What's new

Freezing while you eat... (1 Viewer)

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I have noticed that in the past few years it is so blasted cold in restaurants when I am eating out. Whether it's sit down or fast food. It is like bone chilling.
When I really started noticing it, was a few years ago after California was having all those brown outs and they couldn't get enough electricity and all that crap that turned out to be a fricked up scam that cost people alot of money.....SORRY I got carried away.

Anyway, does anybody elses find this to be the case?
I wonder if it's because the employees are hot running around and being in a warm kitchen or if it's because they don't want you to be comfortable so you'll hurry up so they can milk the next cust, or if they are just trying to save a buck?

Elinor

Supporting Actor
It's all very scientific.

You burn more calories when you're cold. Your body uses the calories to produce heat. If you burn more calories, you'll feel hungrier and eat more.

Makes sense, right?

Ok, I did make it all up, but it IS logical.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
That's what I would say. If it were too warm, you'd eat slower (thus the restaurant doesn't make money in turnover).

Hmmm? Maybe we should combine this thread and my thread into one big "Why Do Restaurants Do That?" thread? :D

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I don't know, but I'm tired of it. I think I'll bring a pair of fingerless gloves or better yet, mittens and see if I get asked about them and then if I do, let them have it. Sometimes when they say, can I get you anything else, I'll ask for a shawl. They usually just laugh and then walk away befuddled. Sometimes the food plate is hot and I'll just set my hands on it and they'll say careful sir that plate is hot, and then I'll say I can't feel my hands anyway as it's so cold in here, and they just laugh and bring me more iced tea. Sometimes if I go to a resturant that has tv's, I'll bring a wool throw and wrap it around me and they'll ask what that is all about and I say. I am pretending like I'm at the stadium watching the game(pointing to the tv). They'll just laugh and walk away keeping the heat turned way down...

Mark H, I appreciate the offer, but I think it would be tragic if we combined threads. Let's shoot for next time.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I have not noticed that it is too cold in the restaurants I frequent. And if I suspected that they had turned down the heat in order to save money, I’d be really worried about how they might economize on their food. ;)

As far as how much food you might eat—I already think that many restaurants serve overly large portions.

Have you tried asking why it was so cold?

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
I'm not into being cold. Which is why when I go out to eat or go to a movie, I always bring a sweatshirt or a jacket. I even go as far as bringing a lap blanket to the movies with me.

The cold drives me crazy and I have actually said a few times to employees that it was so cold in the establishment that I thought my food needed to be heated again. lol.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
When you eat, more blood than normal goes to your stomach, so there's less blood going around to keep you warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks