What's new

Freeware virus scanners? (1 Viewer)

Brett_H

Second Unit
Guys,
For the past year or so I've beenusing InnoculateIT Personal Edition virus scanner. Unfortunately, updates will no longer be available after May 15th. (details here )
Anyone got suggestions for another freeware application? InnoculateIT was great because of the frequency of their updates. I'm looking for another app that has similar support.
Thanks!
-Brett "The Cheapskate" Haney.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
With all the new viruses and worms coming out these days, and the need for such frequent updates, I doubt you'll find a quality freeware virus scanner these days. Researching new threats and updating signature files takes time and money (over 100 new threats are discovered every month!).

You can get Norton AntiVirus for $30 at Best Buy, go for the CD-only pack instead of the more expensive box with the manual. It includes a free year of updates. A new version will be out before the year of free updates is over, so if you just pick up the new versions when they come out annually, you'll only be out $30/year, which IMHO is a great investment for the peace of mind it provides.

Symantec issues weekly definition updates, and will also issue updates for high risk threats when they are discovered.

When the next LoveLetter or Nimda strikes, do you think you'll be able to count on a free product to protect you?

Just my $0.02...

KJP

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I never got hit with Nimda the first time.. Working in IT
has it's benefits... I don't run Virus Scanning Software.
:)

Brett_H

Second Unit
Kevin,

When the next LoveLetter or Nimda strikes, do you think you'll be able to count on a free product to protect you?
I did the first time, and came through fine. I have no reason to doubt another freeware program wouldn't be able to do the same. I suppose I should preface this a little:

I use a Yahoo email address for all of my "real" correspondences. Any time a web form comes up, I supply my "decoy" account (provided by my ISP). Thus, I only use Outlook Express once or twice a month, to clean up the spam a little. Since a lot of the viruses that spread these days do so through the various holes in the Outlook client, I feel pretty well isolated from that. So all I really need is a program that provides realtime scanning of files I access.

As for the frequency of updates, InnoculateIT's personal edition updated at least weekly, I believe. Its licensing structure worked kind of like ZoneLab's Zonealarm: free for personal use, paid otherwise. I believe it shared virus definitions with one of their more "advanced" products, so it wasn't like it took any more resources for them to update. So yes, I do feel that a free product can, in my situation, provide adequate levels of protection.

Brian,

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out when I get home.

-Brett.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks