What's new

Freezing Core (1 Viewer)

John_Torun

Auditioning
I just sat down to watch my recently purchased copy of The Core and about a third of the way through (Chapter 11) it started freezing up on me. Have any of you heard or seen this? I checked the disk - it looks fine. I tried restarting it and it happened again. Is it the disk or the dvd player? I'm running an Hitachi DVP725U. Any help would be appreciated. (And it just started to get interesting).
:frowning:

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Does anyone know where the layer change for this title is? I am theorizing that the freeze occurs when the laser has to switch from one layer to the next (layer change).

Neil J

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, I just watched a rented version today and it did the same thing, it only happened in chapter 11 starting at about 1:48 and lasting for about 4 to 6 minutes. After that the movie played fine.

John_Torun

Auditioning
I'm not so sure it's a layer change because it kept starting & stopping (like someone pressing the pause key repeatedly). I don't know how long it lasts 'cause I got mad after trying again with the same results. I'm going to exchange the disk today.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Do you also get pixelization/blockiness? Did you try skipping ahead a few chapters as well. It really does seem like it has trouble reading the second layer. Hopefully the other disk will work fine.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Mine worked perfectly on my JVC XVSA-70. (But I've yet to find a "War and Remmembrance: The Final Chapter" that doesn't freeze up & pixelate on the same disc)

Tim O.

Grip
Sorry to resurrect an older thread, especially being a newbie and all, but I've been having the same problem with The Core - It freezes up just after the layer change in chapter 11. I exchanged the first copy for another, and had the same problem. I even tried it on several players, all Sony, only to experience the same glitch. It seems to work fine on my computer's DVD-ROM drive though. Since others have reported the same problem, I'm beginning to think there's a problem with the authoring on this disc. Does anyone know if Paramount has an e-mail address or phone number I could call about this? - all I found was a snail mail address. This is rather unfortunate - I haven't had any problems with a Paramount DVD before this one.

Tim O.

Grip
Well, I called Paramount and it turns there is an authoring problem with this disc. They've set up an 888 number for people to call to get replacements; it's 888-370-8604. I wish they had made this problem known earlier, but at least they're trying to remedy it.

John_Torun

Auditioning
Well, Paramount has restored my faith in Hollywood. I just received my replacement disk yesterday (via UPS) and sure enough, it plays absolutely flawlessly (unlike some of the acting... but that's a different thread ;) ).
Thank-you Paramount and thanks to you Tim for chasing the number down. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks