1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Free PDF Creator for Windows?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Patrick Larkin, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Hello - I need a freeware pdf processor for Windows. Since MacOS X can process pdf files natively, Windows users come to me to convert Word and rtf documents to pdf for them. I'd like to point them to a tool where they can do it themselves. Thanks.

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

If they're basic Word and RTF documents, the newest version of OpenOffice (which can read Word and RTF documents) has an "export to PDF" function built into it. It's never given me a problem, but admittedly I've never used it for complicated documents.

GhostScript is a free converter but is not all that easy to set up and use. Once it's up, it's pretty good although the last time that I used it (about a year ago) it had some formatting issues. GhostScript is also multi-platform is available in Windows and several versions of UNIX.

PDF995 is also a freebie, but you'll get a pop-up advertisement every time that you convert something.

Although I've never used it, CutePDF seems to be relatively popular as well.

3. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Thanks. That should do the trick!