What's new

"Freeway" (w/Sutherland&Witherspoon) Anyone seen on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
I just saw this hilarious black comedy/thriller (1996) on HBO and laughed my butt off!

Reese Witherspoon is hysterical as a "white trash" teen runaway who unwittingly hooks up with a serial killer (Sutherland) then:
winds up jailed after shooting in him self defense. You should see the way she kicks his ass then mocks him in court later on!

Has anyone seen this on DVD? I was just wondering if the quality was worthy of a purchase.

If you're a fan of Reese's, you MUST see this!

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator
Jenna, Freeway is available on DVD. I own it myself. It's an excellent movie, one of those little gems nobody has heard of but everyone you show it to loves.

My R1 DVD is from Republic Video, are they still around?

Anyway, it's non-anamorphic (I think) widescreen, THX etc.

It's been a while since I saw but IIRC the quality was good. It might be time to give the disc a spin again, if I do so I'll update this post.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
'Freeway' is one of my favorite movies. :emoji_thumbsup:
Unfortunately the R1 DVD is non-anamorphic, but the transfer is not too bad. I doubt we'll see anything better anytime soon, so I'd recommend picking it up.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
The list price is now $9.95 so you should be able to find it for $7-8 most places. It's not a perfect transfer but definitely watchable for that price! Plus it does have audio commentary with the writer/director.

Jeff

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Jenna, it is a very cheap purchase now, and I think the transfer is good enough for the price of a cheap lunch.

Regarding your spoiler, didn't you fail to cover a pretty critical item?

You probably should include the fact that Sutherland is a serial killer in the spoiler

JulianK

Supporting Actor
There's an equally cheap Region 2 disc here in the UK, which contains about twenty minutes of behind the scenes material and on-set interviews.

However, it's a full-frame transfer, it doesn't have the commentary track, and it's been cut by the BBFC!

Anyway, I thought fans of the film might want to know....

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
John, you're right. I did leave that out of my spoiler. HE did look pretty funny in the court scene, huh? I was surprised to see Brooke Shields playing his wife, right there by his side. Ick!

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
In what I think is the most bizarre promotion ever, my local Suncoast was giving away free copies of the Freeway DVD to anyone who bought National Lampoon's Van Wilder in the first week of release. So I own it... although I have yet to open it. Saw the movie years ago, though, and it rocks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks