What's new

Free time in Southern Cal...What to do? (1 Viewer)

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Headed out this weekend to visit with family in San Diego, but afterward we're going up to L.A. for 3-4 days before headed home. I know we're going to Universal Studios, but other than that, our time is pretty much open. Anyone have any good ideas on what to see other than the standard theme park visits (I've already been to all of them)? Best beaches, hiking areas, restaurants, etc? We've got a room booked in Orange County, but we have a rental car, so distance isn't really a problem.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Assuming you're interested in movies :D you can go to:

Mann's Chinese Theater
Cineramadome - both this and Mann Chinese are in Hollywood so you can walk the streets as well
Mann Village (Westwood) - you can visit UCLA while you're here as well, and it's a few miles away from Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica and Venice Beach is a few miles south (though Venice is not what it used to be)

I'll try to come up w/ some cool things to do in OC. You say distance isn't a problem, but that's because you haven't experienced the parking lots...er...freeways of LA yet.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
I agree with Carlo's suggestions. If you're a movie theater fan, the Chinese is a must. Eating options in Hollywood: Musso & Franks, pricey, but old-Hollywood style. The Pig & Whistle is also nice. There's also Miceli's Italian just off Hollywood Blvd, which is more reasonably priced. If you want to get funky, LA style, I suggest Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles, or Pink's Hot Dogs on La Brea.

You might want to run up to Griffith Park to visit the observatory, and get a nice view of LA and the Hollywood sign. There's also plenty of good hiking in the park. Be sure to keep an eye out for rattlesnakes! There's one path that takes you up to a little oasis on the top of a hill where they've set up irrigation.

The 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica is good if you want big name store shopping; there are street performers, and a few good restaurants. My favorite is nearby: Cha Cha Chicken, a Jamaican jerk-chicken place on Pico and Ocean, down by the beach (try the chicken enchiladas). Santa Monica also has the pier with its carousel (seen in The Sting and other movies), and small amusement park, the world's only solar-powered ferris wheel, and a Bubba Gump restaurant. That puts you on the beach where you can rent bikes, rollerblades, Segways and cruise the boardwalk into Venice. (Note: if you want to swim, head north or south where the water is cleaner.)

The oldest operating Big Boys is in Burbank; they have carhop service Saturday and Sunday nights, and classic cars on Friday nights. There are a lot of 1950s "Googie" style coffee shops in LA, if that's your style.

If you want more info, like addresses, let me know. Have a good time!

mylan

Screenwriter
You have to see the Walk Of Fame, on one hand it is quite the feeling to stand there and gaze at all the names, on the other hand, it is quite different in than what you see on tv. Hollywood Blvd. is a dirty place, full of sex shops and bums sleeping unless something has changed in the ten years since i've been.
Also:Venice Beach for the odd people and sites you'll see.
Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills (pronounced Ro De O). Drive down some streets there and you'll realize most homes are smaller than what you see on tv.
I love L.A. and could spend six months exploring provided I didn't have to work and commute, i'm sure the traffic has gotten worse.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Last I checked, both Paramount and Warner Brothers had studio tours (weekdays only I believe). No thrill rides, just tours of working studios. On a Paramount tour I was able to walk through the Brady's living room and into their backyard. :)

The Peterson Automotive Museum or the Getty Museum might also be interesting depending on what floats your boat.

Lots to choose from. Have fun.

-Keith

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I was in Santa Monica a few years ago, rented a bike and played tourist briefly around Venice Beach, the pier, then for hours in nearby neighborhoods. Really enjoyed it. Peace and quiet especially once you're away from the beach area.

Somebody else mentioned the Third Street Promenade. Also very enjoyable, not the typical tourist mall I expected. Really liked an English Pub I found. Not sure how realistic it was, but still a lot of fun and much more 'real' than the phony Disney crap.

Universal Studios was surprisingly pretty good. Sadly the Jurassic Park ride wasn't quite ready when I was there.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
In Orange County:

-In N Out burgers

-Pinkberry yogurt

You want what I think is the best pizza I've ever had? Try Cortina's in Anaheim off Orange and Brookhurst.

Visit Little Saigon.

There's also a great store for DVDs called DVD Planet in Huntington Beach on Beach Blvd.

In LA, check out the Amoeba music/video store and try some Papa Beard's creme puffs at that Highland and Hollywood center.

~T

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
Mylan, Hollywood has greatly improved in the past ten years. Also, Rodeo Drive is pronounced Ro DAY Oh...

Stan: from what I hear, Santa Monica has the highest concentration of Brits outside of Great Britain. We have a number of British pubs. The one closest to the Promenade is the King's Head, which is on Santa Monica at 2nd. They also have a restaurant and a shop where you can buy various English products.

mylan

Screenwriter

Good to hear, Hollywood Blvd. was a mess when I was there, my sister lived in L.A. and cautioned me against going there at night and yeah, I knew Rodeo was pronounced like that but I couldn't think of the proper way to type it at the time.
Another suggestion I just thought of, drive up through Malibu on Pacific Coast Highway a bit, the coastline is unlike anything on the east coast.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
I second the Getty. Great views, great art, beautiful gardens, and all at no charge.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The Getty is definitely worth visit (or more than one), but you need to make reservations in advance.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
A tip to the OP: The Getty has, in addition to wonderful artwork, some really great views of the city (it's on top of a small mountain). It overlooks West LA and on a good day, LA and the ocean. If you're a photographer, don't forget to bring your camera.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan

Absolutely, and not just for the skyline, either. The building/grounds itself is architecturally impressive. Last time I went was over two years ago, and since then my desktop wallpaper has been a shot from the main entrance pointing skyward.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Had a great time, but I'm ecstatic to be back at work! ;) I would have loved to have gotten up to the Getty, but unfortunately I was traveling with someone that doesn't appreciate art. Definitely a must for my next trip. Really packed a lot into this trip...drives down the coast to San Diego (the zoo) and up the coast to Venice, Santa Monica and Malibu. Most of my time in the water was at Huntington Beach. I had no idea that beach was eight miles long. Geez...

I will agree with anyone that throws their arms up over the traffic in L.A. It's really much, much worse than when I was there in '96. Tried to stay off the freeways during peak times, but the problem is that there are more peak times than off-peak! THE HOV lanes are okay, but you have to pay attention to the signs that say when the next exit points are. I missed freeway interchanges two or three times because I couldn't get out of the HOV lanes to the exit ramps in time. I also can't get over the number of motorcycle riders that just zoom in between lanes of traffics. In Chicago those drivers would get creamed as there's so many automobiles switching lanes in stop and go traffic.

San Diego Zoo has to be the best in the nation. The giant pandas are awesome. Universal Studios was crowded, but not nearly as crowded as I expected for mid-July. We got to the park around 9:15 (having pre-purchased tickets online) and got down to the lower level and rode both the Mummy and Jurassic Park three times each before any semblance of a crowd arrived. I was surprised that some of the shows haven't changed in 12 years. Waterworld still..come on. Simpsons ride was okay, but I always liked BTTF, so I'm biased.

Made it up to the Griffith observatory with it's exellent vistas...no rattlesankes, though. Hollywood...still seedy, although with new high end retailers thrown in. Walked the entire Walk of Fame, keeping a hand on my wallet at all times. Still just as many wackos outside Mann's as I remember. Some clown wearing Spiderman pajamas liked striking poses of construction scaffolding and expected pedestrians to pass underneath his crotch. No thanks...

Made it up to Beverly Hills and had lunch at the ultra-swanky...Cheesecake Factory. :D Found a city parking garage that allowed up to two hours for free...not a chance of doing that back home.

Found a fantastic multi-level park up on Mulholland Drive that offered breathtaking vistas of both L.A. and Hollywood Hills. Have to imagine that short of the Getty property, this has to be the best photography location in the city.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.