Freeway (1996)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wallace Mason, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Wallace Mason

I saw this movie just got released on DVD Monday. In case some people missed it, it's a very entertaining and very disturbing film with a "little red riding hood" type theme. It stars Reese Witherspoon and Keifer Sutherland. Fun for the whole family, and the best part is DDD has it for $6.60. I'm not sure of the quality since I ordered it and haven't received it yet, but for that price it's well worth checking out.
    Edit: you can read Ebert's review here

2. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

Wallace,
    This DVD came out in 1997. I have had it since then. The DVD quality is pretty decent (non-anamorphic). Fans of Reese Witherspoon who have only seen her in comedies like Legally Blonde are in for a shock when they see this movie. I certainly don't remember it being a "fun for the whole family" kinda movie ...

3. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Actually, this movie has been on DVD since about 1997-1998. It was released by Artisan when they got the rights to alot of the old Republic Pictures movies. I think the date you saw was a reprice or something.

The disc is not anamorphic but has a commentary on it, and the quality is just so-so. Nothing to really complain about, but yes, this is a very good movie.

Reese Witherspoon was an unknown when this movie came out, but when I first saw it, I was blown away.

Another interested fact that not many people know is that Oliver Stone produced this movie.

Highly recommended, especially at $6!!!

4. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

5. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

I don't believe any of the early Republic pictures releases (most notably Freeway and Bound) are anamorphic, but I would still recommend Freeway because of the bargain price.

6. Wallace Mason

Oh sorry, didn't realize it was just a re-price. Also note that Angel Heart is now 6 bucks as well. Insanity!

7. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

Unfortunately, it's not anamorphic. However there is a DD5.1 track which isn't indicated on the packaging!

8. Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael Second Unit

It's worth it! I knew Reese was headed for the big time...Wonderful job!