Free Warner DVD of Oscar-Winning Shorts at Barnes & Noble

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Roger Rollins, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

Haven't seen much press about this, and I don't think there has been anything posted elsewhere here, so I thought I'd bring this to the attention of HTF members:

Warner has put together a DVD containing several Oscar-winning short subjects from their library that have not yet otherwise been available on DVD. The shorts are from both WB's own library as well as their own classic MGM library.

You can get this DVD for FREE with a purchase of any of Warner's Oscar-winning titles on DVD (either their big new releases that street tomorrow or older Oscar winners already on DVD) exclusively at Barnes & Noble.

I saw the display and my local B&N yesterday, but will return tomorrow so I can get this free DVD when I buy MY FAIR LADY, GRAND HOTEL, MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY and the other new titles that Warner has coming out.

Apparently the promotion also ties in with Turner Classic Movies and their annual Oscar celebration.

I usually buy most of my DVDs at Barnes on street date, and I love old Hollywood short subjects, so I'm excited about this free DVD offer. I hope Warner does more of this kind of thing.

2. Conrad_SSS

Conrad_SSS Second Unit

How cool! I knew nothing about this and was planning to pick up most of the new Warner titles tomorrow.

Another [​IMG] for WB!

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Roger

Do you have any idea if this offer is available online and to us folk over in the UK & Europe ?

Regards

Oscar

4. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Any idea which short films are on the DVD?

5. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

What Oscar said.. this sounds great! Us outside of the US would surely love this DVD of Oscar winning shorts.

6. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

Quick question, why? B&N has the highest price of any retailer. List price or higher.

7. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    This is annoying! I'd really like this collection and would quite happily BUY it if it was available for sale but obviously cannot obtain it as a free item outside of the USA.

8. Eric Emma

Eric Emma Supporting Actor

Maybe I'll go and finally buy Citizen Kane(I look it up it won the oscar for Best Writing, Orignal Screenplay)

9. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Did anyone pick it up yet? I'm dying to know what the shorts are...

10. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

The DVD is called '31 Days of Oscar: Academy Award-Winning Short Films'

It includes the following Oscar winning shorts:

1935's 'How to Sleep' (10:38)
    1937's 'Penny Wisdom' (9:48)
    1939's 'Sons of Liberty' (20:32)
    1940's 'Quicker'N a Wink' (9:11)
    1945's 'Star in the Light' (21:23)

It also includes the following original theatrical trailers:

My Fair Lady (5:02)
    Mrs. Miniver (2:38)
    Mutiny on the Bounty (3:11)
    Goodbye, Mr. Chips (4:03)
    Gaslight (1:53)
    Grand Hotel (2:23)
    The Great Ziegfeld (3:32)

The transfers of all these are actually quite decent considering their age and that most of these have never seen the light of day on video. The two Warner shorts ('Sons of Liberty' and 'Star in the Light') are real gems. 'How to Sleep' and 'Penny Wisdom' might as well have come from a time capsule as they offer a humorous look back at the 30's culture. 'Quicker'N a Wink' is a very famous documentary short which many have probably seen snippets from over the years. It features Dr. Harold Edgerton demonstrating stroboscopic photography where he captures various movements in slow motion (golf ball swing and exploding through a phone book; a bullet smashing a light bulb; a drop of milk splashing into a bowl of milk; a hummingbird's beating wings; etc). The hardest scene to watch is the slow motion capture of a root canal. [​IMG]

There is some information about this special DVD offer in the new issue of TCM's 'Now Playing' Movie Guide:

[​IMG]

11. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Does it come in a regular case (snapper) or in a small sleeve?

12. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

A carboard sleave the size of a standard DVD case - but that shouldn't matter much as it would be very ease to convert it to a standard DVD keep case.

13. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

My Barnes & Noble claimed to know absolutely nothing about this. Are there any official notices of this offer I could print out? I checked the B&N web site and found nothing there.

14. Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd Second Unit

Yeah same with my Barnes and Noble. The guy took out his plan book, then dug around the cabinet and found the box of free DVDs. He then said it wasn't supposed to be out until 2/4 when the sale prices went on today's released DVDs. Totally bizarre. His plan book said 2/3. When I pointed this out he told me to go ahead and take one.

It just cracks me up that those of us who frequent these forums end up knowing more than people who work in these stores about their DVDs, offers, policy etc... ED WOOD DVD case in point.

15. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    I don't think my local Barnes & Noble here in Burbank even carries DVDs...

16. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    Walked into the music/video section of my B&N this evening and right there at the entrance was a large display of Warner DVDs (including all of today's releases) with a big sign touting the free DVD. Grabbed Gaslight and got my freebee when I checked out.

It's incredible to me that these chains don't do a better job of keeping all of their stores up to date.

17. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

I zoomed over to Barnes & Noble on my lunch hour to pick up the new Warner titles, and there was a huge display by the cash register with all the Warner Oscar DVDs, both new releases & previously available ones.

Although I purchased 6 new features, the first thing I popped in was the free shorts disc. I really love classic short subjects, and it's a treat to have this DVD. I already transferred the disc to a keepcase.

The shorts Warner selected are really terrific, and they do look very good considering their age. The TECHNICOLOR Pete Smith short looks particularly vivid.

It's also fun to have all those trailers in one place too.

A great little extra from B&N and WB.

Now, it's time to get back to the second half of MY FAIR LADY (which DOES look loverly by the way!)
    [​IMG]

18. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I have got a request for you folks living in the US.

Since it is fairly easy for some of you to get extra free copies, would you drop me an email or PM. This way I would be able to get one as well. I would be willing to pay P&S charges.

Thanks Oscar

19. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

None of the B&N's around here carry DVD's. Does anyone know of any other way to get this?

20. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug

I'd like to make the same request. If someone has a spare copy please email me and I'll be happy to reimburse any costs.