What's new

Free DVD's From Total Movie Magazine (1 Viewer)

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
Yesterday I received a package of 40 movies on DVD from Total Movie Magazine - yes, the long promised and awaited free gift for the faithful subscribers. Here's what's there:

Battleship Potemkin
The General
Intolerance
Dr. Jekyll
Scrooge
Farewell To Arms
Cyrano
Road To Bali
Africa Screams
At War With The Army
Pajama Game
Dressed To Kill
Kennel Murder Case
Dick Tracy, Detective
Dick Tracy Meets Gruesome
Meet John Doe
His Girl Friday
The Stranger
Beat The Devil
Suddenly
Angel and The Badman
One Eyed Jacks
Boy In The Plastic Bubble
Cause For Alarm
Sabotage
Sherlock Holmes and The Woman In Green
Sherlock Holmes and The Secret Weapon
White Zombie
Carnival Of Souls
I Bury The Living
God Told Me To
Little Shop Of Horrors
Bucket Of Blood
The Terror
Dementia 13
Giant Gila Monster
Killer Shrews
Assassin Of Youth
Reefer Madness
The Brain That Wouldn't Die
______
Anyone else get theirs yet?

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
public domain quality, and even the newer movies included are full frame.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I'm still waiting on mine. I've called five times, and have been given five different dates that mine were supposed to be shipped out on. I was told this last time that they never get the amount of discs that they're supposed to, so they can't fill as many orders as they'd like. My newest, definite, set-in-stone ship date is July 15th. I plan on calling on July 16th to find out what my next definite, set-in-stone ship date is.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
I have yet to recieve my disks, in fact my subscription has run out. From the way Brad describes them, it won't be any great loss if they don't show up.

John.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Mine came pretty late, but they ended up sending me 2 :D I gave the other one to my parents. I've watched a few of them, One Eyed Jacks and Suddenly are letterboxed, The General and Intolerance are literally silent movies without even an audio signal encoded (I have The General on laserdisc with a piano score.) Anyone know if there's a good CD with the music for Intolerance that plays well with the movie?

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator
Exactly who the hell cares about any of these films?

I don't subscribe to TM, but would be MUCH more inclined to do so if I had a choice of 2-3 good movies I would watch, as opposed to 40 I wouldn't dare put on my bookshelf.

Brian E

Screenwriter
There are actually some pretty good movies in the set. They unfortunately look crappy though. It's about what most people expected when the set was first offered.

I like that they are now including independent films and some stuff they are getting from MGM as the features with each issue instead of the same old public domain stuff they used to include.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
BTW I read that their next issue will include "So Wrong They're Right", the 8-track documentary! I bought this on VHS, never thought it would see the light of day again! If anyone still needed a reason to subscribe, this is it.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
why buy a cd if you can get a great transfer of Intolerance from Image?
I don't care much for the magazine, or the DVDs, but here are three reasons to subscribe: 1. God Told Me To - this film is not on DVD. The movie has a cameo by Andy Kaufman. quality is crappy, though. 2. public domain titles which aren't available elsewhere in better quality. 3. So Wrong They're Right, next month.

And they might be including Wings of Desire on a future issue.

DavidEC

Stunt Coordinator
Many grip about the quality of the films.. myself .. I am more amazed that some of these films are even still in a form that can be shown.. with many of them being over sixty years old!

--David

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
God told me to? Isn't that a terrible film that uses footage of a naked Woman being sucked screaming into an Eagle from Space 1999? The big difference they flipped the Eagle upside down so it would look different. Yeah that's a keeper.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
Oddly enough, after complaining that I hadn't received mine yet on Thursday, they arrived yesterday (Friday). I would have liked a sturdier package, but otherwise I'm not too upset. I got what I expected.

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
I got mine a while back and then a couple of weeks later i recieved a bill stating that my subscription had been suspended for non-payment even though i had paid in full.

So i called them up and the guy says it shows on our computer that payment had been recieved, strange.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
It's blatantly obvious that this company is not capable of running a subscription division. Never, ever, have I heard of such widespread problems.

They need to stop taking orders for subsciptions immediately until they can get a system in place to handle it.

Anyone who subscribes from this point on is taking a real chance. Better to buy these PD movies off the shelf at the local drugstore!

GaryEA

Second Unit
Exactly who the hell cares about any of these films?
I don't subscribe to TM, but would be MUCH more inclined to do so if I had a choice of 2-3 good movies I would watch, as opposed to 40 I wouldn't dare put on my bookshelf.
Jake, when you say "these films", are you talking about the fact that TM is sending public domain quality discs, or the titles themselves?
If it's the latter, then I'd have to say that I would be one who cares.
:rolleyes

Brian E

Screenwriter
Anyone who subscribes from this point on is taking a real chance.
Actually reports are that new subscribers are having less problems than people who subscribed earlier. They were using an outside fullfillment house to handle subscriptions and they've now moved them in house. It seems there is something with integrating the info from the outside place into the inhouse system that has caused a good majority of the problem.

I'm not saying it excuses the way they've handled and continue to handle some issues, but I can understand it a little better and show a little more patience.

The best way to get help from them right now is to post in the customer service thread at DVD Talk where they are actively participating and trying to help people who have problems. Unfortunately email help has been hit or miss.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks