanDVDs for Region 3 Korean, Benson's World for UK Region 2, EZY DVD for Australian Region 4 and Amazon's French site.

HMV's delivery was really fast (I ordered Blade DTS and The Mummy Returns DTS) although the prices can be a bit steep.

KoreanDVD's prices are not bad (they have a different sale running all the time) and they offer a rewards program on every purchase after the first one. However, be prepared to wait quite a long time to receive your merchandise. Shipping was extremely slow (I received stuff from everyone else first despite the fact that I ordered from them first).

Benson's World has a great selection, good prices, relatively inexpensive and speedy shipping, and great customer service.

EZY DVD has a great selection, great prices, and relatively inexpensive and speedy shipping.

Amazon's French site is just like the American one with one exception. Good selection, prices vary, easy interface, etc. The one exception is the fact that shipping from Amazon in France was actually faster than Amazon domestic. Go figure...

You'll have to search for the sites because HTF won't let me post URLs (I don't post often enough)...

13. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Okay i want to order this disc from the Amazon French site but i can't read French and i have no idea how to view the site in English. Is there anyway to get the Amazon.com French site in English?

Thanks,
    Dalton

14. PrestonB

PrestonB Auditioning

I couldn't figure out a way to get the site in English. However, if you order often enough from the domestic site, it should be pretty easy to figure out whats what.