Free LotR for test driving a kia

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Devin U, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Devin U

Devin U Second Unit

I was reading on dvdtalk that Kia will give you a free copy of LotR just for test drining their new suv (http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=215465). You just go to the kia website and request info on this model, and you get a card for a free dvd. All you have to do is take it to the dealer and they sign it or stamp it or something. Alot of people who posted there said that they didnt even have to test drive, just present it to a kia dealer to sign. Sounds like a easy way to get a free dvd to me.
    info request for the suv/ w the coupon
    http://www.kiasorento.com/

2. Bill Gato

Bill Gato Stunt Coordinator

Reading the website (took awhile to find any mention of the LotR offer, I came to the conclusion that the info on the movie offer is very unclear.

++++++++

To help promote the launch of the Sorento, Kia has developed a comprehensive, integrated advertising and promotional campaign in conjunction with the August 6 VHS/DVD release of New Line's "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring," the blockbuster hit of 2001 and the recipient of four Academy Awards®. New Line Home Entertainment will promote the new Sorento in its extensive advertising and merchandising campaign for the VHS/DVD release, and Kia will promote the VHS/DVD release via a test drive promotion that will be communicated in television, print, Internet and dealership point-of-sale materials.

+++++++++

I have a feeling that when you jump through all of the hoops, you will end up with a VHS copy of the movie, not DVD. Just a big assumption on my part. Hope I'm wrong.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I'm wondering where you physically get the movie from. I mean, I go take the test drive. A salesman signs my form or card or whatever. Great. Now, how do I turn the signed card into the movie?

4. Devin U

Devin U Second Unit

I think you then mail it in and it gets sent to you. I plan on getting the 4 disc issue in November myself, but ill test drive a kia fro a free copy of the regular release.

5. Stephen Fagan

Stephen Fagan Stunt Coordinator

I can't find any card/coupon request at the website, is it necessary? And if it is, how would someone without Internet Access be able to get it? Surely they think of those people too.

6. Den_J

Den_J Auditioning

Devin, My bet is you will probably have your 4-disc version sooner than the freebie by mail.

7. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    Kias are such cheap pieces of metal that they could probably make more profit by giving the cars away free with purchase of the DVD.
    LOTR will have better resale value, too![​IMG]

8. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Granted Kias are cheap. However, they still offer excellent value. For example, I own a 2000 Sephia. The difference between that and a Mazda Protege physically is very little, especially as Ford had a great deal of input with the Sephia, which was one of the reasons I bought it.

That being said, Kia is only doing the P&S version of the movie rather than the WS. If you want the WS version you will have to buy it.

9. Tim_Speicher

Tim_Speicher Stunt Coordinator

10. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Has anyone received their "coupon" for it? I requested the info almost two weeks ago and haven't seen anything yet.

Bob

11. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Well, I guess I get the guinea pig award for this one. I went off to the local Kia dealership. It's a really small one with only about 30 cars on the lot. I really wanted to take a peek at the Sorrento and might as well test drive it to get the DVD.

Talked with a young guy and he said that they didn't get any Sorrentos in and it's probably due early Sept. Told him that I'd go ahead and test drive any car if it's needed to qualify for the DVD. He said I'll give you a certificate anyways if I can call you when the Sorrento comes in. I said ok and I really want to look at it in person anyways.

So he gave me the certificate, I gave him my business card (no home phone!) and off I ran. The certificate is nice, 3D effect on the front and instructions on the back.

You call into a special 800 number with the ID code on the back, answer where you got the info on this promotion and which car you test drove, voice in your name and address, dial in your phone # and whether you want VHS or DVD. There was no choice in P&S or widescreen. Expect a 4-6 week wait.

As noted above, I'm not holding out any promise on the widescreen version. If it's P&S, I'll just give it away as a present. I've got the 10 week rental card Blockbuster deal, so I'll have my widescreen in hand this afternoon.

12. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

The last promotional they did with Shrek. I emailed them and asked. They said it was full screen only. No reason to think this time around would be any different.

13. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

If it is P&S only, I definitely won't go through the trouble. Unless I could exchange it at Walmart...

14. James_P_Clark

Just thought I'd let you all know that the Kia automotive deal for a free copy of this DVD with a test drive is a real steal. It arrived within 2 weeks so I'll give them major points for doing everything they can to sell a car.

I should point out that yes, the DVD is the full screen version but I suspect that most of you have a good enough relationship somewhere that an exchange for the widescreen version isn't a problem. I will also point out that when I walked in to my local K-Mart, the security device in the package set the alarm off so beware. I told them the deal, they know how often we shop there and the exchange was easy, maybe since I was a familiar face. Anyway, what a great deal.

Thought you may want to know.

Regards,
    jc