freeware video collection manager: looking for beta testers

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Hector_, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Hector_

Hector_ Agent

Hi everybody,

I have written a program, named Coollector, which is TOTALLY FREE, and which I should release in about 1 month, when everything is tidied up. If you're willing to help by becoming a beta tester, you can download the _BETA_ version from my site (look at my signature below).

WARNING: THIS IS ONLY A DEMO VERSION
    TO TEST, AND DISCOVER WHAT COOLLECTOR
    WILL LOOK LIKE WHEN IT'S RELEASED

Here is a brief explanation of why I've spent so much time and energy writing a new collection manager, when there's already so many out there: Coollector is different, and don't necessarily addresses the same audience

First difference:
    Coollector is much easier. Maybe you've already downloaded a video collection manager before. You've found yourself in front of a complex application, with an empty database. You owned a few DVDs, but it wasn't worth the effort... With Coollector, it's all different. Right from the start, you get a database of tens of thousands movies, tens of thousands persons. And this database can be browsed with an unprecedented comfort. As you recognize movies and persons, it only takes 2 clicks to rate them. Etc... Etc...

Second difference:
    Coollector is super fast, it handles all those movies and persons so easily that your computer won't even notice...

Third difference: (the most fundamental, in my opinion)
    alright, like other programs, Coollector helps you keep track of the (few) DVDs you own. But Coollector is the only one that also keeps track of your whole cinematographical culture and taste ! The thousands movies you've seen in your life ! Browsing your collection will become an unprecedented experience. For instance, when you'll look at a person's filmography, you'll immediately spot which movies you've seen, which movies you own, how much you've liked them... Maybe you'll realize that you're a big fan of this director or that actor, without even knowing. You'll probably discover movies that you MUST see. Etc... Etc...

If you have a little interest for movies, that's an experience that will simply stir your passion up to the next level !

Hope I was convincing enough... Thank you very much for your help [​IMG]

2. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Sounds really interesting, Hector! I can't commit time to beta-test, but I will definitely check it out when it goes gold.

How will the database work? Will it connect to an online repository? Will the user just have to download updates regularly?

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Hector,

It is indeed very easy to use. However, the database it's connected to only includes movies. It's a real limitation for most of us not to be able to include our tv on dvd.

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I like the concept, but it would need to run on a Mac to be useable for me.

5. Hector_

Hector_ Agent

6. Hector_

Hector_ Agent

I have of course PDA and smartphones in mind [​IMG]

One last thing: Metakit files are platform-independant. That means that, for instance, a Mac user can send his coollection to his Windows user friend, without problem.

7. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Thanks for the info, Hector. I'll try to check it out over the weekend.

Woohoo! [​IMG]

8. Hector_

Hector_ Agent

There I have your attention :wink:

In fact, that will be split into 2 distinct catalogs: gay adult movies & staight adult movies.

Rejoice, my friend [​IMG]

9. Rhoq

Rhoq Supporting Actor

Hector - I'd be willing to give "Coollector" a try. I'm a Mac user as well, but I can run it under Virtual PC (that's what I do with DVD Profiler).

10. Hector_

Hector_ Agent

Thank you very much, Rhoq ! I'd definitively like to know wether or not Coollector works with a Mac and Virtual PC ! You'll find the beta version on my site.

I've already been told that Coollector worked with Linux and Wine (apart from a minor problem with title bars).

Also, since you're using DVD Profiler, I'd really like to know wether or not you would consider using Coollector in parallel with DVD Profiler.