1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Freeman in "Nurse Betty"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TheoGB, Oct 13, 2002.

1. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I saw Nurse Betty for the first time yesterday after grabbing it for a tenner in the HMV sale, and was definitely impressed.

However, I wondered what people thought about Morgan Freeman's character. I couldn't quite work out if he jarred or not. Chris Rock seemed more what I expected, whereas Freeman maybe seemed somehow too nice or simply too weird. Did anyone else find his character to be weird in the movie's context?

2. Rain

Rain Producer

The whole movie is weird. It's kind of supposed to be.

Are you sure you got what was happening...

As the search for Betty went on, the Freeman character was formulating an idea of her in his mind. Based on his perceptions of what she would be, he was falling in love with her.

I love Morgan Freeman in this film!

3. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Yeah, Rain, I got that. I guess it didn't stop the movie being a damn fine film. I don't know, I just couldn't see Morgan in that role. It's an interesting character - at once repulsive and likeable, yet without the need for the cool flashyness with which Tarantino performs this task.
    I suppose it's just not what I would expect. But I think I like it!! [​IMG]

4. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

The whole film didn't quite work for me. It's a polished production, and you can't really fault any of the performances, but...... no. I sat on the fence for a while, but after gathering my thoughts I just couldn't get a handle on it.
    So to sum up, I don't really know whether I like it or not. [​IMG]

5. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I just saw this film for the first time, too. It left a sour taste in my mouth. I thought it was wildly uneven. Part light-comedy, part graphic shoot-em-up. One of the most bi-polar movies I've ever seen.
    I was terribly disappointed, considering I love the work of Freeman, Zellweger, Rock, & Kinnear.
    I strongly, actively dislike this movie. This was the first DVD I've ever Ebay'd; couldn't get rid of it fast enough.
    Got a paltry three bucks for it, too. [​IMG]
    Jon

6. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

7. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

I first saw this in the theatre with my mother. After twenty minutes, I looked over at her and checked if she wanted to leave (after the scalping scene). She didn't, and we stuck through it.

After we left, we both agreed it was a very good film. I recently bought the DVD and my wife saw it for the first time. She, too, wanted to turn it off after 20 minutes, but I implored her to stick with it, and she did. She liked it a lot, too.

Morgan Freeman was incredible in it. I was very impressed with his performance, which bordered on the ridiculous at times (his obsession with Betty), but the tenderness he showed when he met her at the end was top-notch.