What's new

Free SACD with Nov. 21st Rolling Stone Magazine! (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
This thread reminds me of why I have spent almost no time in this area for the last couple of months (check out my post counts). Sniping at DVD-A (alternating with paying lip service), provoking and soliciting responses (only to complain when the response arrives), and the usual hollow threats to leave the forum.
Michael,

I am not sure where there has been sniping at DVDA. Mark Waldrep suggested that more artists are not gravitating to SACD but recently we have seen all manner of artists releasing Super Audio discs and DVDAs continue to come out at a trickle. I like DVDA when done well and not gimmicky in the surrounds, but there is little major label support for newer titles.

Mark goes on to suggest that the RS promotion will have little effect, but we are at least seeing a significant marketing contribution in this campaign. At least some Super Audio backers and Rolling Stone are doing something creative. And the disc is really good with tracks that appeal to a wide variety of tastes.

I and many others would like to see Warner, AIX and others releases a DVDA sampler. Wouldn't it be cool to listen to Van Morrison in hirez?

I think if you really cared about the music, you would support the RS effort as it will likely lead to more titles in hirez and that's a big leap in quality and a chance to have a more current mastering.

Just because one questions DVDAs lousy marketing and lack of titles, does not mean one does not like the DVDAs they own and appreciate the format. I even record music in 24/88.2 and like my Donald Fagan DVDA albums and the AIX titles a bunch. I just want more selection. I can't wait to hear what Mark is going to do with Willie Nelson.

If you don't want to participate in the HTF then that's a great thing about such a democratic forum, you can opt out or in whenever you want.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
At this point if everybody really 'cared about the music' they'd get a hybrid player and shut the hell up about the so-called format war
Amen, brother. Every couple of weeks I get a couple of new hi-rez releases and more often than not I'm happy. I have the first gen Pioneer combo player, and don't care a bit which format the music I'm interested in comes in. However, looking at my collection, it looks like I buy more SACDs by a factor of 4.

"Sony doesn't market"
"When Sony tries to market, I think it's dumb"

Shut up.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I am not sure where there has been sniping at DVDA. Mark Waldrep suggested that more artists are not gravitating to SACD but recently we have seen all manner of artists releasing Super Audio discs and DVDAs continue to come out at a trickle.
Lee,

I have to disagree with your proceeding statement, especially given the facts of the matter. In addition to the excellent releases AIX puts out, in the past couple months DVD-A has seen titles from Sinatra, REM, Three Doors Down, Santana, Wyclef Jean, Everclear, Megadeth, Barenaked Ladies, Flaming Lips, Sting, Diana Krall, Ryan Adams, Sheryl Crowe, Marvin Gaye, Luther Vandross, and Chicago to name a few. Most people wouldn't call that a trickle.

Your anti-DVD-A rhetoric is reaching a new low, with many of your statements bordering on the line of outright lies. Please give us all a rest.

By the way, did you know how many copies Santana Supernatural, which is out tomorrow (my copy has shipped), has sold? (Hint: Only 1 million less copies than DSOTM, and it didn't take 30 years to do so). I would call this a superstar artist, a giant release to DVD-A, and maybe the biggest Hi-res release to date in any format. For some reason if this title came out on SACD, I would probably expect no less than 15 threads on the topic started by yourself. Hmmmm.

This ends my lesson on the truth and learning perspective.

J

BrianEK

Stunt Coordinator
I'm confused about when this rolling stones magazine and sacd sampler is released? In the thread title it says this mag was released on nov. 21st but at my local circuit city all the promotional flyers say it is the dec. 11 issue that will contain the disc. what's the deal? is this currently out or not?

John Geelan

Screenwriter
It should be arriving on store shelves this week. Subscribers should also be receiving this issue during the week.

Check around your neighborhood.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I got mine at a Tower records yesterday. They had to go to the back to get one for me since none were on the shelves yet.

Loved the sampler. Now I need to go buy the Billy Joel, Norah Jones and Miles Davis SACDs.

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator
Lee, have you seen the magazine anywhere in Alpharetta?
I've checked Media Play on North Point, and also the Barnes and Noble twice. Any suggestions as I really want to pick this up before Thanksgiving to use as a demo. Thanks

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
tiny niche formats
with equal quality.
So I hope no one's buying these universal, but not equal players.
Because, unfortunately if someone say's DVD-A sounds better.
It's very likely their player, lacks the ability too properly play back SACD.
Or, at the very lease, to the reproduce the quality it reproduces with DVD-A.
The Yamaha is getting prop's for reproducing both with equal skill.
So, you got to wait a while longer, for the war's to sort themselves out! :angry:

Of coarse, it's great news that the Yamaha list for $1000.
So I hope your 'dream' comes true, SOON!;)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Got the issue in the mail yesterday.

The disc packaging claims it to be a Hybrid, but it won't play on my Dell desktop or laptop. Didn't try it in the car this morning.

jim_arrows

Auditioning
I found it at the local Food Lion last night... :b You gotta love it when you pick up a SACD at the Food Lion for $4.95!!! :D

Having never heard Miles Davis before, I was disappointed that there's so much hiss in the left channel... I guess I'm used to these 30+ year old titles being restored to perfection, but it seems that the "noise floor" (for lack of a better term) in the left channel seems distractingly high. It's weird that the problem doesn't seem to be in the right channel, where I can clearly hear the brush on the cymbals (? if that's the right terms to use, I'm not a musician, I just like to listen to the stuff). Anybody else notice this, or is it just me? btw, love the Sax on this track, is that the Coltrane guy I've read so much about around here? (Please forgive a newbies ignorance).

Thanks,
Jim

cwhite

Second Unit
I finally got my RS in the mail complete with SACD sampler. I already had 1/3rd of these tracks on other discs. The one that surprised me the most was "Sweet Emotion" by Aerosmith.
While it had great channel separation, I played the SACD version against the same track I have from a Stereo Review Sony Mastersound sampler CD, I liked the CD(super bit mapped)
version of the song better than the SACD.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Lee, have you seen the magazine anywhere in Alpharetta?
Chris, Happy Thanksgiving! Try Barnes & Noble at North Point. I bought mine at Joe Muggs in Buckhead which seems to "street" magazines the earliest. I hope you win something. My sampler had just the nine tracks, but it is persuading me to buy The Who and Elton John. :)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Typical hyperbole...I have two ThinkPads, my wife has a Gateway, and we have never had a problem...I think the reality is just a few machines have trouble and that may be more the fault of CD implementation as the redbook layer is done to Philips spec.
And yet more typical hyperbole? Just because you haven't had problems, doesn't mean others haven't. I've tried my Dylan hybrid in a number of CDROM & DVDROM drives on a handful of machines with zero luck so far. What the heck does "just a few" machines mean when this forum, and plenty of others, have had a good number of posts about hybrids not playing.

You don't have to defend SACD to the death, Lee.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks