Free Optical Mouse (after rebate) @ Circuit City

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Jacobson, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

There is an USB optical wheel mouse at Circuit City which is free after two rebates. (I think it cost around $20 before the rebates). It was advertised in the Sunday paper here in Olympia, WA. I got one and it works well.

I don't remember the brand name, but it had the word Micro in it.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Micro Innovations? I'd stay away from their products as the optical Micro-I mouse I'm using now acts up pretty badly. The left mouse button doesn't work sometimes and it doesn't feel comfortable ergonomically, just bad build quality. I've found that you get what you pay for with mice, but if it's for free I guess you have nothing to lose (except postage)...

3. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

plus you said USB. I'd avoid USB mouses like the black plague.

4. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

avoid USB mice? probably not if you've ever used one. an optical mouse hooked up to a USB port is just about as good as it gets. accuracy is a huge improvement over the same mouse in the PS/2 port, and it's like night and day from a ball mouse in a PS/2 port. i can't go back to ball mice, and i can't even go back to optical in a PS/2 port.

although i will admit that i went through 2 microsoft intelimouse explorers that died way sooner than they should have, but my logitech dual mouseman optical is still going strong.

5. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

I just switched my Logitech cordless Trackman to the usb port to see if there is any difference. I had it on the PS2 port with the usb-ps2 adapter it came with. Not sure if I see a difference yet. I guess with XP, I don't really need a mouse that works in DOS any more.

6. Kevin Cagle

Kevin Cagle Agent

Switching a cordless mouse from one port to another will make absolutely no difference anyway, b/c the refresh rate is already so low on a cordless mouse. The cordless optical mouses are even worse. So much so that games like Quake are rendered unplayable due to the low refresh rate.
    Hopefully this will improve soon.
    Here is a link to a program called Refresh rate plus that will allow you to adjust the refresh rate on your mouse and will also give you averages of your refresh rate, so you can compare the different ports:
    Refresh rate plus