"Free Energy?" (Tilly Foundation)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Wright, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Anyone hear of this?
    http://www.tilleyfoundation.com/
    These people claim to have an electric DeLorean. It uses 12 car batteries and they've, supposedly, invented a device that allows them to drive as far as they want and keep the batteries topped off with no fuel whatsoever.
    Essentially, they're claiming perpetual motion. Supposedly, they will be at the Nashville Superspeedway on Saturday, September 7th. They're going to drive around all day long, only stopping to change drivers, and then show that the batteries are still 100% full when they're done.
    OK, it sounds like a bunch of bunk. But I want to know for sure.
    Is there anyone with a critical eye & mind near Nashville that can check this out next weekend? Either these people are complete morons, or they're really on to something. I honestly hope it's the latter, but I would think that an invention this extraordinary would have made front page news worldwide by now. These people should be richer than Bill Gates by now if what they say is true.
    Thoughts?

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I would have a glimmer of hope if the vehicle some external power source (solar cells, small fossil fuel engine, power cord, Libyan plutonium, etc) but what they are claiming just isn't possible.

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

If they have perpetual motion, why would they need 12 batteries?

/Mike

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

5. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

If the batteries are always charged, then what are they for?

6. Meaux

Meaux Stunt Coordinator

Why not?

Seems to me if you had a generator that ran off the wheels, you'd have it made. I've often thought of this and could not understand why we waste so much money with "hybrid" vehicles. Hydrogen vehicles are expensive to build. (at the present time)

We use DC motors to stop automatic doors. (for instance.

If they are right, what a mess it would create now.

7. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Found a link from about a year ago regarding the inventor.
    http://www.ntskeptics.org/news/news2001-06-16.htm
    Scroll down about half the page length to "Invention May Bend Rules Of Physics" portion.
    They definately claim they have a machine that provides more power than is given it.
    "We are generating more electricity than we're using," Kibbey said about their invention.
    Seems to me if you had a generator that ran off the wheels, you'd have it made.
    Most hybrid vehicles do indeed have such devices attached, so that they can regain some of the energy when braking.
    Cars today likewise have generators in them powered by the engine... its called an alternator.
    However the power generated by either device is far less than the power needed to push the vehicle in the first place.

8. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

9. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

10. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

12. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    You know what? It seems to me that I remember a guy who, about twenty years ago, claimed to have a device that could do the same trick. It was a voltage regulator that collected a charge (like a capacitor) over time and fed it back to the battery in a reverse-flow, sharp voltage spike. He readily acknowledged that it couldn’t provide more energy than was being consumed by the car’s motor, but he proposed that the batteries were responding to the very high voltage (but low energy) charging spike in a manner that somehow allowed them to remain topped off. He couldn’t explain the phenomenon, but claimed that he could prove it worked.

As a prelude to a public demonstration, he held up a small, 9-volt transistor battery and claimed that he had built a car that could run “on the current of this one, small, battery.” When demonstration time came, everyone was waiting to see this car that could run off of a single 9-volt transistor battery. Sure enough, the car ran. But its top speed was less than three miles per hour. Further examination of the car revealed that he had over ten thousand of those little 9-volt batteries in the car. Called to task on his claim that the car ran on a single battery, he readily explained that all the batteries were connected in series, providing over 90,000 volts DC (AHHH!), but only about 200 milliamps of current. And this was indeed what he claimed: The car ran on the current of one battery, which was a measly 200 milliamps.

After tooling around for a few hours, the car rolled to a stop. It’s batteries were drained, and the guy was laughed out of the spotlight.

Is this the same guy?

13. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I am pleased to see so many skeptics here! Isn't it great how clearly critical-thinking skills enable you to see the world? Now, let's talk cold fusion. ... [​IMG]

14. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

15. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

16. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Just curious, but can an EE major let me know how one determines if a battery is "topped off?"

Most car batteries I've seen work pretty well until they are absolutely dead. If you leave your lights on and drain it, just a few minutes of charging them gives them enough juice to start a car again. Seems to me that this guy probably will just give the batteries some sort of quick charge right at the end to give them enough juice to pass whatever test he administers.

17. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Danny: One can measure the voltage in a battery to determine where it's at. 12 volt lead acid batteries will actually produce up to ~14 volts when full and ~10 or less when dead.

This guy is claiming he will drive the car all day long using nothing but these 12 batteries and his device. If he successfully does this, it doesn't matter whether the batteries are full when he's done. Getting any sort of "real life" milage out of a standard automobile with only 12 car batteries for power is, as of yet, completely impossible.

18. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

19. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

C'mon you guys, we all know what he's got in that DeLorean! It's the flux capacitor!
    I like this statement under the "validation" section:

20. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave