HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
Martin Dew submitted a new blog post

Free Minnow video guide app combines streaming platforms
1-2-1024x673.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
What I find fascinating is that this is exactly what Apple claimed their TV app was going to do but, they have fail miserably. A big reason is because they could never get Netflix to sign on so, how did this company get Netflix onboard when Netflix told Apple that they wanted their subscribers to use their app?

I may download this and see how it works but, I wonder how it handles multiple profiles for services like Netflix, Hulu, Disney+ ad Apple TV+ on devices like Apple TV?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
But you can't WATCH anything within the Minnow app, nor can you keep track of all the content you are currently watching, both of which you can do with Apple TV.

Those are not insignificant points to leave out when comparing the two.

What Apple TV does is much more fully integrated and therefore more complex than what Minnow is doing.

Minnow has not gotten Netflix "onboard" with anything. This is just searching their database the same way Siri and Roku already do.

Last edited:

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
What I find fascinating is that this is exactly what Apple claimed their TV app was going to do but, they have fail miserably. A big reason is because they could never get Netflix to sign on so, how did this company get Netflix onboard when Netflix told Apple that they wanted their subscribers to use their app?

It seems I've read somewhere that Apple wants a cut for any subscriptions signed up through through Apple TV. Netflix didn't need to give Apple a cut for really doing nothing. I can't say I blame them.

But if you go to the Minnow site, it shows the Minnow app is available on Apple TV and Apple TV 4K anyway! So you can install an app on Apple TV to do what Apple TV could do directly. !?!?!

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
It seems I've read somewhere that Apple wants a cut for any subscriptions signed up through through Apple TV. Netflix didn't need to give Apple a cut for really doing nothing. I can't say I blame them.

But if you go to the Minnow site, it shows the Minnow app is available on Apple TV and Apple TV 4K anyway! So you can install an app on Apple TV to do what Apple TV could do directly. !?!?!

No, no - you're confusing a couple of different things. You can't sign up to services like Netflix through the Apple TV box because of the commission thing, but that's a different issue from why it's not on the Apple TV app.

For example, you also can't sign up for Disney+ and Amazon Prime through the Apple TV box either, but they ARE included in the app. Netflix chose not to take part because it saw value in controlling the user experience of its service.

Saying that this company was able to achieve a deal with Netflix that Apple wasn't is a terribly inaccurate representation of what this is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks