Free at last, free at last...I now own a riding lawnmower

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Kevin Alexander, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I now have a large portion of my life back. I feel like I have been freed from bondage. I feel POWERFUL. It is so hard to put into words how such a simple machine can change a man's life and give him reason to look forward to each day - not just to endure it, but to conquer it. My new Snapper riding lawnmower now let's me live each day to the fullest, no longer in fear of the labor intensive chore known as cutting the lawn. As God is my witness, I will NEVER push another lawnmower again. Can anyone else relate? Have you had the life altering experience known as a riding lawnmower?

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

When I was in highschool my parents had a house on a ONE ACRE lot, and it was all grass. They bought a riding mower (cheapie, nothing near as nice as the snapper) and didn't like how it cut, so we mowed it every week with a kubota push mower. Not only that, they didn't like to mulch so we bagged one acre of grass clippings. It sucked
    (if you want to know one acre take about 12 55 gallon trash bags of clippings)

3. Kevin Alexander

I also might add that this is a used Snapper - about 1.5 years old.

4. Greg Rakaska

Greg Rakaska Stunt Coordinator

I achieved that same feeling of freedom, but took a different approach. I sold my 4000 sq ft multi-level house with the tree ladened, acre of grass, multi-level wooden deck with built-in hot tub, etc., and moved into one story 1500 sq ft house with a "postage stamp" sized yard.

I am in heaven. My free time, is once again "free", I do not turn into Mr. Groundskeeper/Handyman for 10 to 12 hours every weekend.

I enjoyed the large home, big lot, etc. when the kids were home, but after they left, and I added another decade to my life, it was time to downsize. I cannot express how much my wife and I enjoy our new lifestyle. We now have time to travel, visit museums, visit the kids, grandkids, etc.

Obviously, this choice would only appeal to some. I still have many friends that truly love large homes on large lots, and enjoy being a groundskeeper/handyman every spare moment of their "free" time. I guess I am just burned out, and have the good old "been there, done that" attitude.....

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I'm with you Greg. I'm buying a townhouse, forget yardwork (ok so it's all I can afford but I like to dream that it's really for the lifestyle.. [​IMG] )

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Down with lawns! Mowing is the most futile thing in the world. Kill it all, astroturf it, paint it green. Problem solved. [​IMG]

7. David McGough

David McGough Second Unit

I find if very relaxing to mow my 2 acres. It sounds weird
    but I just love it. My dogs love the time I spend with them
    on the mower. I have a acre pond I trim up and after I finish it looks great... I know your thinking he must be a BOREING kind of guy.
    I think it has to do also with age. I'm 48 and values do change. 20 years ago would not be caught spending that much time in my yard.

I have a X Mark Zero turn 27 hp Kawasaki with 60" cut.

Dmac

8. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Dave and Greg both make sense...

I'm finding the self-propelled job a bit of a problem on the one acre (if it was smoothe lawn, it might be a lot easier)

What's holding me back on the Ride-em variety, is why havent't they been adapted to allow installing a plow on the front for winter use, when the snow on the 100 foot driveway forces us to hire a contractor for snow removal? [​IMG]

9. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

10. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

My dad had a Craftsman 12HP mower for 17 years. It had a plow attachment and was able to power a blower. I'm pretty sure all Craftsman riding mowers can handle a plow. I can highly recommend these Sears tractors. "The old grey mare" as she was affectionately known was left outside through 10-12 winters, uncovered. After the 5 year extended warranty ran out, she hardly ever had maintenance except to recharge the battery or put air in the tires. She did have her belts replaced around year 14-15 and we sharpened the blades every few years. We were going to change the oil at one point, but we were afraid the shock to the engine would kill it. We finally replaced it not because she was dead but becuase my dad wanted a new toy and I was buying. As far as I know, it is still working for the guy we sold it to, 4 years later.

11. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Kevin, just bring that bad boy down to my house in Smyrna so I can see it in action for myself! [​IMG]

I've been seriously considering getting one, but my lot is right at 0.6 acres, which I really don't think is quite riding mower territory yet. Although, if I keep having to mow every 4 days, it might be worth it.

12. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I will hopefully be in the "more lawn than you can shake a stick at" boat soon, and yes, the riding mower is looming high on the wish list.

I agree that it is strange that most mowers can't handle attachments, for that you need a "yard tractor", but I refuse to even consider $8-20K for a glorified lawn mower! Maybe I'll have a different opinion after manually cutting that half acre...

Of course it would be cheaper to get a goat...

13. TerryS

TerryS Agent

I have .6 acres, as do all of my neighbors. They all own the new John Deere 110. $1799 is a bargain I think. I'm buying mine next weekend. .6 is definitely a bit much for a push mower

14. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

... so many smart-ass comments come to mind about used Snappers. [​IMG]

But I'll behave and just say ... ENJOY it Kevin! [​IMG]

Me, I've got a postage stamp front lawn (no turf in the back yet... new house) that takes me about 5 minutes to mow.

...but... when I was growing up I woulda killed for a riding mower for the HUGE front lawn my folks had!!!!

15. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Tony, you picked out "used Snappers" as a target for smart-ass comments? I personally would like to make one about this:

16. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

17. Kevin Alexander

18. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Yards in CA aren't big enough to need a riding lawn mower. I spent so much time as a teenager mowing yards for $$ that I hate mowing the yard. Thankfully my yard's not very big but it's still a pain in the butt to take care of. I just bought an electric mulching mower to replace my old gas one. No more having to worry about gas and emptying the bag all the time and it's much more environment friendly. [​IMG]

19. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I grew up with a 1 acre lawn to mow. To make it interessting my dad bought cheap sprinklers with weak springs that would allow it to pop up from the suction of the blade over it. I was quite adept at replacing sprinklers.

Now I have almost 1 acre as well.... and a service that mows it, fertilizes it, trims, weeds and repairs sprinklers for $100 month. I only wish his mower wasn't so noisy, it makes it hard to hear my HT.

Here is something you may want to investigate:
    http://www.friendlymachines.com/
    It would get a distant second to my persent service. I swore when I left home that I'd never mow another acer again! Rideing or otherwise.

20. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I can push mow my yard in under 30 minutes, so no riding lawnmower is in my future. Since it's been raining incessantly these past few months, I've been having to wait more than a week to mow the grass, and that takes a double mow effort to make the yard look respectable (rather than a bunch of cow chewing up the yard for its cud).