What's new

French Connection II subtitle problem (1 Viewer)

Dave_M

Agent
Real Name
David Martin
Hello,
Finally getting around to watching the 2nd French Connection film and have noticed a strange thing. About 10 or 11 min. into the movie, french subtitles kick in at random. Usually just on phrase, then off for a while, then another. This is with subtitles set to off and seems to be on at least the 2 English soundtracks. The 1st time it happens is at 10:04 when Hackman says, "Wait a F!@$n' minute!" I get that phrase in French, then it goes away. The other thing is that there seems to be no French subtitles other than these random phrases. The other languages seem to work fine. Could someone who also ordered the box set check this. Maybe just a bad disc. Thanks.
Dave_M
------------------

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Well, I thought it was large "burnt in" english subtitles
that is not player generated. But I also noticed that they
didn't translate all french spoken. But maybe it is
intentional that we (all non French speaking) should be as confused as Popeye?
------------------

Kenneth English

Second Unit
The film has always been almost totally sans subtitles. Very little (if any) of the French dialogue is translated (to increase our identification with Doyle's outsider status). It's not a mistake or DVD error.
However, the problem you're having with the subtitles of the English dialogue sounds weird. Not sure what might be causing that if you have subtitles turned off.
[Edited last by Kenneth English on October 05, 2001 at 09:47 AM]

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
I had the exact same problem. However, just going into the menu screen and selecting "None" for menus gets rid of them. Not that we should have this problem in the first place, but there is an easy solution.
------------------
Matthew Kiernan

William Miller

Second Unit
I had the same thing happen to me on The French Connection. I haven't watched the sequel yet. Anytime a sign in English came on the screen, a French translation subtitle popped up. I have had this happen to me on other Fox discs.
I have Sony players and if you hit the English subtitle button and then keep pressing it to go back to "none", it takes you through all of the other languages. (If you don't want to use the menu method.) This is when the French thing starts happening. If you go back to the menu and hit "none" that will stop it like another member has stated.

sony 670 carousel, and hitting NONE on the DVD menu does NOT get rid of the occasional pop-up French subtitles on FOX's French Connection II dvd
It happens repeatedly in the bathroom . . . er s**thouse . . . as stated above, and outside the s**thouse at Popeye's "office", and again as the cops go down the stairs from Popeye's office.
I tried opening/shutting off the player but to no avail.
aggROVAting
ok, it works, popped the tray open, gently lifted disc and re-inserted and let it go to play without changing any settings.
the french is no longer connected, oui?
[Edited last by chris georgeson on November 03, 2001 at 10:41 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks