What's new

Free Fox Preview DVD With Popcorn (1 Viewer)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else, so...

Fox has produced an exclusive preview DVD of its upcoming films. It is available free on 85-ounce* bags of popcorn at these major theater chains in the U.S. and Canada: Regal Entertainment (Regal, Edwards and United Artists), Cinemark, Clearview, Century, Hoyt's and Famous Players.

It's called Movie Buzz and includes interviews, behind-the-scenes footage and/or trailers for X-Men 2 (not duplicated on the upcoming X-Men 1.5 SE), Daredevil, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Down With Love and Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. DVD-ROM features amount to Web links.

Most of the features are promotional, as one might expect, but most of these are highly anticipated movies and--hey--it's mostly free.

Here's what it looks like. It comes in a paper sleeve that's rubber-glued to the popcorn bag.

* That's what the press release says, although the bag my preview copy was attached to was much, much smaller--about the size of a lunch bag. I got mine from a PR firm, not at a theater.

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Randy,

My wife and daughter brought one of those home this afternoon when they took a friend to see LOTR:TTT(let's see now ... that's 3 times that my family has seen that movie - but I digress :) )

The disc is pretty good, especially since we're psyched about X2 and Daredevil. Hey, they can keep this up forever, IMO!

Jon Mercer

Second Unit
I saw an ad for this on the "slideshow" before a movie the other night, sadly no-one knew what I was talking about but the manager did say she will look into it for me...:frowning:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
:frowning: Off the top of my head, none of those chains are represented in Memphis! We have the very excellent Malco chain, plus Muvico and Ajay. General Cinema used to be here, but are gone...probably due to their poor service and quality.

I'd love to have one, but I guess it's not worth the postage to ask someone to send it to me. It's too bad I just can't walk into a theater and get one for the price of a film and some popcorn, though. :frowning:

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
It's too bad I just can't walk into a theater and get one for the price of a film and some popcorn
It should be noted that you don't have to buy a ticket--just the popcorn. That doesn't help you, of course, David, but others might like to know it.

As for your situation, David, the word is that Fox will be attaching this to some copies of X-Men 1.5 and other new Fox DVDs, but I don't know anything more now beyond that speck of a rumor. The Los Angeles Daily News reported that Fox ordered 1.6 million popcorn bags with the disc attached, but it said nothing about expanding the campaign to stores.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
As for your situation, David, the word is that Fox will be attaching this to some copies of X-Men 1.5 and other new Fox DVDs
Ahh...perhaps then that this is the "bonus disc" I have heard rumored about for giveaway with X-Men 1.5 at Best Buy and sister chains. "A bunch of trailers" is exactly what I heard that the bonus disc featured.

Brad M

Second Unit
My Best Buy ad says if you buy X1.5 or any other Fox disc you get a free dvd sampler. The picture in the ad shows it in a keep case with the 20th Century logo on the cover.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Yea, I got one last weekend, but did not keep it. This thing is stuck on the side of a popcorn bag that has butter all running down it. I am such a clean freak when it comes to my software and theater that there is no way I would put that in my dvd player. Now if it came stuck to the side of a bag with it being in a plastic wrapping I would.

Elvie

Stunt Coordinator
Ummm, perhaps this is a really, really silly question (see signature :b ) ... but let's assume that some of the butter (or whatever some theatres claim is butter) did get onto the disc. Is it possible to very carefully wash the goop off?

Just curious ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks