What's new

Free mgm dvds at pizza hut !!!!! (1 Viewer)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I was at pizza hut today, and they have an offer where if you purchase a large pizza , you get to choose from 4 dvds . The movies are honeymoon in vegas, mr mom , bill and teds bogus journey, and all dogs go to heaven 2. Keep in mind they are all in fullscreen, except dogs, but comeon for free i can just this once overlook it, because i kind of like these movies!:) The offer ends in august, so ill definitely be able to get all 4. Today i just got honeymoon.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
comeon for free i can just this once overlook it,
Pah! Please. It's just more commercialized pandoring to the lowest common denominator.

So not only do you get to clog your arteries by ordering from Grease-a Hut, you get to have your eyeballs wrung from MARed DVDs (except Dogs). If they can't do it right, they shouldn't bother doing it at all; however, if Dogs is OAR, that would possibly make it worthwhile for that one DVD.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
There's only one version of Bill and Ted at retail, and it's wide. It would be odd if MGM made a 4:3 version just for this promo.

Anyoen know why they're havign sequels only for Bill and Ted and All Dogs Go to Heaven? They aren't moving as well at retail and this is how they're getting rrid of spares?

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Just FYI someone over at DVDTalk posted that these discs come with about 10 minutes of forced ads at the beginning of the discs, which are NOT on the retail discs. One person said they were unable to skip the ads at all, while another said they were able to FF through them but not skip straight to the menu, so that may be player-dependent.

Just wanted to give fair warning to anyone considering getting these.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Is All Dogs Go to Heaven 2 widescreen? It was supposed to be, I think. Though it went quickly to video, it did play in theaters. The retail disc, which I reviewed some time back, was MAR.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Sounds like the free DVDs that came on cereal last year. I got "The Muppets take Manhattan" and the only way to get past these commercials was to fast forward. You couldn't press menu or hit chapter skip. It was also P&S, so I gave it away. I wouldn't mind picking up "Bill & Ted", but not if I'm forced to watch 10 minutes of mind-numbing drivel telling me that I need to drink more Coke. I'd rather pay the $9.99 that Best Buy is charging.

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
These titles would make me more likely to eat pizza at another establishment than get free bad movies in fullscreen with crappy commercials at the beginning. There's a difference between bad movies that are fun to watch because they're so bad and bad movies that are so bad its unbearable to sit through them. I'd rank these in the latter. Now a free copy of Plan 9 from Outer Space - that'd get me to order a pizza any day of the week!

Eric F

Screenwriter
Ah come on- Don't harsh on B&T:BJ! It's a fun flick, with lots of little homages to other films. Pay close attention to the particular Star Trek episode they're watching at the beginning of the film.;)

Besides, I think Pizza Hut is hoping that people watching that particular film might get the munchies and order another pie.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
I'm with Jeff. Up until this moment I had assumed that Pizza Hut, my 2nd favorite pizza establishment (second to Papa John's) was neither pro-full screen or pro-wide screen. Now that I know their stance it has slipped on my list to number 4, behind Domino's and Hungry Howie's, a local pizza chain.

If I'm at a party and someone suggests Pizza Hut I will now say "Hell no, they support fullscreen dvd's".

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I doubt its their "stance" - the advertising suits who came up with this probably don't know better about the difference between P/S and WS. It's more likely these were the freebies that MGM gave them to dump.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
Hehe, I was being a bit fecitious but yeah. These discs really stink...especially if we are being subjected to 10 minutes of commercials at the start!

NO OAR=NO PIZZA SALE!

Heck, BAD MOVIE=NO PIZZA SALE!

I bet if Papa John's did this they would offer Criterion discs with their breadsticks.

Phooey on MAR Hut.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Well, you could always just use the P&S discs as a pizza-cutter. Might be sharp enough. What do ya think? Genius, or what?! :)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Actually it does sound like the suits knew the difference if they went out of their way to produce a P&S version with forced commercials instead of the W/S anamorphic version that already existed for B&TBJ. HiVegas is non-enhanced 1.85 too.

Of course these are all open matte rather than P&S I think, but still, they had to re-author DVDs just for this promo instead of giving away versions that already existed.

And BTW, these are all bargin titles anyway, running around $10-$11, which makes the deal sound even lamer.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
Exactly Gary! The benefits of widescreen dvd's could be lauded in each Domino's pizza restaurant and in catalogs complete with pictures of what you're missing out on. Copies of that widescreen 101 thing could be handed out as well. They could even take a stab at Pizza Hut and say: "Come in to Domino's.....where you get the best pizza AND the whole picture!"

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Hell why not just have a pizza delivery place that also rents DVDs. Pizza and a movie in 30 minutes or less. All you have to do is drop off the DVD.

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Tony,

Please let us know how you're feeling after your arteries have unclogged, and the paramedics have finished pumping your stomach!:b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks