Free Enterprise Special Edition Finally Has A Release Date?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jake Yenor, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Jake Yenor

Jake Yenor Stunt Coordinator

2. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

Well, I got excited hearing the news and looked online. Anchor Bay's website does claim it is coming out March 7, and they also have a listing for a Best Buy Exclusive. Does anyone know what that is about?

Here is an image from DVD Empire which appears to be the new cover, since the two links Jake references still shows the older release:

[​IMG]

Man, I cannot wait! I loved this movie and cannot wait to double dip!

3. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    DVDfile has their review up: http://www.dvdfile.com/index.php?opt...=5336&Itemid=3

I kind of wish the original theatrical version was on there. Funny how Mark Altman and Robert Burnett were two of the biggest decriers of the Star Wars Special Editions, and now here they are inserting newly created footage into their film.

But, of course, at least the original has been released on DVD. [​IMG]

Still, I may get this. [​IMG] Very good movie.

4. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

Excuse my rant here, but why didn't they use DVD branching? Do production companies not like the feature? Is it expensive to do? I don't understand why more DVD's don't have that option. From the review link above, it looks like the consumer could have had both cuts easily, rather than only having the extended version.

I just don't get it. And it's making me angry. And you wouldn't like it when I'm angry.

5. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    It is complicated to do and I believe some early DVD players had problems with discs with that feature.

6. Dave Simkiss

Dave Simkiss Stunt Coordinator

Dave Simkiss
    My copy was sent out from playusa yesterday.

Funny how people in Britain importing DVD's from America sometimes get them faster than they appear on US shelves. Not that Im complaining [​IMG]

7. seanOhara

seanOhara Supporting Actor

The geniuses at the local branch of a certain national retailer put out all of next week's releases this week, so I picked this up along with the next three Fox noir title. I think this is one of the rare cases where the new cut is superior to the theatrical -- there are some really good moments with Bill that rounds out his character. However, in the Logan's Run fantasy, they've gone in and added a bunch of new CGI to the background. On the commentary, they joke that you can't do an extended cut of a sci-fi movie without new special fx, and yes the idea is kinda funny, but I really wish they had both cuts.

Of the new special features, the best are the commentaries, particularly the new one with Mark and Robert. There's a featurette where people involved with the film discuss their favorite episodes of Trek, but the choices are pretty mundane -- The Trouble with Tribbles, Devil in the Dark, etc. The pilot for a geek roundtable show is kinda interesting, but ultimately your listening to a bunch of geeks discuss movies that were out three years ago. And finally there's a sneak peek at Free Enterprise 2, which consists of Mark Altman talking about it in really general terms.