What's new

Free Hi-Rez Reviews from New Absolute Sound (1 Viewer)

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
I agree with him on "Ella and Louis".

I don't think it sounds as good as my Desert Island Disc. For sure not any better.

But, I disagree on Getz/Gilberto, that's a wonderful sounding copy with great material.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I wish they would have gone into more detail about the dvd-audio's sonic character, especially the stereo tracks. But I think they are letting some admiration of hi-rez PCM leak out: that line about "Harvest" sounding like a high grade of vinyl. But they didn't reveal whether this comment pertained to the 5.1 mix or the 192kHz stereo track.

But I guess I should be glad they are reviewing any dvd-audio's at all.

Linkin Park is "vacant"? I'll admit it isn't something the Smithsonian would be scrambling to archive, but gee! It's just-for-fun music. :cool: "One Step Closer" played loud is sooooo cool. And "My December" is actually a rather pretty song. Oh yea their new album is coming out in March:http://www.warnermusic.com.au/artist...25&newsid=2479

......having yet to arrive at a chosen presentation standard.
What's that supposed to mean? Everyone should adopt some polite, unobtrusive surround mix? I can basically get that by pushing the "DSP sound mode" button on my receiver.

Just a bunch of old farts! Baahh! :p)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I disagree with the low ratings given the "Ella and Louis" and "Gilberto/Getz" SACDs. While they aren't the finest sounding SACDs in my collection, they sound every bit as good as I hoped they would (and "Ella and Louis" sounds better). As for Louis' horn sounding really bright... well, duh! It's not a kazoo by any means, but it's certainly that "bright as brand-new penny" sound that characterizes Satch's hornplaying. And, yes, Louis' mic is probably a bit too hot, but that's the original recording that's at fault, not the SACD.

I'd wondered if my equipment might be to blame for this discrepancy, with a more revealing system perhaps showing all the flaws that I'm missing. But I'm not sure... we're not given an equipment list that those discs were reviewed on, but the reviewer does mention his "$200 SACD player", which is quite a bit cheaper than my C555ES. Maybe my system is more revealing than his? No way to really know without a full equipment list, and he doesn't provide one.

At any rate, here's a link to a discussion on the stevehoffman forums that provides IMO a much broader and more instructive review of these SACDs: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...0&pagenumber=1

If you're a fan of this music - and I certainly am, now more than ever - then don't deprive yourself on the basis of this review.

Lin Park

Second Unit
I picked up that "Ella and Louis" disc recently and think it sounds phenomenal. I can't imagine it sounding any better in any other digital format. Are those Desert Island discs still available or out-of-print?

Thanx,
Lin

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

I believe they are, at least I've still seen some on the shelves.

Don't misunderstand, the SACD sounds OK, but it's really not enough of a difference to warrant it's purchase, if you already own the D-I-D copy.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
Actually Al, I have the DID copies also (now former faves) and the Super Audio versions are much improved in terms of sonics (and artwork) IMHO.
SACD does better artwork? :D

What, does Louie's socks look cleaner on the cover? :D

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
Naxos recently came out with a SACD of Holst's Planets with David Lloyd-Jones conducting. The Pluto movement is missing (the original cd had the movement), but the SACD is fantastic. It's in multichannel and is a hybrid. It isn't in the US yet, but when it does get there, I would buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks