French chocolate dessert

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jeremy Illingworth, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I was in France and has a dessert at a restaurant and I really want to make it here. I can't find a recepie and I cannot remember the correct spelling, which makes it harder to find. It was MOO-LEE-UH au chocolat, a small chocolate cake served warm with liquid chocolate in the center. Can anybody help?

jeremy

2. hanson mat

hanson mat Stunt Coordinator

I think what you are referring to is the American version called Molten Chocolate cake. If this is what I think it is. They have recipies on foodnetwork.com.

It is yummy!

3. DougWright

DougWright Stunt Coordinator

Could you mean
    "Moelleux au chocolat"
    I would pronounce is "Moe-Ell-Uhh" (hooked on phonics worked for me )

this is a pudding type dessert.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

My guess is that this is a variation on the classic French cake, Rein de Saba, or ‘Queen of Sheba’. I no doubt have the spelling wrong, and as I’m in Ajijic, Mexico, I don’t have access to our cookbooks, I can’t correct the spelling. Also I don’t remember the recipe from memory, but if you are going to make this, get the best chocolate possible.

This is a dark chocolate cake that is baked a bit underdone, so that the center is very moist. It is glazed with more chocholete, so it is pretty rich.

The first time I tried a cake with a molten chocolate center was in Rockpool, a very upscale restaurant in Sydney. I talked with the owner/chef and he said that it took a very steady hand to make this desert. The pastry chef with the magic hand left and went to work in a Balmain (a Sydney suburb) bakery on Darling Street. She left there after a few months for parts unknown—perhaps France. [​IMG]

5. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

Like you all say, it is a chocolate cake (not glazed where I had it) with a molten center. I found what appears to be something similar on the web so I'll try it.

Doug, I previously didn't have the correct spelling of Moelleux (which I got the day after I started this thread) but the way I've got it pronounced out is how my Paris friends pronounce it.

Lew, the recipe I'm looking at right now gives and accurate description of the cake but claims it has a San Fransiscan origin.

Does it have to be eaten right away? Will the liquid center survive a night or two in the fridge? I suppose trying to reheat it would solidify the center.

I don't have any ramikins, do you think individual pie plates would do well with this?

jeremy