Freeware virus scanners?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett_H, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Guys,
    For the past year or so I've beenusing InnoculateIT Personal Edition virus scanner. Unfortunately, updates will no longer be available after May 15th. (details here )
    Anyone got suggestions for another freeware application? InnoculateIT was great because of the frequency of their updates. I'm looking for another app that has similar support.
    Thanks!
    -Brett "The Cheapskate" Haney.

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

With all the new viruses and worms coming out these days, and the need for such frequent updates, I doubt you'll find a quality freeware virus scanner these days. Researching new threats and updating signature files takes time and money (over 100 new threats are discovered every month!).

You can get Norton AntiVirus for $30 at Best Buy, go for the CD-only pack instead of the more expensive box with the manual. It includes a free year of updates. A new version will be out before the year of free updates is over, so if you just pick up the new versions when they come out annually, you'll only be out $30/year, which IMHO is a great investment for the peace of mind it provides.

Symantec issues weekly definition updates, and will also issue updates for high risk threats when they are discovered.

When the next LoveLetter or Nimda strikes, do you think you'll be able to count on a free product to protect you?

Just my $0.02...

KJP

3. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

I never got hit with Nimda the first time.. Working in IT
    has it's benefits... I don't run Virus Scanning Software.
    [​IMG]

4. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

5. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Kevin,

6. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

http://www.free-av.com/
    100% free. Picks up virus's that Norton isn't aware of. Can present false alarms as well(very rare but it happens). Updated Regularly. Considering the price...this program is GOLD!